Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is anyone else following the GTS Challenge drama that is playing out?

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2008, 05:55 PM
John H
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 69 Likes on 49 Posts

I think the turnout for the Nationals at Miller in 09 will be important. Last year there weren't many GTS cars consistently running west of the Mississippi outside of Texas. If the turnout is poor,I don't think I'll be towing 2000 miles to race the same guys I race in my backyard in 2010. If turnout is respectable, I think the number of east coasters appearing will increase for 2010. I, for one, just need to see something tangible before I plan a tow like that.

Why haven't west coasters (excepting a very, very small number) appeared at Mid Ohio over the last three years? Probably the same reasons most east coasters won't be in Utah.
Old 10-19-2008, 03:24 AM
onefastviking
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by John H
I think the turnout for the Nationals at Miller in 09 will be important. Last year there weren't many GTS cars consistently running west of the Mississippi outside of Texas. If the turnout is poor,I don't think I'll be towing 2000 miles to race the same guys I race in my backyard in 2010. If turnout is respectable, I think the number of east coasters appearing will increase for 2010. I, for one, just need to see something tangible before I plan a tow like that.

Why haven't west coasters (excepting a very, very small number) appeared at Mid Ohio over the last three years? Probably the same reasons most east coasters won't be in Utah.
I'm thinking the trip from Cali to Ohio is a little further than either Ohio or Cali to Miller, I am sure that was an influence to many. I think California racers turnout across the board for NASA Champs in Ohio was weak I am guessing that was some influence in part atleast in moving it to Miller. This is something SCCA and now NASA have always discussed, it's impossible to always make everyone totally happy. I look forward to racing another new track, I hear Miller is great although lacks the landmarks - not a big deal for me anyway since I just drive the track and don't use visuals. In the big picture, towing another 500 or even 1000 miles is a small portion of what we spend in racing, the time off of work is a little harder but we can always use a few days off extra for our therapy sessions.

I know Texas will be well represented, I am guessing we will see more AZ as well as Colorado and I am sure California as well.
Old 10-19-2008, 09:26 AM
PedroNole
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

I can't believe I missed this thread....Oh well, for once I was probably doing something responsible with my time.

The ONLY reason I race with NASA is GTS Challenge. The ONLY reason I'm interested in GTS Challenge is good, competitive racing for points and a championship. For guys racing Porsche's or BMW's in the southeast, GTS Challenge and PBOC are virtually the only places to go. I've raced with SCCA but there is just no good place (class) to put an older Porsche or BMW in and have decent competition.

Until the e-mails from Mark, I had no idea GTS Challenge wasn't something set up by NASA. Instead of having to take sides, I'm glad that the two sides are talking. As far as going to Miller, I wouldn't go. I was going to Mid-Ohio this year until I blew up my motor 3 weeks before the race. I will be at Bluegrass in '09.
Old 10-19-2008, 10:46 AM
mikew968
Rennlist Member

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

I was able to attend the open house at Blue Grass yesterday and the track is fantastic. They have a ton of work to go but will finish the base coat of of paving this fall and do the polymer asphalt in the spring and open in March/April. The track looks to flow very well, has many "banked" corners and has some very nice elevation changes. The last corner is similar to the carousel at Mid Ohio. This looks to be a very nice place for the GTS Octoberfest next year.

Mike
Old 10-20-2008, 10:37 AM
gtschallenge
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Talk is cheap. Facts are everything. On this forum and a few others, several folks are being very outspoken about GTS east coast and Midwest drivers not going to Utah, and how that is bad sportsmanship on our part. Now all these Texas boys are saying how they are going to Miller in 2009, when only 3 of them have ever been to and National at MidOhio, (which is 400-500 miles closer than Miller, and a large GTS field was a guarantee). The fact is, a grand total of 4 cars from west of the Mississippi have showed up for all 3 Nationals held at MidOhio, and none of the 4 where from west of the Rockies. Oh yeah, one of the Texas drivers also owns the Texas Region of NASA. Where was all this out cry from Texas to get more west coasters to come to MidOhio the last three years?

So last month, a more than 90% majority made it clear that they were not going to Utah. This left us with a huge 6 week void in our schedule. A golden opportunity presented itself to GTS, and we took it. Featured series in a three day event the coincides with the worlds largest Oktoberfest celebration, so we jumped on it. NASA will still have GTS at Miller in 2009, everyone that was going to Miller will still be going, and everyone that isn't going to Miller now has a place to run in September 2009.

Now you guys in the middle of the country have a choice for next year, or better yet, you can run both, they are two weeks a part. So quit your whining and be glad that you have a choice and stop running down east coast GTS for exercising our own right of choice.

One last thing, take it for what it's worth:
Here's the thing that gets lost in all of this. Our racing is a hobby. I doubt that anyone of us got into it for the fame and glory. The idea of a "National Championship" is just plain silly at this level. The SCCA has tried for years to do it, and have failed. If the event is on one side of the country, then you are lucky to get 10% of the field from the other side. If you move it to the middle of the country, then you may get a better balanced field, but it will be down on entries. I've always said that NASA was making a mistake by trying to copy the SCCA with a big National event. Instead, they should have held a west championship and an east championship. Both events would have be well attended and then after a few years, there may be enough momentum built up to actually have a National championship. Also, let's not forget that to qualify for NASA Nationals, you don't need to be at the top of the points race in your region, you just need to start 5 races through out the year. Technically, you don't have to complete 1 single lap all year to qualify for Nationals.
Old 10-21-2008, 03:50 PM
944Cup
Rennlist Member

Received 46 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by gtschallenge
I've always said that NASA was making a mistake by trying to copy the SCCA with a big National event. Instead, they should have held a west championship and an east championship. Both events would have be well attended .... Also, let's not forget that to qualify for NASA Nationals, you don't need to be at the top of the points race in your region, you just need to start 5 races through out the year. Technically, you don't have to complete 1 single lap all year to qualify for Nationals.
Agree with the dual Championships, just makes more sense from a participation standpoint, and with 2 championships you put really big smiles on 2 people instead of one. Made this suggestion to NASA earlier this year, but they said is wasn't feasible.

On the qualifying for Nationals issue, think another flaw in the NASA Championship format is that you are not required to run even one regional race during the year in the class for which you are competing to be National Champion. Somehow they just seems to be messed up.

But, it's their sandbox, so ........

Quick Reply: Is anyone else following the GTS Challenge drama that is playing out?