Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is anyone else following the GTS Challenge drama that is playing out?

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2008, 04:52 PM
Sean F
NASA Racer
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 20 Posts

There may be a revolt from the regional directors on the east coast if this continues. They can't afford smaller fields right now.
Old 09-30-2008, 04:56 PM
M758
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Lemming
Joe,

Is 944 Cup going to participate in the Nationals next year? I thought that they were looking elsewhere as well?
( I assume you were refering to me if not sorry)

I am not a part of 944 cup. I am involved only in 944-spec. As such I do not want to make any statements about what plans 944 cup may have for National in 2009. I will leave that to the 944 cup guys.
Old 09-30-2008, 04:58 PM
BrianKeithSmith
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I hope it survives. The GTS crowd is a good group.
Old 09-30-2008, 04:59 PM
stuttgart46
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts

I just got an email from NASA saying that Barr had resigned but NASA would continue to support GTS. I hate crap like this.
Old 09-30-2008, 05:02 PM
TraqGear
Former Vendor

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Lemming
I hope that this can be worked out, I really enjoy racing GTS!
Ditto. NASA Southeast has a great schedule. I planned on running the season and doing nationals next year...no matter where they are at. Gotta lot of friends in the SE region.
Old 09-30-2008, 05:35 PM
MTosi
User

This is realy to bad, NASA has some great series (vs. SCCA) I was very interested in getting into, it's to bad (if I'm hearing this right) they feel need to assert their power over them.
Old 09-30-2008, 06:54 PM
magnetic1
Racer

Originally Posted by John H
Veloce, you don't have me blocked do you?

Good news for PCA and BMWCCA if you ask me.
John, problem with that is... that IS the main reason why there is no GTS out west. GTS Challenge runs with PCA and BMWCCA which limits development of the class. At least that was what I was told.
Old 09-30-2008, 08:10 PM
Tom W
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've considered racing in GTS to boost the track time at a typical NASA/PRC weekend but, as mentioned, there effectively is no GTS out here. In northern CA, most Porsche racing is with PRC (NASA) and we already have our own "spec" rules for our GTS and GTL classes. We have our own run group in NASA race weekends that is Porsche only. In southern CA, most Porsche racing is POC based.
Old 09-30-2008, 09:00 PM
Mahler9th
Three Wheelin'

Received 167 Likes on 111 Posts

Sorry to hear about the difficulties... I have heard good things about GTS. I hope that all parties can work things out.

As far as I know, there is no GTS activity here in California-- as Tom describes, it seems that most Porsche racers run under PCA, POC or NASA sanction, the latter as part of the Porsche Racing Challenge Series. The Series and its rules are owned/copyrighted by NASA. WHen the Porsche Racing Club was formed, it became quickly clear that none of the folks involved wanted any of the liability that relates to sanctioning, hence our relationship with NASA. We have a few NASA officials-- the chief and tech stewards... NASA handle everything else and do a great job. We have had growth despite the lack of marketing (our own fault... not NASA's).

Anyway, I hope that the folks involved here can get things worked out so folks can go racin.'
Old 09-30-2008, 09:04 PM
mikew968
Rennlist Member

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

Like John H I have been getting updated since nationals on issues of who owns the name GTS challenge and the rule set and it is not NASA. But, as each state is part of the United States we were happy to race under the overall banner of NASA. Now it appears NASA wants more control over something they didn't start or really help grow. We could have existed just like E30 and 944 cup but it is not to be. GTS is more than willing to work with NASA (especially the regional NASA) and work together to have the best series in racing.

Mike
Old 09-30-2008, 10:19 PM
mikew968
Rennlist Member

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

The announcement has just been made of the GTS nationals at Bluegrass Motorsports for the last weekend of September 2009. It will be on track #4. Details at gtschallenge.com

Mike
Old 09-30-2008, 11:05 PM
911racer
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Guys,

I would not worry about GTS. It will come through this. This is no different then struggles other groups have gone through. This one has just become a LOT more public than the series needs it to be.

The great thing about GTS vs PCA or others is that it offers actual trophies and end of the year points and an end of the year championship race.

I think that if the folks out west promoted it as they should, then there would be a good following there too.

I just want to race. I do not need the politics and I do not want the series to be torn apart by the current issues. Too much talk and too much what if at this point riles up folks to make too many rash decisions.

Ed
Old 09-30-2008, 11:44 PM
FTS
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

http://www.nasaforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=44&t=24198

and

http://www.nasaforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=44&t=24034

and of course:

http://www.nasaforums.com/viewtopic....st=0&sk=t&sd=a
Old 09-30-2008, 11:53 PM
MTosi
User

Originally Posted by FlyingToaster
FlyingToaster
I have always wondered who the heck stole my nickname!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 10-01-2008, 12:11 AM
wanna911
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I can understand to an extent why NASA would have a problem with seperate Championship for a class that races with them. GTS may be great, but until it can host a series on it's own, it will be dependant on a carrier (PCA, SCCA, NASA etc.). And if you start your own championship, that doesnt involve them, others may try and follow suit, and not ony that, you are DEFINITELY going to take several racers from Nationals because they'd rather go where the better competition and for east coast guys proximity is better. I can understand NASA's problem with allowing GTS to just be freelance and do what you want unless something hasnt been mentioned.

However ruining the sponsorship deal is foul and bogus and IMO warrants GTS doing their own championship elsewhere if NASA will be squandering sponsorship opportunites and limiting the growth and expansion of the class. So from that aspect I am totally in support.

Quick Reply: Is anyone else following the GTS Challenge drama that is playing out?