Sponsored by:

Let's get some Road America reports...someone report in

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2008, 12:58 PM
FredC
Drifting

Received 68 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by Gary R.
Bet he wishes he did that a month or so ago! If he can't fix it nobody can... good luck today Fred!
They fixed the issue weeks ago and even tested the car on the highway. Last weekend the issue resurfaced in a slightly different form and got mostly fixed once we replaced a dead alternator. The residual problem is that ignition or fuel delivery cuts out when I travel over pronounced rumble strips and it takes about 1 minute of no rumble strips driving for the issue to go away...

Can't wait for Schattenbaum! How pronounced are the rumble strips out there anyway?
Old 09-02-2008, 01:37 PM
Sean F
NASA Racer
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

that is bizarre....I'll be looking for rumble strips to force you into
Old 09-02-2008, 01:55 PM
darrendeguire
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What a great time this past weekend!! It was my rookie weekend and i don't think we could have asked for better weather. The racing was great and I met lots of nice rennlisters! What's next? I'm officially hooked!
Old 09-02-2008, 02:00 PM
944TURBOS
Racer

Originally Posted by darrendeguire
What a great time this past weekend!! It was my rookie weekend and i don't think we could have asked for better weather. The racing was great and I met lots of nice rennlisters! What's next? I'm officially hooked!
Darren it was nice meeting you this weekend! you were kicking butt out there. Very nice driving. Wish I could have ran with you guys, maybe next year!
Old 09-02-2008, 02:06 PM
Sean F
NASA Racer
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

What's next? I'm officially hooked!
spending money, lots of money
Old 09-02-2008, 02:27 PM
Chulo
Racer

Darren - came by a few times on my scooter looking for you, but missed you. You looked great out there.

I had a mechanical, so was not able to race at all. Next year...
Old 09-02-2008, 02:44 PM
Chulo
Racer

Originally Posted by FredC
OK, a quick update.

Charlie Boyer beat his personal best time and dipped in the 2:28s! Congrats Charlie. He won his class in the sprint.

As for the Green group, it was a manic manic race. Crossman won E class and beat all but 3 F class cars. To put this in perspective, our run group was composed of roughly 20 F cars, 25 E cars, 8 Ds, and the rest. He cleaned up! Between his performance at the glen and today, he is quickly becoming the national ruler in E!!! Dick Strahota ran a real solid race as well. Slawek Ruszel (E) had brake issues, which made his slower than normal.

Wayne-O blew his motor after he lost all of his engine oil between the kink and the pits. Corner workers could have been more directive and force him to immobilize his car. The track was shut for 30 minutes for the clean-up.

I will post more tomorrow when i get back home!
Fred - nice meeting you. Sorry about the difficulties with the car. Dan seemed to have his hands full with your car and Wayne's.

Wayne O - The victim of the kink, and some reckless driving in front of him. Dan did an amazing job to get the car back in one piece, only to find out the engine was cooked. Next year, Wayne. The corner workers should have flown the red flag, and shut you down. RA's guys are the best in the business, but they messed that one up.

Charlie - nice driving. It was fun watching a 964 cup keep some 996 cups at bay, as well as some GT4 cars. Impressive!

Doug - great driving as usual. I hope everything got sorted out after the Enduro start incident.
Old 09-02-2008, 03:48 PM
darrendeguire
Rennlist Member

Chulo, sorry we missed hooking up.
MO - good to meet you too. Hope we can all get out there together next time.

Mike O. had mechanical issues too and the other rookie in the yellow GT3 had a problem in the sprint qualify I think and then he was gone. I was the only J car left.

I have to say it was a blast to be on pole for the enduro. It was a real thrill. I don't think I would have been there if MO and Mike had not had mechanical issues, but i did do my fast lap of the weekend during the enduro qualify at 2.31.5. Still plenty of room for improvement by me though, sub .30's should be very doable.
Old 09-02-2008, 04:15 PM
joey bagadonuts
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Food Angel
Thanks to Oscar, Joey, and Ben (x 2!!)
You're welcome, Food Angel! Thanks for the cookies!

My weekend went great. I swapped in my replacement motor and the thing ran perfectly (although, it still didn't make me any faster! ).

Unfortunately, there was a bit of carnage Sunday and Monday. No one got hurt but, IIRC, John Crosby spent the night in the hospital for observation. He was attempting to finish a very high-speed pass into T1 and touched the car behind him as he slotted in. He found some wall, got air and ended up in the kitty litter.

On the Purple Enduro, Doug Crossman was nudged during the start and taken out with another car. I was a few rows back and saw the dust fly as cars started to zigzag. Pretty hairy moment since we were all charging with a full head of steam. But everyone eased over, nicely, and got by unscathed.

I kind of felt sick about it, since I know Doug, and hoped no one was hurt as I continued on. By the time we came around, all the cars had been cleared. Doug was fine, by the way.

Sorry I couldn't give a more upbeat report but, obviously, this was a big part of the weekend, as well.
Old 09-02-2008, 04:16 PM
DrJupeman
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Hey, guys, thanks for the kind words. Thanks to Jerry Greene for sharing some of his old 964 Cup secrets to get me going on Sunday. His advice really amounted to me going back to basics and doing things like hitting apexes! Go figure! I'll post some video later...

Darren it was nice meeting you and walking the track on Sunday night. Great job as a rookie. Being on-pole in your first race is impressive! It was nice seeing everyone else out there! I love that track and event.

Huge Porsche-spirit props to Ben Gabis (Chulo) who let Dan Curry use his windshield(!) after Dan lost his in the kink (doh!). That's the camaraderie that this sport is all about.

Last edited by DrJupeman; 09-02-2008 at 04:56 PM.
Old 09-02-2008, 04:46 PM
SoClose
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Glad John Crosby is OK, although his car looked like it is gone.
I didn't see Chris Cervelli's car- how bad was is damaged?
Old 09-02-2008, 06:22 PM
Steward B.
Rennlist Member

"Wayne O - The victim of the kink, and some reckless driving in front of him. Dan did an amazing job to get the car back in one piece, only to find out the engine was cooked. Next year, Wayne. The corner workers should have flown the red flag, and shut you down. RA's guys are the best in the business, but they messed that one up. "

Chulo, the corner workers cannot show a single car a Red flag. By definition a Red flag is a red all, which means everyone has to stop, immediately.

It is rather the driver's responsibility to get off line, if the driver knows that there is something wrong with his car. Best bet is to not only get off line but stop the frickin' car before it lays down more oil. The car is damaged, you aren't going to be able to limp it in.

Frankly, we are going to start looking at taking more aggressive actions with drivers who think they can drive back with damaged cars and thus take time away from other participants when they oil the track. It is not fair to other drivers and more importantly, puts them at risk.
Old 09-02-2008, 06:25 PM
Brian P
Rennlist Member

Received 29 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Steward B.
"Wayne O - The victim of the kink, and some reckless driving in front of him. Dan did an amazing job to get the car back in one piece, only to find out the engine was cooked. Next year, Wayne. The corner workers should have flown the red flag, and shut you down. RA's guys are the best in the business, but they messed that one up. "

Chulo, the corner workers cannot show a single car a Red flag. By definition a Red flag is a red all, which means everyone has to stop, immediately.

It is rather the driver's responsibility to get off line, if the driver knows that there is something wrong with his car. Best bet is to not only get off line but stop the frickin' car before it lays down more oil. The car is damaged, you aren't going to be able to limp it in.

Frankly, we are going to start looking at taking more aggressive actions with drivers who think they can drive back with damaged cars and thus take time away from other participants when they oil the track. It is not fair to other drivers and more importantly, puts them at risk.
Agreed. The question is whether or not Wayne got the meatball flag. I'm figuring that if he knew he was dropping oil, he would have immediately got off line if not parked the car...
Old 09-02-2008, 06:29 PM
Chulo
Racer

Originally Posted by Steward B.

Fair enough. I'm not sure he knew he was leaking oil. If they saw it, maybe a full course red, or the meatball flag??
Old 09-02-2008, 07:38 PM
joey bagadonuts
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SoClose
I didn't see Chris Cervelli's car- how bad was it damaged?
Oh, jeez, another great driver who caught a bad break. I didn't realize it was his car when I saw it from a distance but it appeared to have sustained a major rear impact. It was also on a flat bed which usually means it wasn't driveable.

Quick Reply: Let's get some Road America reports...someone report in