Sponsored by:

First DE Event Thunderhill 9/21

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2008, 05:27 PM
mossjn
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First DE Event Thunderhill 9/21

I am a complete newb and participating in my first DE event this coming weekend at Thunderhill, near Willows, CA.

I have only done one Autocross and Ground School. Anyone here attending that is in a similar boat? Wouldn't mind hooking up to compare lack of notes.

I searched tire pressures and saw a million opinions. However, with stock tires and first DE, any specific recomendations for cold and hot pressures?

Any other suggestions/recommendations for a first timer with a stock 997s?
Old 09-14-2008, 05:48 PM
ausgeflippt951
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No recommendations here, except you'll be fine. The DE atmosphere is entirely chill -- don't worry about it. Feel free to chat with as many people as you can once you get there, and be sure to sign up for an instructor.

As an aside, let me know what you think of Thunderhill. Myself and some friends will be competing in the 24 Hours of LeMons up there with our '86 MR-2 in December.
Old 09-14-2008, 06:47 PM
earlyapex
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 62 Likes on 32 Posts

Don't get lost or even pay much attention to tire pressures, alignments, etc. Do have your car tech'd by an experience shop. Do read a track description and watch as many movie clips that you can on TH. Do have fun. Arrive early. Make a check list.

Come by my trailer. My yellow 911 will be surrounded by a pride of GT3's.
Old 09-14-2008, 07:05 PM
Tom W
Addict
Rennlist Member

As Eric says, don't worry too much about pressures and stuff. A pound or two isn't going to make a big difference in the first session. Concentrate on learning the track and the line your instructor is trying to teach you. Once you get back from a session, check your hot pressures and if too high, bleed them down a bit. If you have Hank Watts book, re-read it before you come.

I'll be there too., stop by and say hello. My car isn't as brightly painted as Eric's, but it's hard to miss.

If you get to Willows before 9 pm Friday night, go t Casa Ramos to meet the folk you'll be seeing the next day (arriving early, getting registered and tech done Friday will help alleviate the Saturday morning rush and is a good start if you can manage it).
Old 09-14-2008, 09:08 PM
earlyapex
Addict
Rennlist Member

First round on Tom!

First person in the paddock saves a spot!
Old 09-14-2008, 09:25 PM
IcemanG17
Race Director

Received 75 Likes on 58 Posts

For your 1st DE don't worry too much about pressures. tire temps, lap times etc.....just make sure your oil and coolant are topped up and listen to your instructor and learn the lines....I just set my pressure at stock and had fun...checked the oil-water after every session and enjoyed myself....PCA puts on a great DE, you will learn ALOT and have tons of fun....I was there last week with my M3 (1st time for that car)....

Some other advice I found useful my 1st time out......generally speaking (for us novices) cars only do one thing well at a time (of the big three) turning, braking & accelerating....as long as you remember that you will be fine.....another bit of advice I found useful was don't be afraid to USE your brakes....essentially brakes should be like a light switch....all or nothing.....using less pedal pressure to take longer to stop is NOT easier on your brakes, it just makes them hotter....short and powerful is the way to go......

Granted I still am a novice driver..... but it helped me...hopefully it will help you...I might stop by on Sunday to see a friend in an M3....if I do I'll look for you
Old 09-14-2008, 09:26 PM
IcemanG17
Race Director

Received 75 Likes on 58 Posts

Also guys the new canopy by the main building is UP.....so there should be plenty of shade
Old 09-14-2008, 09:49 PM
JerryW
Addict
Rennlist Member

Another here saying stop by - I'll be running the car in my avatar. I'll try to answer any questions you have.
For a first DE, just relax and enjoy it -- its just the start of the addiction.
Old 09-14-2008, 10:56 PM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 2,200 Likes on 601 Posts

one requirement- after doing it- update us here on RL and let us know how it went! and to you california dudes- I look forward to getting out for track days and DEs in a few weeks in my RS. having it shipped this week and will be up and down I-5 all fall/winter.
Old 09-14-2008, 10:58 PM
Carnerd
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by earlyapex
Don't get lost or even pay much attention to tire pressures, alignments, etc. Do have your car tech'd by an experience shop. Do read a track description and watch as many movie clips that you can on TH. Do have fun. Arrive early. Make a check list.

Come by my trailer. My yellow 911 will be surrounded by a pride of GT3's.

+1 on stopping by with questions. I too will be running the car in my avatar and just did my first event a couple DE's ago. You'll love TH!

Originally Posted by earlyapex
First round on Tom!

First person in the paddock saves a spot!
I'll be there Friday for the HOD event and will try and get a spot for you guys.
Old 09-14-2008, 10:59 PM
Carnerd
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by IcemanG17
Also guys the new canopy by the main building is UP.....so there should be plenty of shade
This is so awesome!!!
Old 09-14-2008, 11:09 PM
sundog
Race Director

Received 197 Likes on 105 Posts

I've done my first 2 de's with the PCA-GGR at Thunderhill. It's a great bunch of people. Everybody is very helpful and knowledgeable.

I had no idea what was going on when I first showed up, but within 15 minutes there were people sharing ideas and experiences. I can't make it that weekend, but have a great time!
Old 09-14-2008, 11:20 PM
mjb
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by IcemanG17
And shaving continues on the berms so that should be a bit better. Ran it CW last week in our X19 Lemons car so I didn't get a real good look at all the berms but it appears to be shaping up.

Mossjn, can't add much to the great advice from Tom , earlyapex, et al. GGR has a fine group of instructors so you will be in good hands... and I guarantee you will have a blast
Old 09-14-2008, 11:52 PM
earlyapex
Addict
Rennlist Member

I'm looking forward to the new track. This will be my first time on the repaved track. Glad the berms have been shaved. I think we will see more class records.
Old 09-15-2008, 12:14 AM
lawjdc
Three Wheelin'

Jon: Be sure and show up early so you can get a ride around the track - just to see where you are going. THill has two completely blind corners that you would have to stop your car and get out to see where the road goes. No kidding! But you will have a great time and the GGR instructors are really helpful.

I'll be there also - car #62 - now with CCW black wheels. Stop by and say hi.

-Doug

Quick Reply: First DE Event Thunderhill 9/21