Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ready for a roll bar (944) - Which one? Best one?

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2008 | 10:04 AM
Chads996
Nordschleife Master

Default Ready for a roll bar (944) - Which one? Best one?

Yep...I searched. Many suggested...no photos. Should I consider going with a custom one that can be expanded upon? My concern lies in the fact I am 6'6". I have Sparco Evo 2 Plus seats. I am confident that the seats will fit nicely as I have seen many Evo2's in 944's.

Budget is a concern. I'd like to do the best I can for the money. And, while I like John Hajny's bar, I want a more comprehensive one that helps the stiffness of the chassis. If you have installed a bar, please post some photos. I'd love to see some references.

Also...does anyone have the OG Racing bar / cage? I have heard some good things about this. A input regarding this bar would also be appreciated.

TIA,

C.
Old 08-11-2008 | 10:17 AM
jerome951
Drifting

Hey Chad,
When I researched several years ago I settled on Safety Devices. I bought the whole cage but you can buy just the roll bar. Fit is very good and in the roll bar there are no bolted-together sections except for the harness bar. My model (don't know if they've updated the design) didn't have to proper diagonal to meet NASA and SCCA specs. Adding an extra tube was no problem.
BTW, I'm 6'5". I installed custom seat mounts for my Evo2s and have clearance. Seat back is ~2" from the harness bar. I had to extend the steering wheel for proper reach.

Having said that, if I were to do it again I'd get a custom cage made. Difference in total cost (I paid a shop to install mine) wasn't that much.
Old 08-11-2008 | 10:26 AM
bgiere
Rennlist Member

If you are that tall I would definitely get a custom bar/cage done...You'll thank yourself later...and they really are not that much more than a bolt in.
Old 08-11-2008 | 10:38 AM
disasterman
Three Wheelin'

Are you considering upgrading at some point to a full cage? Your post mentions a roll bar. I have a power point presentation on the Safety Devices bolt in cage if you are interested (lots of photos). This would show you what's involved, including clearances.

If your going to create a full cage from a roll bar later, go custom install.
Old 08-11-2008 | 11:20 AM
Chads996
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by disasterman
Are you considering upgrading at some point to a full cage? Your post mentions a roll bar. I have a power point presentation on the Safety Devices bolt in cage if you are interested (lots of photos). This would show you what's involved, including clearances.

If your going to create a full cage from a roll bar later, go custom install.

Yes, the intent is to have a bar I can add to later. Considering a the custom option. I know it will be more, but likely more comfortable in the long haul.

C.
Old 08-11-2008 | 11:34 AM
Racerrob
Rennlist Member

Ditto on the custom. I had a Safety Devices cage that I removed after viewing the aftermath of a fatal accident last year. It is a good product but just not stout enough. I now have a custom cage with some big-*** door bars and some extra space up top for my head ( I am also tall). When you factor in the price of installation with the SD, there was no difference in price to go custom.
Old 08-11-2008 | 11:37 AM
Jay Gratton
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

I will be wathcing this thread close as I am getting ready to put a cage in my 924S. I am 6'4 and I have already been told to get a custom cage. The only question is who should do it in the Northeast?
Old 08-11-2008 | 11:40 AM
944CS
Drifting

Jay, contact Kalani Gohara. He does a lot of work on the 924/944/968 series cars and all his work is by word of mouth, he is very good. If you google his name you'll find pictures of his stuff.
Old 08-11-2008 | 11:55 AM
Brian A.
Rennlist Member

I'm interested in doing a custom cage this winter as well. I was planning on bring the car to http://davidloringracing.com/ to get a quote.

Jay, maybe we should see if we can do a group buy/
Old 08-11-2008 | 01:22 PM
bgiere
Rennlist Member

Here's a thread with cage pic's from my 944 build last year.

https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...t=ultimate+944
Old 08-11-2008 | 02:42 PM
smlporsche
Drifting

Chad-
I have the OG Racing cage in my S2 and while I think that for a prefabbed cage it is good there is alot of room in some places between the tubing and the car.

I'm only 5'9" and the cross over bar at the top of the A pillars in just an inch or so away from my helmet with the padding on it. Way to close in my opinion. Of course short legs and arms mean I can't put the seat back too far...

Email me if you want to see some pictures of it installed.
Old 08-11-2008 | 02:50 PM
Lemming
Nordschleife Master

Chad,

I started with just a roll bar then upgraded to full cage. Mark at Kirk Racing (north Birmingham) did mine as a custom build. He does excellent work.
Old 08-11-2008 | 03:09 PM
cooz
Pro

i'm almost 6'4" and have a custom cage by Kalani in my 968. i too would recommend custom and Kalani's work is great. (BTW....Kalani is northeast, phila area)

i have pics available if interested...PM with your personal email.

norm mandell
Old 08-11-2008 | 06:23 PM
M758
Race Director

Originally Posted by Chads996
Yep...I searched. Many suggested...no photos. Should I consider going with a custom one that can be expanded upon? My concern lies in the fact I am 6'6". I have Sparco Evo 2 Plus seats. I am confident that the seats will fit nicely as I have seen many Evo2's in 944's.

Budget is a concern. I'd like to do the best I can for the money. And, while I like John Hajny's bar, I want a more comprehensive one that helps the stiffness of the chassis. If you have installed a bar, please post some photos. I'd love to see some references.

Also...does anyone have the OG Racing bar / cage? I have heard some good things about this. A input regarding this bar would also be appreciated.

TIA,

C.
I would go custom.
I have a friend who is 6' 4" and is doing a custom roll cage since his autopower cage never fit him quite right. He is tall and has a long torso. As such the position of the top hop was just not very good. Going custom gives you the best fit.
Old 08-11-2008 | 06:38 PM
Chads996
Nordschleife Master

Thanks all. Sounds like custom is my choice. Ironically, I just got a call today from J3 Motorsports. They were working on a 968 bar a month or so ago. They called to have me come up and take a look at one they just completed.

C.

Quick Reply: Ready for a roll bar (944) - Which one? Best one?