First DE Event Thunderhill 9/21

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2008, 02:01 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,799 Likes on 2,375 Posts

Originally Posted by lawjdc
Jon: Be sure and show up early so you can get a ride around the track - just to see where you are going. THill has two completely blind corners that you would have to stop your car and get out to see where the road goes. No kidding! But you will have a great time and the GGR instructors are really helpful.

I'll be there also - car #62 - now with CCW black wheels. Stop by and say hi.

-Doug
TWO blind corners. i close my eyes on every corner.
btw, is your mechanic going? i need his magic on the noise issue.
Old 09-15-2008, 09:58 AM
InTheAir
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Despite the fact that many here say don't worry about tire pressures for your first DE, I have to disagree slightly.

I've only done one DE (about two weeks ago) and used the same mantra--don't worry about tire pressures. I set my car at the stock pressure (33/39 cold) with PS2s. However, during the day, with hot pressures at 39/46, my rear was very loose (note that my instructor also had me turn off PSM). Because of the high pressures, no PSM, and my newbie driving style, that rear end got away from me a couple of times (read:180 degree spin).

After posting here for help, I've learned that the PS2s get pretty greasy/slippery above about 38 psi HOT. So, I was way over and definitely felt it.

You might want to just keep this in mind if you run in to a similar problem.

Have fun.
Old 09-15-2008, 12:30 PM
Tom W
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There's a difference between saying "don't worry about a few pounds, check them after a session" and ignoring them. Clearly they need to be a bit lower than you normally run them to start (32/34 or 34/36) and check them after the first couple sessions to see how high they are getting (and bleed down if needed).

No offense to Jeff, but if the rear end was getting loose, the instructor should have been having you dial it back a bit to ensure you stay in control.

One other think to use to prepare - go to the GGR web site and follow the links to get the track description that Hank Watts wrote. Study it before the event so you know the corner numbers and what type of corner they are. It will help a lot (and if I'm your instructor, I'd sure appreciate that you made the effort to prepare).

John: Rich will be there helping me with car setup issues. You should be able to pick his brain. This will be my last event before a 4 hour enduro at Infineon in October (he will be my co-driver) and we want to ensure all is ready for it.
Old 09-15-2008, 01:40 PM
InTheAir
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Tom W
No offense to Jeff, but if the rear end was getting loose, the instructor should have been having you dial it back a bit to ensure you stay in control.
In hindsight, I feel the same way. I think the instructor should have been a bit more proactive about tire pressure, because my car was clearly "eager" to show its behind.
Old 09-15-2008, 02:02 PM
mossjn
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks alot for the moral support, suggestions and "helping out the new guy".

I will heed all advice. On the tires, although I won't focus too much on this, my stock 19" Michelin Pilots call out cold pressure of 37/44. Sounds like track pressure when cold should be quite a bit lower.

Tom W - I will try and make Casa Ramos Friday evening. Heading to Half Moon Bay in 5 minutes for a corporate golf tournament.

Any tips on places to crash (poor word choice) Friday night.

Thanks again everyone for your help.

Jon
Old 09-15-2008, 02:40 PM
sturm
Racer

Get a track map (online) and watch some video so you know the turns by number and kinda what to expect. Make some notes on the map from looking at the video like where to be at the entrance to each turn and look for turn in points.
The biggest source of info though will be all those friendly guys in the pits

wish I could be there

'93rsa
Old 09-15-2008, 02:44 PM
Wreck Me Otter
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Baymont Inn in Willows is the best local place...
Old 09-15-2008, 02:51 PM
lawjdc
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by mooty
TWO blind corners. i close my eyes on every corner.
btw, is your mechanic going? i need his magic on the noise issue.
John: no wonder you are so fast! My coach never told me about the eyes thing. I just checked and my mechanic is not going to THill for the GGR weekend. You may need to drive up to Reno if you want him to do the Laguna Seca mod.
Old 09-15-2008, 02:54 PM
InTheAir
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by mossjn
I will heed all advice. On the tires, although I won't focus too much on this, my stock 19" Michelin Pilots call out cold pressure of 37/44. Sounds like track pressure when cold should be quite a bit lower.
Jon -

Just note that the 37/44 pressure is the pressure that is listed in the door jamb, but the manual calls out 33/39 cold for a partially loaded configuration (i.e. two people, no bags).
Old 09-15-2008, 04:13 PM
Tom W
Addict
Rennlist Member

Jon: As Kim said, the Baymont is the best (IMO). Casa Ramos is in the parking lot of the Best Western next door (aka the Golden Pheasant). That's the second choice. The Baymont is clearly visible from the I-5 exit that you need (the 2nd Willows exit).

FWIW, given the tire info provided, I'd probably start at 32/36 on Saturday morning.
Old 09-15-2008, 06:39 PM
earlyapex
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 62 Likes on 32 Posts

Role call for Casa Ramos!
Old 09-15-2008, 09:37 PM
Tom W
Addict
Rennlist Member

Eric: I'll be there (I'll be there Friday for the HOD event too). Look for my trailer, I'll try and save you space (assuming you Black Sheep will allow yourselves to be seen associating with me). I think I have some Black Sheep wine in the Vinotheque that I'll bring along...
Old 09-15-2008, 10:46 PM
earlyapex
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 62 Likes on 32 Posts

I'll take you up on the wine! I will try to bring up a bottle of Solis (Gilroy) Merlot.
Old 09-15-2008, 10:54 PM
Carnerd
Three Wheelin'

Eric: I'll be there (I'll be there Friday for the HOD event too). Look for my trailer, I'll try and save you space (assuming you Black Sheep will allow yourselves to be seen associating with me). I think I have some Black Sheep wine in the Vinotheque that I'll bring along...
I'll be there Friday as well for the HOD event. See yah there!
Old 09-15-2008, 11:55 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,799 Likes on 2,375 Posts

John: Rich will be there helping me with car setup issues. You should be able to pick his brain. This will be my last event before a 4 hour enduro at Infineon in October (he will be my co-driver) and we want to ensure all is ready for it.
enduro.... you sick man. i am very envious.

the 997's are too loud and wont pass sound at LS. there are some mod matt lawrence did that you can make it loud and no so loud so LS sound ****'s wouldn't be an issue.

Quick Reply: First DE Event Thunderhill 9/21