Sponsored by:

Corbeau seat experience

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2008, 02:26 AM
dmoffitt
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by amr89c4
Thanks to everyone that contributed to my questions about the FX1 and Pro model seats. Now its a matter of deciding to go and get my feet wet with the Corbeaus or to belly up and go with a Sparco, Cobra or Recaro.
it's not a question in my mind, if you just "get your feet wet" with Corbeaus you'll realize "hmm, nevermind" and sell them. Go sit in some then sit in RaceTech, Recaro or the others and tell me you feel it is even CLOSE to the same league (it isn't). You shouldn't cheap out on safety, that's for sure ...
Old 08-13-2008, 06:50 PM
911vet
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks to everyone that contributed to my questions about the FX1 and Pro model seats. Now its a matter of deciding to go and get my feet wet with the Corbeaus or to belly up and go with a Sparco, Cobra or Recaro.
I'm by no means an expert, but I happened to be at a local race shop today and checked out some seats. The salesperson showed me a moderately priced Sparco and the cheapest Momo you can buy. He had me push on the backs --- not much there on the Sparco. The Momo was solid and gave me the impression I'd be much better off in that seat.

(I wasn't buying, he wasn't selling, he had nothing to gain here but to share his knowledge).

Obviously some of the cost of the Sparco went into better padding, nicer materials, etc. But it didn't go into increased safety.

I'd suggest you get to a local shop with seats available to inspect. They are not all created equally. From what I saw today, I might feel safer in my OE seats than some "racing" seats. At least the OE has a steel frame.

Not sure if the Corbeaus have serious backing to protect you in an accident. Before you buy, you might want to get to the track and check out some if you can't find a shop that stocks them. Push on some and see if the seat says, "I got your back, dude."
Old 08-13-2008, 07:41 PM
amr89c4
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you Shannon for the insight from your experience at the race shop. Your comments parallel many of the others that recommended sitting in the various seats of interest before buying. I believe that advice is very sound, based on what you just saw.

Now to find a shop that has a seat selection will be the next hurdle. I'll see if anything is available within a 100 miles of Austin. Perhaps your idea of checking different seats at a DE is a more realistic way to see a lot of different seats.

The thrill of the hunt builds!

Lynn
Old 08-13-2008, 10:07 PM
deep_uv
RIP

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thank you Shannon for the insight from your experience at the race shop. Your comments parallel many of the others that recommended sitting in the various seats of interest before buying. I believe that advice is very sound, based on what you just saw.

Now to find a shop that has a seat selection will be the next hurdle. I'll see if anything is available within a 100 miles of Austin. Perhaps your idea of checking different seats at a DE is a more realistic way to see a lot of different seats.

The thrill of the hunt builds!

Lynn
PST at MSR Cresson is about your closest option for finding some to sit in. You might as well sign up for the upcoming DE there and sit in all the seats in their showroom while you're at it.

At any DE / club race there's lots of people with all kinds of seats, most of which will have no problem letting you try them out for fit.

I'm currently installing Sparco Evo 2's in my SC project and there's nothing flimsy at all about them.
Old 08-14-2008, 06:41 PM
BIG-BRO
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'll add to the input about the "flex" in the FX1's if you just start with the bottom mount sliders. (During that time I had an instructor decline to ride in the car after one run since the flex was very noticable on the track...)
I used the sliders just long enough to measure actual position I wanted and then went with the side-mounts - that stiffened the lower part of the seat. (Some drilling/modifications/etc required for the sidemount assembly) Then also added seat back braces to the roll-bar to stiffen the upper portion of the seat. I am happy with them now !
- That's a lot of work to make up for a flexible seat....
- And, if you need to slide seat and don't have rollbar, etc then you may not be happy.

Yes - definitely go sit in a bunch of seats at a DE and pay attention to how each is mounted, and talk to more folks.

Quick Reply: Corbeau seat experience