Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question About the Business of Racing

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2008, 01:20 PM
Phokaioglaukos
Rennlist Member

Received 60 Likes on 40 Posts

A fellow in our club bought a seat in a Koni car for the VIR enduro. I think it was $27,000.
Old 08-07-2008, 02:25 PM
MJR911
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

"Checkbook and helmet in hand"

One of my best friends, some know of whom I am speaking, has been running in GAC ST. These races are no more competitive than a top spec miata weekend... but the exposure is there and the egos get even bigger. With those kind of dollars in play, there are plenty of people that will take them from you. IMHO, the 12 and 13 hour SCCA enduros are a better 'bang for your buck' than GAC. The next real step to me would be Rolex and the 24 hour in a GT car... but get ready to pay. I've heard around $50k for a seat with no pro drivers.

Peter, good luck with the 24 hour effort. Hope to be there myself in next 8 years.
Old 08-07-2008, 03:17 PM
Potomac-Greg
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by sechsgang
I just got an offer for half off another car at the NJMP race...ugh...I want to do this one really badly, but I dont know if I can!

-Drew
Did you mean:

"... half off another car..."

or

"...half of another car..." ??

Big difference! If they're starting to offer discounts, maybe .... Nah.
Old 08-07-2008, 04:44 PM
HIGHBOOST
Pro

How well are the engineers and managers getting payed for these race teams? With the high expenses to fund a race team these days, I would almost imagine they run heavily with volunteers? That seems a little drastic of a measure though...
Old 08-07-2008, 11:44 PM
analogmike
Rennlist Member

Received 103 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by MJR911
One of my best friends, some know of whom I am speaking, has been running in GAC ST. These races are no more competitive than a top spec miata weekend...
Randy Pobst, Shane Lewis, Bill Auberlin, and more of the best sports car and prototype drivers in the USA run Koni ST, I dont think you will ever see any of them in a Miata. Of course if you mean COMPETITIVE then nothing can beat a field of 30 spec cars that cost less than a cup car muffler and rear bumper.
Old 08-07-2008, 11:45 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,581 Likes on 826 Posts

Originally Posted by analogmike
Randy Pobst, Shane Lewis, Bill Auberlin, and more of the best sports car and prototype drivers in the USA run Koni ST, I dont think you will ever see any of them in a Miata. Of course if you mean COMPETITIVE then nothing can beat a field of 30 spec cars that cost less than a cup car muffler and rear bumper.
+1
Old 08-08-2008, 10:50 AM
Potomac-Greg
Drifting

I think the point is (or if it's not here's another point) that IF your goal is to try some competitive professional racing AND you're either at the earlier stages of an intended racing career OR you really don't care about a racing career, then the Miata Series' make sense. I, for example, have no designs on a racing career, but if I wanted to test myself and build a trophy resume, I would probably end up on a Miata type series.

Mazda seems to elevate people from the Miatas to "higher" series'.
Old 08-08-2008, 12:29 PM
sechsgang
Rennlist Member

Received 1,023 Likes on 478 Posts

Originally Posted by Phokaioglaukos
A fellow in our club bought a seat in a Koni car for the VIR enduro. I think it was $27,000.
ya, thats me...haha

FYI, if you buy one seat, whoever you buy it with may give steep discounts for other races, so if you take the plunge once, you may get some long term benefits.

-Drew
Old 08-08-2008, 12:31 PM
sechsgang
Rennlist Member

Received 1,023 Likes on 478 Posts

Add on Craig Stanton and DARREN LAW to that list as well. Koni IMHO is one of the best ways to spend the money...the Rolex series are INSANELY expensive and many times you drive with the same drivers but with even MORE buy ins that risk your chances of finishing...hell Craigs last student nearly punted him at Barber (he recovered to a full 360, was awesome).

-Drew
Old 08-08-2008, 01:30 PM
171mph
Racer

Originally Posted by MTosi
Nope not at all, but deductive reasoning would suggest that. The team was founded in 2003 by Seth Neiman....So that leaves us with the two major sponsors, Shoretel and ESilicion, a quick search on google returns the fact Seth Neiman (a super rich venture capitalist) is on the board of directors of both and also is a large share holder/founding member of each. Now that would lead me to believe either he is funding the team completely and he figures he might as well get some sponsorship opportunities out it, or he can pull strings at the company (or is just plain incharge) and is having them fund his hobby....
Flying lizard driver Johannes Van Overbeek is the son of Tom Van Overbeek, the former CEO and current director of Shoretel, a publicly traded company....

I love coincidences. Seriously though I doubt Nieman would risk his reputation by having Shoretel fund a hobby - it's prob all from his personal fortune.
Old 08-08-2008, 02:18 PM
MJR911
Three Wheelin'

If I paid them to run in a miata, they would... just like APR, Turner, etc. But thats not the point. Its all about your goals. There is not a direct correlation between money spent and hard, competitive racing is my only point. If the money becomes equal between a pro series (GAC) and a club (PCA) arrive and drive weekend, it becomes perfectly justified to try the "next step." In my opinion.
Old 08-08-2008, 02:19 PM
MJR911
Three Wheelin'

Drew, what are you running for VIR GAC? ST or GS? $27k for the seat or whole car?
Old 08-08-2008, 02:40 PM
Phokaioglaukos
Rennlist Member

Received 60 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by 171mph
Seriously though I doubt Nieman would risk his reputation by having Shoretel fund a hobby - it's prob all from his personal fortune.
Were it not improper for me to do so, I could name a race team that you have heard of where the money came from a public company (marketing/advertising expense) and a driver was a relative of the CEO. It happens, questionable (or worse) than that is.
Old 08-08-2008, 06:20 PM
Austin
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by PTurbo965
I agree.

Does anyone have any idea what the price tag would be to lease a car/parts/crew from them for a race like the 12hrs of Sebring?
Maybe $100-120k?? Hard to say without knowing who's car, your other drivers, how much testing and practice, etc. I doubt the car is an issue, he could find you a car and get it prepped to your liking if they don't have one outfitted.

Call Kevin @ 707.935.3999 x110
Old 08-08-2008, 11:29 PM
aeshultz
Burning Brakes

Chris;
You wouldn't happen to be thinking about "Bananas" or "Joes," would you?
I think someone is spending some time away for that capper.

Quick Reply: Question About the Business of Racing