Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Solo for 8-hr race?

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2008, 03:07 PM
flashgordon
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I saw some guy drive a 6 hr firehawk race solo at sebring in the '80s and he said he felt like death the last 2 hrs of the race. He was stuck because he had no co-driver for relieve, but he did finish well in the standings. I don't think he ever got out of the car for the entire race. So it is doable but not sure it's much fun.
Old 08-21-2008, 03:24 PM
Jim Child
Three Wheelin'

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Here are the relevant rules from NASA's Endurance Racing Regulations:

2.4. Races shorter than six hours
Teams must have a minimum of two drivers. One driver may drive the entire race, but must enter as both drivers and pay the minimum entry fee of a two-driver team. All drivers must be NASA members and registered for the event.

2.5. Races of six hours or longer
Teams must have a minimum of two drivers. All drivers must be NASA members and registered for the event.

Reading these two rules together I take it that at least two drivers must drive during a race of 6 hours or longer. At the very least you need to have a registered co-driver. I don't see anything about maximum or minimum stint lengths, so I guess you could have a co-driver run one lap and then switch back.
Old 08-21-2008, 03:31 PM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Lemming
...Nothing says that I have to stay in the car. When I did the 24hr offroad enduros, I rested when needed. I would plan to do the same, possibly having the pit crew watch lap times and pull me in if warranted...
If you've done that I have no doubt you could do this. Driving dirt bike is much harder physically (mentally I'd rank them same) than driving a race car like yours.
I used to race in Gotland Grand National (World's biggest enduro bike race) and that lasted anythign between 3.15 - 3.50 hrs and you're wrecked after that. For 24 hr bike race you of course pace yourself slower than that but still that sounds grazy!
Old 08-21-2008, 03:31 PM
Jarez Mifkin
Three Wheelin'

Tim, 8 hours by yourself? at Road Atlanta? are you friggin crazy? I'll co-drive it with you if I don't have any schedule conflictions(I'll know in 2 weeks if I do or not). Don't drive it by yourself!
Old 08-21-2008, 03:52 PM
MTosi
User

My dad did six hour stints at the IMSA Firehawk 24 hours of the Glen, and over 12 hours total of the races, in both the Paul Rossi Eagle Talons, and the Kelly Moss 944S2's, winning the class in the Talons, and overall in the 944 S2's (1990/1991).
Old 08-21-2008, 04:07 PM
dblapex
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think it is a great idea, There is a mountain bike race every year that is a 24 hour solo race. As far as not wanting to share the track with some one doing this, I would rather share the track with a skilled driver that is crazy than an unskilled driver that is sane. I know pedronole has done like 11-12 hours of a 24 hour (not in one sitting) so if you know you can do, and it is not about winning, it is about finnishing. I understand and I am pulling for you!

Brian
not sure if i fit in the Skilled/insane or unskilled/sane category. I am sure brokeass will chime in.
Old 08-21-2008, 04:12 PM
Lemming
Nordschleife Master

Received 86 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by dblapex
I think it is a great idea, There is a mountain bike race every year that is a 24 hour solo race.
Most likely won by Mike Philips, who also races the 24-hr motorcycle races that I did 5 or so years ago (he is still doing them, I gave them up after breaking my leg in 7 places racing motocross). He was beating everyone, even the pro teams, as far as 7 or 8 hrs into the race. Iron Mike is the man
Old 08-21-2008, 04:21 PM
Eric_k
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

While I can see the personal challenge aspect, it doesn't sound like a lot of fun and definitely not a competitve advantage. Your car will do really well in an enduro, why compromise it? Find one or two other guys and make it a team effort. Sharing the experience is part of the fun. You might even learn a few things from your co-driver(s). The sharing of costs makes it easier too. It is always a strange experience when you first see your car zipping around without you.
Old 08-21-2008, 05:38 PM
Rassel
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Lemming
I am considering running the NASA 8-hr enduro at Road Atlanta (Dec.) solo.
No personal offense, I can accept someone to playing with the thought. But doing this in reality is pure stupid, in many ways. And there is a reason why it's forbidden in serious races.
Old 08-21-2008, 06:02 PM
gums
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I've done 12 hour (Summit Point) and 13 hour (VIR) enduros, in Spec Miata, always with two other drivers. It's so much more fun that way, and more than enough seat time. Those cars are very easy to drive for long periods, but teamwork is what it's about. Don't you have any friends, Lem? Sounds like you do to me.....
Old 08-21-2008, 06:08 PM
Lemming
Nordschleife Master

Received 86 Likes on 72 Posts

Lot's of friends who are more than willing to drive my car in addition to people on this board who have volunteered.

I'm interested in running solo for the same reason I ran the 24hr offroad races in the ironman class, it's a challenge. Everyone thought I was nuts for doing those solo as well, yet it was fantastic.

I knew that most of you would think that I'm NUTS
Old 08-21-2008, 06:35 PM
juddtaylor
Instructor

Originally Posted by MTosi
IIRC Some dude ran like 23 of 24 hours of Lemans (alone) was leading the race (by 4 laps), then missed a shift causing engine failure with less than an hour left

Edit: Yes this did happen, Lemans 1952, Pierre Levegh, Talbot-Lago GS Spyder
IIARC, he tried it again the next year, then then wrecked and killed a bunch of people (at least himself and another driver, and dozens in the audience)... which lead to the 4 hour max rule in that series.

I would be shocked if you were allowed more than 4 hours in the car by any rule group that has their **** together, safety-wise.

As cool as it would be, the risk you'll be presenting to everyone else out there is unacceptable, if you ask me.

-Judd

Edit: So I didn't remember exactly correctly, but the gist is the same. Here is the how it really went down:

1955_Le_Mans_disaster

Basically, if ithe worst disaster in motorsports history came from someone trying to find and push his limits in an enduro, don't do it again.

Last edited by juddtaylor; 08-21-2008 at 07:08 PM.
Old 08-21-2008, 09:15 PM
Joe L
Instructor

Here is a link to the NASA Endurance Racing Regs -

http://www.nasaproracing.com/rules/enduro.pdf

Looks like there are some fuel regulations that limit the amount that can be put in the car during a single fuel stop. Also, looks like you will need a crew of at least 3 people to have effective pit stops...

Sounds like fun!
Old 08-22-2008, 12:25 AM
race911
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Bob from Bobcat Bicycles tried to run the 25 @ Thunderhill solo 2 or 3 years ago. (I'm sure those rules posted now are a result of his attempt.) Made it 15 or 16 hours in a Spec RX-7.
Old 08-22-2008, 04:05 AM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 2,058 Likes on 578 Posts

sheeeit I've done plenty of 900-1500 mile drives on the street when going cross country without getting out for anything other than pee, food and fuel but honestly I'm almost hallucinating I get so tired by the end of it. with physical safety and lives at risk- I cannot see myself ever trying that in a race car.

Quick Reply: Solo for 8-hr race?