Boxster RS 60 Spyder

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2008, 04:41 PM
Mark Dreyer
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 662 Likes on 357 Posts
Default Boxster RS 60 Spyder

I'd like some advise. I've gotten the bug to buy a Boxster. I want a fun car for the street (I've always liked drop top sports cars) which can also be used for autocross (and who knows maybe DE's again in the future if I ever get my wife's blessing).

I've come across this little jewel priced at a sustantial discount over brand new: http://www.stoddardporscheaudi.com/u...eHistory=true#

It's never been titled. The owner (or manager) drove it for the past few months as their own personal fun car according to what they told me on the phone.

Questions:

1. Does the potential future collectability of this car warrant the price premium over a standard Boxster S?

2. Is anyone familiar enough with the suspension particulars of this car in order to advise whether there would be any particular advantage over a normal Boxster or Boxster S in an autocross setting?

They offered to get it certified for me if I buy it.

Thanks for any suggestions. I did post on the 987 forum but only received one response. I don't think there is much traffic over there.
Old 09-03-2008, 04:55 PM
George from MD
Drifting

Received 397 Likes on 229 Posts

If you like it and think the price is fair I'd go for it. They are little jewels and IMO are very desirable (I must qualify this by saying I went for the 911 instead).

The car will never be worth any more due to it's "collectibility"- at least in our lifetimes- and there are no particular suspension advantages you couldn't order on other models.

It's basically a unique group of options that sell for less than they would if you ordered them seperately.

If they offered to certify I would probably take them up on it if the price is right. I think that gives you 100K powertrain (?) and I wouldn't bet that the rear main seal problems are fixed just because Porsche says so.
Old 09-03-2008, 05:10 PM
Bartmack
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

PASM is standard on the RS60.. which has an ultra-stiff 'track mode' basically. The special exhaust and engine remap are not available on a 'normal' Boxster S or Boxster. The whole package of standard extras would cost near $75k if added ala carte, plus it has almost another $5k on top. (not that anybody would ever really spec an $80k Boxster S...) Shame it doesn't have the red roof though.

They've changed the wheels BTW... it should have 19" SportDesign rims.
Old 09-03-2008, 05:12 PM
DrJupeman
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Never titled but nearly 5k miles, yowsa.
Old 09-03-2008, 05:18 PM
VERBOTN
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mark
I can attest they are great cars BUT they have their limits and I have certainly pushed mine well beyond. If you like it and the deal is right for you then get it drive it and do FUN auto-xs not competitive. Miche and I used to take my little mule on weekend trips all over it is truly amazing the storage space and comfort. Plus pushing a button and having the top retrack is a very nice feature. Just remember it does not have the grunt of a "3".

When its time to get the track variant call me I have a white one that would serve well.
Old 09-03-2008, 05:36 PM
smlporsche
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

With that many miles already on it it would not be collectable.
They are great street cars and the sound from the remapped engine / exhaust system on the RS 60 is like no other Porsche let alone Boxster.
Given the softness of the market and mileage I think the price is a little high though. Even though the car has never been titled when you drive it off the lot it will be a used car so bid accordingly.
Old 09-03-2008, 05:46 PM
racer
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What does one of those (or that one) cost new? $60K? Seems high to me, especially since it has 5K miles. I've read recent internet gossip of 10-15% off MSRP for new Porsches on the lot. As for future collectibility we may run out of fossil fuels before that happens
Old 09-03-2008, 05:54 PM
paradisenb
Rennlist Member

Mark, I don't think any Boxster will ever hold a high resell value. Too many units solds. That is a very sharp looking car. Boxsters sure are fun to drive and reasonable to maintain. I miss mine but the 3 of us don't fit so another is not in the cards. Besides, I really want a 190 Mercedes.
I personally would opt for a used car and see if it is really to your liking. The value hit on a new one will be substantial if you find yourself disappointed. There are probably 20 available in your own backyard right now.

Good luck. You will have fun in a drop top.
Old 09-03-2008, 06:21 PM
Mark Dreyer
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by racer
What does one of those (or that one) cost new? $60K? Seems high to me, especially since it has 5K miles. I've read recent internet gossip of 10-15% off MSRP for new Porsches on the lot. As for future collectibility we may run out of fossil fuels before that happens
The car is $69k new. There is a brand spanking new one on the local dealer lot for that much.
Old 09-03-2008, 06:25 PM
Mark Dreyer
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Christian20
Mark
I can attest they are great cars BUT they have their limits and I have certainly pushed mine well beyond. If you like it and the deal is right for you then get it drive it and do FUN auto-xs not competitive. Miche and I used to take my little mule on weekend trips all over it is truly amazing the storage space and comfort. Plus pushing a button and having the top retrack is a very nice feature. Just remember it does not have the grunt of a "3".

When its time to get the track variant call me I have a white one that would serve well.

Christian,

If I was looking for strictly a track car I'd be all over yours in a heartbeat. I know nothing will replace the 6-GT3.....sigh. However, I think for around town fun motoring a Boxster is hard to beat....especially in the cloverleafs!

I wasn't aware of any distinction in types of auto-xs events. I assume when you say "fun" vs "competetive" you mean the event is held in the same type location (big parking lot) with the only distinction being the presence or absence of timing the runs?
Old 09-03-2008, 06:29 PM
Mark Dreyer
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by smlporsche
With that many miles already on it it would not be collectable.
They are great street cars and the sound from the remapped engine / exhaust system on the RS 60 is like no other Porsche let alone Boxster.
I guess I didn't mean collectable in terms of rare with low miles. I just meant it might hold it's value better than a normal Boxster S.....kind of like how the Gt-3 holds value better than it's 996 and 997 siblings. I would never have a Porsche as a non-driven concours car....I drive my cars!

You have me intrigued about the sound of the RS 60 engine. One of the things I loved the most about my 6-GT3 was the engine sound near redline. If this RS 60 has a similar sound, it just might be the car for me.
Old 09-03-2008, 06:35 PM
Mark Dreyer
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by paradisenb
I personally would opt for a used car and see if it is really to your liking. The value hit on a new one will be substantial if you find yourself disappointed. There are probably 20 available in your own backyard right now.

Good luck. You will have fun in a drop top.

I'm thinking of an older low cost Boxster as an alternative to the RS 60. I'm going to check this one out tomorrow morning: http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.jsp?car_id=248806089
Old 09-03-2008, 06:52 PM
VERBOTN
Three Wheelin'

Mark
more of an attitude, I think most are timed and might have a points "race" but in a stock class all you can do is have fun. Plus think of all the $$$$$$$$ you are saving on pads, tyres, and fuel. Not to mention the time to load/unload the rig.

It is a great car to tool around town, enjoy but I would be aggressive on the $$$ if it is one you like. OK now back to loading my rig for Sebring.....

Cheers.
Old 09-03-2008, 07:12 PM
Bull
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I wouldn't pay any premium for the "RS 60" commemorative addition of the car. Take a look at the '04 Anniversary editions of the 911 for an idea of what a disappearing premium is like.

If the car has never been owned by anyone than the factory and the dealer, then it has never been titled. It would be sold on an MSO (Manf's Statement of Origin), and you will be the first owner with a title from the State. But so what?????

I think you are on the right track to a great car. There are many used, low mileage Box S cars out there, and their depreciation has been like a free fall.
Old 09-03-2008, 07:39 PM
Mark Dreyer
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Christian20
OK now back to loading my rig for Sebring.....Cheers.
Hey man, have fun. I'm gonna miss that place.....I'll make it back some day if only to watch you run a 2:25 in your mini-GT3.

Quick Reply: Boxster RS 60 Spyder