Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How do you honestly know if you........

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2008, 10:27 AM
Bryan Watts
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Enough mental masturbation...go racing already.
Old 10-03-2008, 10:45 AM
M758
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by BostonDMD
are becoming a better driver/racer, besides your lap times?

Are there any factors to help you determine your progress?
Race finishes. Ability to make passes or defend. Ability to adapt to changing conditions.

In the end you can only progress so far in DE land because there is no competition to gauge your performance level. In racing you gauge your performance vs your competition. This is one of the reasons I started racing in a spec class years ago. I wanted to really see how good(not good) I was. Now 6 years later I am still working on it. The interesting thing is that despite driving the same car in the same trim level for years I have differene competition and new racers come in all the time. Most are starting out, but some come from other forms of racing and are good out of the box. Plus I have been learning to really feel and the car interms of how it handles in various places on the track. This feel is leading to very detailed set-up changes that I am using to gain tenths on the track.

So again. That is one major reason I race. Competition forces me to work harder and refine skills. I think I would be bored in DE just going round and round. In spec racing the competition keeps me going especially know I can spend money to make the car faster. I have use skill and smarts to do it.
Old 10-03-2008, 01:07 PM
MUSSBERGER
uninformed gas bag
(contemplating on whether gas bag is one or two words)
Rennlist Member

Received 171 Likes on 125 Posts

How do you know if you are getter better at the Dental arts? More repeat patients? Less cavities? higher billing rates?less rinsing and spitting? pull two teeth at once?hotter dental assistants. on your third wife?
Old 10-03-2008, 01:29 PM
BostonDMD
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by MUSSBERGER
How do you know if you are getter better at the Dental arts? More repeat patients? Less cavities? higher billing rates?less rinsing and spitting? pull two teeth at once?hotter dental assistants. on your third wife?
What?.........
Tired of Wall Street and looking for a new profession?.......
Old 10-03-2008, 02:28 PM
DarkSideDE
Pro

Paolo,

When you were Green - you knew you were doing better when you were recommended for Blue. After a few more DEs - you were recommended for White - Solo. You've moved up to Black, so you know you are still learning and doing well. Going on to racing is another milestone. Maybe becoming an instructor and giving back to the clubs that helped you get ahead could be another milestone for you.

However, one thing I've learned from the track - you have to give back. And in being there, the more you are there, the more respect you seem to get from your fellow track junkies. So, as you know more people there, and every time you get off the track there are those willing to discuss it with you -- and you are showing them the same courtesy -- the respect grows and you will see -- you have grown as well.

It's all in the learning process.
Old 10-03-2008, 07:14 PM
Brian P
Rennlist Member

Received 29 Likes on 11 Posts

are becoming a better driver/racer, besides your lap times?

Are there any factors to help you determine your progress?
In a DE environment, lap times are about the best there is. The only other way would be to find someone in a similar car/class who is also trying to find the limit of their car.

In a race environment, you'll find out after every session when you go to pick up the time sheets. Then again, some people might still be learning the track, so you may have to wait for qualifying to see if you are progressing.
Old 10-03-2008, 07:27 PM
944TURBOS
Racer

Originally Posted by 38D
True, but you asked how you know you get better. Most people peak at some point and stop getting better. Its hard to keep pushing yourself and improving. There are 4 stages if you ask me:

Peak lap times -- can you go just as fast as anyone else
Consistency -- you can repeat that peak lap time over and over with a tenth or two
Race craft -- you learn to pass, setup passes and defend without blocking
Winning -- the end goal

Lather, rinse, repeat.
Exactly....what a lot of people starting to race do not understand is....the fastest lap time is not always going to get you the win....Consistency and race craft HAVE to be a part of your arsenal......When you become good at setting someone up for a pass, it is one of the greatest feelings/abilities in a race car. It takes patience as well. Many many times people stick their noses in too early, pass where its not really feasible, instead of waiting for the right moment. There are times you get caught too. I have been setup in the past and passed by certain cars and after a while you learn how to avoid it! This is all what makes racing exciting. Great post Colin.
Old 10-03-2008, 07:57 PM
DrJupeman
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Bryan Watts
Enough mental masturbation...go racing already.
This is the best post of the thread.
Old 10-03-2008, 09:48 PM
allegretto
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Easy to read the motivation and nuances behind each post. All except perhaps the initial post. First you eschewed the pure objective (data/lap times). Then the pure racer's response. Then the metaphysical/existential question.

So I'm puzzled as to exactly what it is you're looking for. Meaning? Cosmic significance?

Contemplate the Gita. Go to a Monastery. Pull some f-ing teeth. Win a race. Whatever...
Old 10-03-2008, 10:01 PM
Bull
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by allegretto
Easy to read the motivation and nuances behind each post. All except perhaps the initial post. First you eschewed the pure objective (data/lap times). Then the pure racer's response. Then the metaphysical/existential question.

So I'm puzzled as to exactly what it is you're looking for. Meaning? Cosmic significance?

Contemplate the Gita. Go to a Monastery. Pull some f-ing teeth. Win a race. Whatever...
Every post, no matter what is said, gives Dr. Pain that which he is seeking.
Old 10-03-2008, 10:13 PM
BostonDMD
Rennlist Member

I feel lots of hostility from some posters.......

Is that a sign of insecurity or unfullfillment.......or both?

If you have nothing significant to add......why do you even bother?.......

It just magnifies your weakenesses......
----------------------------------------------------------------------

To the posters with good inputs, (yes Colin you are included in those )....
Thank you.....
Old 10-03-2008, 10:21 PM
DarkSideDE
Pro

Senti l'amore ...
Old 10-03-2008, 10:43 PM
BostonDMD
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Bryan Watts
The good news is that I can drive a car faster than you.
I don't doubt it......
So why not share the knowledge with this slow folk?........
Old 10-04-2008, 09:21 AM
Bull
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I feel lots of hostility from some posters.......

Is that a sign of insecurity or unfullfillment.......or both?

If you have nothing significant to add......why do you even bother?.......

It just magnifies your weakenesses......

That is a funny one Doc. You keep telling yourself that.........(and sorry if my posts above went over your head).
Old 10-04-2008, 09:35 AM
sechsgang
Rennlist Member

Received 1,028 Likes on 480 Posts

pony up and do a koni challenge race...youll see where your really at...(if you can just up and move into a koni car with no prior experience and do well, your not doing too badly...

Quick Reply: How do you honestly know if you........