Old 08-24-2008, 01:24 PM
APKhaos
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Skip,
This is the adaptor I'm using:
Rokinon Digital .45x Magnetic Wide Angle Lens

Bobby,
Its a plain old IO Port mount. The Aiptek is not the studiest of cameras, a has a very high center of gravity package. Pogue designers, obviously. I plan to make a simple support frame to stiffen the package and reduce vibration.

All,
Stand by for the mega hack. I've got the thing opened up, and have a plan for a remote Record button and Record On LED. After a few days on track with this camera, its clear that the Remote is very marginal. I want positive confirmation that the thing is recording!
Old 08-24-2008, 02:07 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 272 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by APKhaos
Skip,
This is the adaptor I'm using:
Rokinon Digital .45x Magnetic Wide Angle Lens

Bobby,
Its a plain old IO Port mount. The Aiptek is not the studiest of cameras, a has a very high center of gravity package. Pogue designers, obviously. I plan to make a simple support frame to stiffen the package and reduce vibration.

All,
Stand by for the mega hack. I've got the thing opened up, and have a plan for a remote Record button and Record On LED. After a few days on track with this camera, its clear that the Remote is very marginal. I want positive confirmation that the thing is recording!
Tony - I use the IOPort also, and what I found was that the camera was bottoming out and didn't sit on the mount as well as it could. While at Summit I hacked up a piece of rubber from Sean's floor jack (about 3/32" thick) and placed it between the camera and the mount. It seemed to take away most of the vibration that Summit's track provided. As for the camera being in record mode, can't you clearly see the "STOP" in the LCD panel (in your mirror)? If it says STOP, it's recording...
Old 08-24-2008, 07:34 PM
Palting
Nordschleife Master

Received 238 Likes on 153 Posts

Looking for one for home and in-car use. Had a Sony DVD cam, but it would shut down if there was too much vibration.

Anyone have experience with those high-def cams that write directly to their own hard drive rather than use removable media?
Old 08-24-2008, 09:22 PM
Bull
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Palting
Looking for one for home and in-car use. Had a Sony DVD cam, but it would shut down if there was too much vibration.

Anyone have experience with those high-def cams that write directly to their own hard drive rather than use removable media?
My hard drive camera can not get out of the garages without shutting down to protect the hard drive from vibration. To get it to work, I have to record to SD cards.
Old 08-24-2008, 09:57 PM
Qwickrick
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Now guys, you have to agree with one choice for me.....

Rick
Old 08-24-2008, 10:26 PM
BobbyC
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Gary R.
Tony - I use the IOPort also, and what I found was that the camera was bottoming out and didn't sit on the mount as well as it could. While at Summit I hacked up a piece of rubber from Sean's floor jack (about 3/32" thick) and placed it between the camera and the mount. It seemed to take away most of the vibration that Summit's track provided. As for the camera being in record mode, can't you clearly see the "STOP" in the LCD panel (in your mirror)? If it says STOP, it's recording...
Gary, I have the Aiptek HD camera, and I/O port camera mount and now a wide angle lens on the way. Could you be kind enough to post a pic/instructions (for guys like me who are seriously challenged) on the "piece of rubber" cutout and it's placement on the I/O mount...so that I can get my Aiptek securely mounted. thanks a ton...
Old 08-24-2008, 10:32 PM
BobbyC
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Qwickrick
Now guys, you have to agree with one choice for me.....

Rick
Rick - if you're like me (video/software semi-literate ) then Aiptek is the way to go. It's cheap and effective. I also have a Panasonic HD (SD - 5) which records great HD video on SD cards but...unlike Charlie and Tony...I don't have the skills or software to convert/edit those files into easily viewable clips. The hard drive video cameras are a no no. Chasecam integrates well with Traqmate but video quality is poor.

Did I confuse you more? Go with Aiptek for now. Hopefully, there will be easier HD solutions soon.

Cheers!
Old 08-24-2008, 11:07 PM
Qwickrick
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Bobby
thanks for your help/that might be my choice.
Old 08-26-2008, 11:36 AM
Plavan
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

FYI- Stay away from the Panasonic HDC-SD9. I tried it in my race car after I tried the Canon Hf100. They both were horrible. CMOS made it unwatchable and also gives you a headache. I returned them both and went back to my cheap Digital 8 tape.
I'm gonna try the Aiptek.
Old 08-26-2008, 11:48 AM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by BobbyC
Gary, I have the Aiptek HD camera, and I/O port camera mount and now a wide angle lens on the way. Could you be kind enough to post a pic/instructions (for guys like me who are seriously challenged) on the "piece of rubber" cutout and it's placement on the I/O mount...so that I can get my Aiptek securely mounted. thanks a ton...
Bobby -

You simply cut a piece of rubber mat (approx 1"x3") and place it on the IOPort mount under where the camera contacts the mount. Mark the hole where the bolt will pass through and cut a hole out for it. You will quickly find out if the rubber is too thick (I think 3/32" is max, 1/8" will work, but I didn't mic it) as the camera won't engage the mount stud threads. Once it does mount ok you can mark off the edge of the camera (with the LCD lid open) and trim the rubber away on that side to allow the LCD panel to fully close while it's mounted (should you want to).. I came up with this to help at Summit as the bumps were so bad my magnet/taped on Wide angle lens came flying off. It can't hurt in general use to subject this plastic camera to less shock and vibration too..
Old 08-26-2008, 01:21 PM
ApexPerformance
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 34 Likes on 18 Posts

IO Port is definitely the mount to use.

We also sell an inexpensive mini camera from GoPro and it comes with its own mount. Records 56 Minutes of video to a 2GB SD card. Picture is good, sound is fair. Fairly inexpensive to get you by for now while you decide on a final setup.

http://www.apexperformance.net/CartGenie/prod-1562.htm

Toll free: 866-505-2739
Direct: 843-299-0997
EM: info@apexperformance.net
www.apexperformance.net

Save 10% on your next order over $75 on most items- enter Promocode Rennlist on your next order or mention Rennlist during your phone order.

Visit us on Facebook
Old 08-26-2008, 02:12 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Rick - You can also buy the lesser Aiptek 720 HD, which is plenty, on Amazon for $147.11 in a package that includes an 8GB card and free shipping.
Old 08-26-2008, 03:12 PM
DrJupeman
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

The Pano HDC-SD9 looks very nice, and is one of the few non-CMOS sensor HD cameras as Charlie says. The only downside I can see is that there is no external audio capability - no mic input and no hot shoe mic adaptor. The built-in mic is all there is. Its entirely possible that the built-in mic is more than adequate, of course.

Charlie, it would be interesting to hear your thoughts on working with the AVCHD format. What apps are you using to trim/edit the raw AVCHD files, and how it that aspect working out?

FWIW, the video link I posted above is now open for public viewing.
Sorry, guys, I see a few questions to me but haven't come back to this thread in a few days...

Tony, agreed no mic port on the camera, but I haven't longed for one yet. As for AVCHD, it is a bit of a pain in the ***. I use iMovie on my MacBook Pro (2.16 Ghz Core 2 Duo, 2GB of RAM) to "ingest" the video while at the track. It can take more than realtime to import the video, but once it is in the machine I can edit very quickly. I use an external card reader to ingest the video from one card while I use another card in the camera for the next run. I carry around an external hard drive because I can easily run >100GB of video over the course of a weekend. For the most part there isn't much reason to save all that video, of course, but I do in case there are cool passes, etc., and stuff that I'd want to put into a compilation. But I digress... My preference is to input the AVCHD into Final Cut Pro on my Mac Pro 8-core machine (12GB RAM) as it is saved on the Mac Pro in a higher quality intermediate codec than on iMovie uses (Final Cut Pro will not work with AVCHD on a non-Xeon processor such as in my MacBook Pro, if that gives you a sense of AVCHD's processing needs).

So, to summarize a bit:

I use iMovie at the track to ingest most video. I use iMovie to make quick videos.

I use Final Cut Pro at home to make more complex videos when I want to use motion effects, etc.

The only pain is the downloading of the video because it takes a lot of time. Once put into an intermediate codec, editing is quick and painless.
Old 08-26-2008, 04:53 PM
RJay
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Plavan
FYI- Stay away from the Panasonic HDC-SD9. I tried it in my race car after I tried the Canon Hf100. They both were horrible. CMOS made it unwatchable and also gives you a headache. I returned them both and went back to my cheap Digital 8 tape.
I'm gonna try the Aiptek.
Hmmm... interesting as the SD9 is not CMOS, rather a 3CCD. BTW, the AIPTEK A-HD+ is CMOS-based.

Can you describe what aspects were annoying you, particularly with the SD9? The HF100's rolling shutter problems are well documented, but I'd be curious to hear what you found so objectionable.
Old 05-20-2009, 02:10 PM
RickBetterley
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 37 Likes on 18 Posts

Hi Tony
Have you completed the megahack? I feel the urge to do unnatural things with my Aiptek (hey, you brought it up).

Quick Reply: Video camera suggestions