Default NASA 944 CUP RACE SUMMIT PT-8/23/08

http://vimeo.com/1706192
enjoy !
v-tach
Old 09-17-2008, 03:30 PM
DanR
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

not being a racer, looked like the red car on 56 seconds reacted very late and made the mistake of locking up rather than going off. Is this the case?
Old 09-18-2008, 12:17 PM
gums
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Cool video, I think you're giving up a lot coming off the carousel and it costs you all the way to 10. Unless the pavement was bad there, I can't tell.
Old 09-18-2008, 12:18 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 290 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by gums
Cool video, I think you're giving up a lot coming off the carousel and it costs you all the way to 10. Unless the pavement was bad there, I can't tell.
Pavement was scrap from T5 through T7 but is repaired now...
Old 09-18-2008, 12:24 PM
schwank
Herr Unmöglich
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yeah that little incident around 1 minute was ugly. Was that DD in the black and yellow parked just short of the spun red car? Either way, ugly.

I kind of agree with Dan. Given that the red and black/yellow cars were stopped already it seems there should have been enough time to see that coming.

Glad to see I'm not the only 944 around with a tail that likes to move about actively in corners. These are active little cars sometimes.
Old 09-19-2008, 12:43 AM
944Cup
Rennlist Member

Received 46 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by schwank
Was that DD in the black and yellow parked just short of the spun red car? Either way, ugly.
Not me, that was my kid sittin' there. Just something else to think about when I'm on track, wondering if the Boy is goin' to making out of there unscathed. Was glad to see him in the rear view a few laps later.
Old 09-21-2008, 11:55 AM
aj986s
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Wow! Cool video. First time I got a chance to see what happend from behind.

I was the guy in the Red 159 that got hit. There was a lot of traffic still (1st lap) and I got caught on the outside going into T5. Unfortunately, the Yellow car was blocking my view of what was happening. When he saw the Yellow/Black car come to a stop, he darted to the outside to avoid hitting, but unfortunately I was already there.

Some minor fender damage, but the strut bracket sheared and my race was done at that point. I did manage to limp it back to the pits.

Here's view from my car of what happened.
http://vimeo.com/1779029
Note that I added a tiny bit of commentary when I realized my steering wasn't working.....

The driver of the spun Red car, came over after the race and apologized profusely for causing the whole mess. He then helped me to track down a loaner strut (thanks DD!), and we were able to reassemble the corner, including banging out most of the fender. We checked the toe afterwards, and had to adjust quite a bit, but got it fairly straight. Control arm was apparently bent a bit, but we didn't see any obvious cracks. I was able to run it on Sunday afterall.

Unfortunate it happened, but it wasn't really anybody's fault, other than avoiding spun cars. It all happened so fast, and tuff to see in the traffic. Officials spoke with everyone, and saw a couple of videos. No 13/13's were issued. I guess its like they say....that's racing.

Last edited by aj986s; 09-22-2008 at 01:34 PM.
Old 09-21-2008, 12:09 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 290 Likes on 172 Posts

You video is private, you need to change it to public..
Old 09-21-2008, 12:14 PM
aj986s
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Gary R.
You video is private, you need to change it to public..
Oops...fixed it. Thanks for the heads up.
Old 09-21-2008, 08:11 PM
aj986s
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by DanR
not being a racer, looked like the red car on 56 seconds reacted very late and made the mistake of locking up rather than going off. Is this the case?
Had I been able to see exactly what was happening around the corner, I might have taken some evasive action, and gone off track to avoid. Unfortunately, my view was substantially blocked by the Yellow car next to me, and I thought we were all going to simply drive around the outside of T5. I think the locking up of the LF was caused when I had to slow more, when I saw what appeared to be the Yellow car slowing. I still expected that we'd be able to hold our lines around the turn. I never expected him to suddenly dart right and into me.
Old 09-21-2008, 10:48 PM
DanR
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

it is amazing how from the first video it looked so clear cut however after having seen you video Tony is it ceratinly not as clear cut as first appeared. Accept you point that you could not see exactly what was happening but from the camera you can see the car blocking the track and the yellow car had no where to go but off . tough break!
Old 09-21-2008, 11:22 PM
FTS
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Sorry to hear about the damage Tony; you always keep a high morale and positive attitude man, I envy you for that.
Old 09-22-2008, 08:31 AM
aj986s
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by DanR
it is amazing how from the first video it looked so clear cut however after having seen you video Tony is it ceratinly not as clear cut as first appeared. Accept you point that you could not see exactly what was happening but from the camera you can see the car blocking the track and the yellow car had no where to go but off . tough break!
From my in-car video, you do catch a glimpse of the spinning car, briefly between 2 of the cars ahead of me. But I missed it. I was trying to keep track of cars on my left, and in front of me, and was reacting to those. Plus I was leery of the Black car; he had just forced me to take a very tight line thru T4, including driving over the curbing; not somewhere I prefer to be. He then got inside of me for T5, which further contributed to my blocked view around the corner. This was the same car that had gone off in T1 earlier. And now that I think about it, the window pillar/roll cage, was probably also blocking my view of the spinning car, due to my different vantage point from the seat. I was simply expecting us to proceed thru the turn. I never expected/saw that it was blocked. IMHO, 1st laps are always the hardest because of traffic; much easier once things spread out. Unfortunate that I couldn't see better and plan accordingly, but I guess my lesson learned is to provide for more room between cars during the 1st lap.
Old 09-22-2008, 08:51 AM
aj986s
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by FlyingToaster
Sorry to hear about the damage Tony; you always keep a high morale and positive attitude man, I envy you for that.
Thanks FTS. Sure, I was pissed when it happened. But getting mad afterwards wasn't going to make it any better. This sport has its risks, and I guess you have to accept them if you want to also enjoy the fun sides of it. FWIW, the comraderie of the 944Cup "family" was incredible! I had a lot of help getting the car back together, and I appreciated every bit of it!

Quick Reply: NASA 944 CUP RACE SUMMIT PT-8/23/08