Corbeau seat experience

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2008, 11:09 AM
amr89c4
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Corbeau seat experience

Hello,

Does anyone have experience with Corbeau FX1 or FX1 Pro seats for Xcross or DE ? I have searched but come up blank. Maybe thats telling me something.

Thanks
Lynn
Old 08-09-2008, 11:44 AM
tyro
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have an FX1 in the passenger side of my car.

Installation was easy, bolted it to the floor. Most of the holes in the side mount brackets lined up with where the stock seat rails were mounted.

The FX1 is a wider seat than the FX1 pro. I got the FX1 because not everyone is built the same, having the extra room is useful compared to the Sparco evo 2 plus seat I have in the driver position. The FX1 also seems to have more flex than the Sparco seat.

All in all I am pleased with the seat, I think it's a good value for what it is. I suggest a "sit test" if you can at a dealer.

Whatever you do, don't get the tube-frame Corbeau Forza; so uncomfortable it barely passes the definition of a seat.
Old 08-09-2008, 01:07 PM
Garen
Instructor

I have the FX1 Pro for me, and the FX1 wide version for the passenger side. Overall, I think that the seats offer a good value. Once you are over the value part, however, it becomes clear that these are not as rigid as a Recaro or Sparco fiberglass seat. The seats offer very good support, but the seat bottom cushion for the Pro is much more comfortable than the FX1 wide. The wide seat feels no softer than a piece of wood. These seats can benefit from seat back braces that tie into the roll bar/cage or harness bar, as some rigidity would be restored.

If I had to again, I will probably invest in at least an entry level, non-tube frame Sparco. Ideally, after sampling the Recaro PP & SPG, those are my favorites at the moment.

-Garen (87 930)
Old 08-09-2008, 01:28 PM
amr89c4
Pro

Thank you, Jess and Garen.

I was considering the FX1 Pro for my self and an FX1 for the passenger side as its a little wider and would probably fit more DE instructors than the narrower Pro.

Anyone else?

Lynn
Old 08-09-2008, 02:33 PM
VaSteve
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by tyro

Whatever you do, don't get the tube-frame Corbeau Forza; so uncomfortable it barely passes the definition of a seat.
I had Forzas in my 944, when I bought the S2 it had nice Sparcos. The Pro 2000 on the driver's side is very tight and is a weird angle (even though I adjusted it) for the street. I almost prefer the Forzas. But yeah, they are pretty flimsy.
Old 08-09-2008, 03:35 PM
JClark
Instructor

I found them extremely uncomfortable. I wouldnt want to drive them even to and from the track. They arent as supportive as the cheap Sparcos or Recaros either.
Old 08-09-2008, 10:57 PM
Astro0boy
Instructor

I have the FX wides in my car.
+1 on the FLEXI FLEXI.
Also, the leg bolsters have a tendency to come loose. I did most of one session with a cushion bouncing around at my feet.

They definitely fall into the "Value" category, and you pay the price. I'm shopping for new seats for next season.
Old 08-10-2008, 08:45 AM
jsabatini
Drifting

Received 35 Likes on 21 Posts

Have no idea about the FX but just a reminder that site sponsor Apex Performance sells Corbeau and offers a Rennlist discount.
Old 08-10-2008, 10:25 AM
amr89c4
Pro

J Clark: Are you referring to the FX1 seats or the Forzas. Somewhere along the way, Forzas came into the picture and my question was regarding only the FX1 models.
Old 08-10-2008, 10:28 AM
amr89c4
Pro

The FX1 Pro is narrower (up to 36 waist) and the FX1 is up to 40. The FX wide is larger yet but I don't recall the spec since I wasn't interested in a wider seat than the FX1. The FX series adverrtising implies its a composite hard shell.

Over in another forum someone also mentioned that they thought that single track seat sliders would not pass inspection at some tracks and suggested a dual track slider. Not sure what that means unless only one track or rail has the seat position lock tabs. I know my factory rails lock on both sides. I could see the importance of that in preventing a twisting load on one rail.

I currently have the original factory Porsche Sport Seats and while I like the way the hold you in place, I understand you cannot or should not use them with a harness. Most experienced DE drivers I have spoke to think the stock shoulder belts don't hold in in place well enough to eliminate supporting yourself on the steering wheel. They all agree there is a world of difference with a 5 point harness with a roll bar, which I am also looking for used. It all makes perfect sense to me and since I am just starting out and won't get to do more than 5-6 DEs a year at best, due to business travel I thought I would forego the expensive models for now. Perhaps that may prove to be a false economy.

Thanks,

Lynn
Old 08-10-2008, 11:40 AM
dmoffitt
Three Wheelin'

had 'em and got rid of 'em, not a fan
Old 08-10-2008, 02:05 PM
Astro0boy
Instructor

FWIW, i mine are hard-mounted to the floor, no rails, so that wouldn't be the source of the flex.
Also, FWIW, APEX is great.
Old 08-11-2008, 12:51 AM
ApexPerformance
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 34 Likes on 18 Posts

Corbeau is the biggest "bang for the buck" but note the seats are not FIA approved; you would need a seatback brace if doing any sanctioned racing (not a bad idea to use one anyway). The FX1 and FX1 Pro seats can either be sidemounted or bottom mounted. Sidemounted will sit you as low as possible but sidemounts bolt to a flat surface so fabrication may be needed. Bottom mounts are available for just about every make/model out there but they come with a single slider. Double locking sliders are recommended if you are doing track stuff but double lock sliders are on backorder until sometime in October.

Any ?? about Corbeau or other seat brands, feel free to contact Linda.

Toll free: 866-505-2739
Direct: 843-299-0997
EM: info@apexperformance.net
www.apexperformance.net

Save 10% on your next order over $75 on most items- enter Promocode Rennlist on your next order or mention Rennlist during your phone order.

Visit us on Facebook
Old 08-11-2008, 09:01 AM
AudiOn19s
Race Car

Received 47 Likes on 38 Posts

My brother runs an FX1-Pro in his RX-7. I helped with the installation and for no more money than they are it's a great seat. The new fabrick they're using is a nice step in the right direction as well. We did find they flex a bit as some have stated, but nothing to be alarmed with. Again for the money they're hard to beat. For serious competition you should probably pass and go for a better, FIA approved seat.
Old 08-12-2008, 02:14 AM
amr89c4
Pro

Thanks to everyone that contributed to my questions about the FX1 and Pro model seats. Now its a matter of deciding to go and get my feet wet with the Corbeaus or to belly up and go with a Sparco, Cobra or Recaro.

Quick Reply: Corbeau seat experience