Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Boxster RS 60 Spyder

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2008, 08:43 PM
CWay27
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm with everybody on this one and think it is a little high but on the other hand, I wouldn't go for the other car you posted with over 70k miles. I don't think you have to go from one extreme to the other but just in the middle like an 02 or 03 for mid 20s would be my choice.
Old 09-03-2008, 09:06 PM
Giacomo
Pro

The '00 S for $17.9K would be my choice if it looked to be in good condition and had the option package you wanted. The RS60 will depreciate by that amount in three years or less and although I have never driven one, I doubt it is that much of a different driving experience. For the price of the 986S you can enjoy it for a few years, ax and de it and when the bug hits hard, build it into a race car.
Old 09-03-2008, 09:46 PM
chrisc
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Hey Mark - glad to see your still in the hobby! One thing to consider is, if you are competitive by nature and you want to A-X,it is likely you will be classed with the Cayman S. You give up about 2 seconds b-4 you finish registering. If that doesn't bother you a Boxster S is a nice cruiser. My stock '06 S handles like a Buick when compared to my 924 S. The Boxster set me back about 64/K, the 924 S is at 12/K, still street legal and track ready (with A/C) and a lot more storeage room. If the bride wouldn't kill me I would make you a great deal on an '06 S with 5/K on the ODO.

Chris
Old 09-03-2008, 09:51 PM
Mark Dreyer
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 659 Likes on 354 Posts

Chris,

Wow that 924S must be something. I thought the Boxster handled nicely the few times I've driven/ridden in them. PM me the details on your 06.
Old 09-03-2008, 10:25 PM
DrJupeman
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by chrisc
My stock '06 S handles like a Buick when compared to my 924 S.s
Old 09-05-2008, 12:16 AM
chrisc
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Ok, maybe the Buick comment was a little harsh, maybe more like a Chevy Impala. Wifey nixed me selling the box. Said she still likes it even if I don't but it spends most of it's life in the garage. Nice car for a Sunday cruise in the North Georgia Mountains! A Cayman S would be my choice since we hardly put the top down anyway (too hot summer/ too cold fall)......heck of a better stock DE & AX'r.
Old 09-05-2008, 12:50 AM
jrgordonsenior
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark Dreyer
I'm thinking of an older low cost Boxster as an alternative to the RS 60. I'm going to check this one out tomorrow morning: http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.jsp?car_id=248806089
Exactly what I did 2 months ago for the summer season and I couldn't be happpier. I didn't realize how much I missed a convertible Porsche for the warm summer nights here in So Cal. I bought an 02' S with 32k miles from my neighbor for $20k. Between my GF and I it gets driven daily and always to dinner with the top down. I drove my poor, neglected 997S around town today and realize what a superior car it is, but my $20 Boxster S is the hit of the summer....
Old 09-05-2008, 12:52 AM
DanR
Drifting

Originally Posted by DrJupeman
Never titled but nearly 5k miles, yowsa.
I would ask the question whether any of the miles have been 'hard' demo miles?
Old 09-05-2008, 10:42 AM
Bartmack
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

The amazing exhaust sound, the extra hp and engine remap and the lowered sport suspension give this car a spectacular feel that is beyond the typical Boxster S... I've had mine for about 2 months now, and with a roadtrip to US129 have put about 3500 miles on it so far.

IMO, somehow the Germans have stolen some Italian passion and mingled it into the soul of this car...lol
Old 09-05-2008, 12:47 PM
Mark Dreyer
Addict
Rennlist Member

Bartmack,

I see you are a new user with only 3 posts. Your post is certainly glowing and is somewhat in contrast with what some others have said about the RS being that much different from a normal Boxster S. My contact at the Ohio Porsche dealer said he had read my Rennlist thread. Hmmmm. I want to believe that yours is a heartfelt post from an Porsche enthusiast not a car salesman from a dealership in Ohio. I'm sure it's just coincidence. Thanks for weighing in.
Old 09-05-2008, 12:59 PM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark Dreyer
1. Does the potential future collectability of this car warrant the price premium over a standard Boxster S?...
No. This is another one of those Porsche's "special" models they do by giving it a nice name, minimal real modifications and a hefty price .
Old 09-05-2008, 06:53 PM
jrgordonsenior
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Get an older S, throw on some PSS9's and GT3 sway bars and you'll be amazed how well the car handles. If you need more than 2 degrees of camber install the GT3 lower control arms like we do in Spec Boxster. Get any decent aftermarket exhaust system and it will sound better than the RS60....

All that would be about $5-6k and you'd have a Boxster that would kick the RS60 all over the track....
Old 09-05-2008, 08:42 PM
kabel_Boxster
Racer

Mark,

There seems to be plenty of good Boxsters you can pick up inexpensively right now. Though I do not think any Boxster will be any more collectable than a Miata

Christian comments about "fun" autox I would say relates to his explanation as well as simply running at local events for fun competition and not trying to make a Boxster an SCCA National Autocross Championship winning car.

I seem to be the death of all your threads, I posted to your last two regarding autox. if you find a Boxster, come on out to the next PCA autocross Sunday, Sept 21st. Even if you don't find one soon, take a road-trip up to our event to see what it is all about.
Old 09-06-2008, 04:18 PM
Edwin
Rennlist Member

Don't buy any car for collector's value....we can't live long enough to see any return on that. But having said that I bought one of the RS60s.....and absolutely love it. Can you have fun for a lot less money? Yep. Depends on your priorities.

I currently have a 997 GT3 for the track and highway. The GT3 wasn't really that fun in town. The RS60 is awesome in town. The exhaust sound is great and the overall feel of the car is also great. It has a really forgiving ride on the crappy streets in the town I live in and still fun to push hard around corners. I also have a 1999 Boxster. There is no comparison with it and the RS60. The '99 Boxster is going to be turned into a race/track car.....a better use for it.

I suppose that you could get a Boxster S and change the exhaust and get close to the RS60. But it is so convenient to just push a button to change exhaust and suspension settings in the car. The RS60 is honestly my favorite car on a day to day basis. GT3 wins at the track....but I'm not at the track everyday....
Old 09-06-2008, 06:09 PM
Mark Dreyer
Addict
Rennlist Member

Here's the car I bought this morning. An 02 Boxster S with 65k miles. I picked it up for $22k out the door (inluding tax). It was a one owner car purchased from the same dealership. It had been maintained properly and recently had received new tires, clutch and top. I figure this was a solid buy and I love the color.
Attached Images      

Quick Reply: Boxster RS 60 Spyder