Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2008, 11:10 PM
HIGHBOOST
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Good susp. book?

Hey guys,

Did a search here, but came up short.

Any good suspension tuning books you guys can recom.?

I found "Tune to Win" and some cirle track susp. setup books, but I'm not really looking into that.

Thanks
Old 08-10-2008, 02:45 AM
Cory M
Drifting

Received 74 Likes on 43 Posts

how to make your car handle by puhn

racecar vehicle dynamics by milliken

competition car suspension by staniforth
Old 08-10-2008, 02:54 AM
F350Lawman
Racer

I have Chasis Engineeering by Herb Adams...not Porsche specific, but it's real thorough from bump steer to tube chasis and everything in between! Great book, easy to explain but as advanced as you want to go. The title is deceptive, it sounds like it's for building a car from the frame up, but it is also a general suspension book, covering setups, spring rates, tires, etc.

Get it here, http://www.amazon.com/Chassis-Engine.../dp/1557880557
Old 08-11-2008, 11:13 AM
2BWise
Three Wheelin'

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Race Car Vehicle Dynamics

Funny story...was talking with Steve Fox Powertrain Technologies and he said, "I've got two books I keep on my nightstand, one is the bible, the other RCVD."
Old 08-11-2008, 06:32 PM
the90
Instructor

I only have one book on my nightstand, and it's not the Bible.......RCVD is THE book; an excellent reference.
I don't like Staniforth's book at all, his stuff on roll centers is bad.
One book I like very much is by Warren Rowley, I'm going through it (again) right now and there is no other book out there like it. Period. Find it at rowleyrace.com. No affiliation, blah, blah. It comes with several excel spread sheets and a copy of WinGeo on CD. I recommend it very highly.
Old 08-11-2008, 07:14 PM
Rassel
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Strongly suggest to get a class in the subject. To fully utilize a suspension you also need to know some datalogging and vehicle and tire dynamics.
Old 08-11-2008, 07:27 PM
Bill Lehman
Three Wheelin'

Received 230 Likes on 134 Posts

Interesting, the Herb Adams I knew was a Pontiac engineer who went to SCCA Drivers School at Waterford Hills, when I instructed, in the late 60's or early 70's with a GTO. This car was later very improved and Bob Tullius ran it with some sucess in Trans Am. Is this the author?
Old 08-11-2008, 09:37 PM
Tom W
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A related question to the original: What's a good book to help interpret suspension information? Having the shocks instrumented doesn't help if you don't know how to interpret the FFT or histograms from the MoTeC ...
Old 08-12-2008, 11:02 AM
Rassel
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Tom W
A related question to the original: What's a good book to help interpret suspension information? Having the shocks instrumented doesn't help if you don't know how to interpret the FFT or histograms from the MoTeC ...
Tom,
I think it's not only how to interpret the information but also how to setup the software to get a work-flow efficiently. Which could be more than a challenge, since a lot can be customized and excel-exported. Since you race, perhaps you can find a MoTeC engineer somewhere with time to show more specific readings. Or if you end up on this side of the pond, I'll gladly show you.

This was mentioned in another thread earlier: http://www.sae.org/technical/books/R-367 about datalogging. I have not read it myself so I don't know how much is suspension, but Geoffrey said it was good for MoTeC users.
Old 08-12-2008, 11:16 AM
2BWise
Three Wheelin'

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

There is some good stuff on optimumg.com, Claude Roulle's company site. The info is somewhat limited because he's looking to get you to one of his seminars, but there is enough to get you thinking.
Old 08-12-2008, 02:14 PM
HIGHBOOST
Pro

Originally Posted by Rassel
Strongly suggest to get a class in the subject. To fully utilize a suspension you also need to know some datalogging and vehicle and tire dynamics.
Thanks for all the responses everybody.......I understand what you're saying, I'm still an undergrad, I'm sure a chassis/susp. class is in my future if I go to Graduate school
Old 08-12-2008, 02:28 PM
Cory M
Drifting

Received 74 Likes on 43 Posts

where are you going to school? are you on the fsae team?
Old 08-12-2008, 05:43 PM
HIGHBOOST
Pro

Well, I attend Pacific University, it's a private D1 school in Stockton, CA. We are known for our BBteam........However, the school invests very little into other ventures such as FSAE. We have a car that is very outdated, now just used primarily as a promotional item haha, and some minibaja chassis laying around that were a complete joke when they were in competition back in 2001.

I'm just studying all the automotive related topics on my own and just waiting to graduate so I can FINALLY put all this into practice!
Old 08-12-2008, 05:56 PM
the90
Instructor

I'm convinced that FSAE is not what it used to be, but there just doesn't seem to be much engineering going on in it. Asking a team why they chose a particular value for a certain parameter, such as track or roll center height, and the answer can be 'well last year the car had value X, and the winning car had value Y, so we picked the mean value between them.' That's not engineering. Add to that the enormous time spent building the car.....It does demonstrate time management skills and the ability to work under pressure I suppose.
Old 08-12-2008, 06:00 PM
HIGHBOOST
Pro

Really? Man that's interesting, I always felt I have been at a disadvantage with my school not having an active SAE program. So I'm just doing as much as I can on my own. Some schools devote ALOT of money into being competitive in the SAE program!

Quick Reply: Good susp. book?