Sponsored by:

Question About the Business of Racing

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2008, 12:20 PM
MTosi
User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Potomac-Greg
Auberlein and Hand can't do a 10 second interview without turning it into a commercial for Ruby Tuesday. They're definitely getting their money's worth. Kind of NASCAR-ish, but if it works, more power to them. Somehow, I can't see some of the European/Latin American drivers becoming shameless pitchmen.
I actually love it an American race team with American drivers, and an American sponsor, same with Stallings/Gainsco. Both with REAL sponsors. Huge props and respect to the team owners for actually wanting to win and paying/hiring American drivers, and for not taking on a bunch of spoiled rich kids. The reason you can't see the Latin American drivers being pitchmen is because daddy the south american drug lord/business man is paying for the ride. Why is someone like Rojas (Mexican) at Ganassi? Just think who their sponsor is and that clears right up, it's TELMEX. (forgive my cynicism and racial stereotyping, but it drives me crazy. )
Old 08-06-2008, 12:26 PM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 2,360 Likes on 630 Posts

Originally Posted by DWalker
Winner winner!

There are other things that a race team brings in to support itself as well. Drivers for example may have thier own personal sponsors which help foot the bill.
A "new" technique some race teams use to bring in income is the "driver test day" where they find relatively talented amatuer drivers and let them "test" for a position with the team for a fee, usually 3-5k. Its a win-win for the team, because they make a decent amount of cash- say, 30k- and might actually find a decent driver candidate for a relatively low output- say 10k for the day, including track rental, gas, tires, crew wages, etc.
I've been invited to do this and I think was quoted as "well as long as I get to leave my checkbook at home"
Old 08-06-2008, 12:26 PM
Streak
Perfect Angel
Rennlist Member

Received 168 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by MTosi
Nope not at all, but deductive reasoning would suggest that. The team was founded in 2003 by Seth Neiman. Clearly he has an interest in racing/driving since he is one of the drivers. Okay so then let's assume he didn't start the team just for entertainment and he wanted to run a new business/return a profit. Most of the drivers that are racing (or have) with the team are pro's and not paying for their ride (Bergmeister, Henzler, Law, Pilet, Overbeek). So then we go to the sponsor/parter page on there website to find the money, since they are barely visible on the racecars (up to this point I wasn't even aware who their "major" sponsors were). So we find only 4 sponsors. First is Michelin who is clearly not funding the team, simply providing tires. Then we go to Troy Lee Designs a smaller motorcycle fashion company, I doubt they are funding very much of the team. So that leaves us with the two major sponsors, Shoretel and ESilicion, a quick search on google returns the fact Seth Neiman (a super rich venture capitalist) is on the board of directors of both and also is a large share holder/founding member of each. Now that would lead me to believe either he is funding the team completely and he figures he might as well get some sponsorship opportunities out it, or he can pull strings at the company (or is just plain incharge) and is having them fund his hobby. Now could the organization as a whole be breaking even, possibly, but the real question is the team owner returning a profit, I HIGHLY doubt Seth Neiman is making money on the operation, although that is 100% speculation.
I'm no expert but everytime I ask my accountant about my company paying for my "hobby" I'm told "Not a great idea."

She obviously doesn't know how fast I am

The reason is that if I set up a marketing business around my club race car (soon, very soon) then it must turn a profit in what the IRS considers a reasonable amount of time. I think the rule is 2 of the last 5 years or it's a hobby not a business and their are tax implications.

Flying Lizard has to be showing some sort of profit as an ongoing concern or else it is the owner's hobby and he's got the cash to play all he wants answering really to no one. Either way, the guy has a race team.
Old 08-06-2008, 12:27 PM
JClark
Instructor

I've always been curious about this as well. I've worked in advertising and am astonished that teams can make enough money to support a season of ALMS racing with tiny stickers on the sides of the car. The exposure is negligible on TV and the client/party tent at the races cant be worth that much in the grand scheme.

I can understand why Ruby Tuesday is in it when Auberlen and Hand do a direct plug 3-4 times per race, but is it really worth the couple hundred g's (pure speculation, no idea how much they pay) for a plug on SPEED channel for a race MAYBE aired live, more likely Monday at 3pm?

Serious questions. Can anyone give a real broad but plausible balance sheet for ANY big timer team?
Old 08-06-2008, 12:55 PM
angelo1404
Shamwow!
Rennlist Member

Aren't most teams in the lower divisions (ALMS, Rolex, Koni, etc) just teams formed by rich guys who want to drive so they spend the money to form a team and get a professional co-driver so they can compete?

Seems pretty simple to me.
Old 08-06-2008, 12:59 PM
MTosi
User

Originally Posted by angelo1404
Aren't most teams in the lower divisions (ALMS, Rolex, Koni, etc) just teams formed by rich guys who want to drive so they spend the money to form a team and get a professional co-driver so they can compete?

Seems pretty simple to me.
With a few exceptions (Manufacturers, teams that actually make money off pay for your riders, and teams with real sponsors) that about sums it up.
Old 08-06-2008, 01:10 PM
chrisp
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

don't know for sure but my money is on Seth funding the majority with other principles kicking some in
Old 08-06-2008, 01:42 PM
Phokaioglaukos
Rennlist Member

Received 60 Likes on 40 Posts
Default Bingo!

Originally Posted by MTosi
Nope not at all, but deductive reasoning would suggest that. The team was founded in 2003 by Seth Neiman. Clearly he has an interest in racing/driving since he is one of the drivers. Okay so then let's assume he didn't start the team just for entertainment and he wanted to run a new business/return a profit. Most of the drivers that are racing (or have) with the team are pro's and not paying for their ride (Bergmeister, Henzler, Law, Pilet, Overbeek). So then we go to the sponsor/parter page on there website to find the money, since they are barely visible on the racecars (up to this point I wasn't even aware who their "major" sponsors were). So we find only 4 sponsors. First is Michelin who is clearly not funding the team, simply providing tires. Then we go to Troy Lee Designs a smaller motorcycle fashion company, I doubt they are funding very much of the team. So that leaves us with the two major sponsors, Shoretel and ESilicion, a quick search on google returns the fact Seth Neiman (a super rich venture capitalist) is on the board of directors of both and also is a large share holder/founding member of each. Now that would lead me to believe either he is funding the team completely and he figures he might as well get some sponsorship opportunities out it, or he can pull strings at the company (or is just plain incharge) and is having them fund his hobby. Now could the organization as a whole be breaking even, possibly, but the real question is the team owner returning a profit, I HIGHLY doubt Seth Neiman is making money on the operation, although that is 100% speculation.
Last year I talked with one of the FL drivers about the economics of that team's racing. His description matches the deductive reasoning above pretty well. All outgo, no real income for that team, and the first year budget, what with transportation to Le Mans, hotels for the week between practice and race, staff, etc. was in the several million range.
Old 08-06-2008, 02:45 PM
rlm328
Rennlist Member

Received 309 Likes on 206 Posts

I don't know about the rest of you but I would truly love to be in his position. The thought of being able to afford the best in everything and to run a first class operation without having to worry about financing would be phenomenal.
Old 08-06-2008, 02:50 PM
ajcjr
Rennlist Member

Received 43 Likes on 31 Posts

Back when i was drag racing i had a sponsor and even though he did very well with his business he still pursued sponsors to help him. The little stickers on the side of the car are contigency stickers (they were for us) that usually pay if you win or have a good finish.

I do know that like someone mentioned above that some of these teams are built from people who love the hobby,sport or whatever you call it and have the money to move into the big leagues. I knew plenty of people that started out in sportsman drag racing and moved up to the pros because it was their hobby, not that they were looking to make money from it.

This is not to say that some do start off as a hobby and turn around and make it into a business. But like any business you need to invest some money into it and i dont think you could start a team based on sponsor money alone. You could probably fund a season from the sponsors after you have made the initial investment.

The only way to make a million in racing is to start with 2 million.
Old 08-06-2008, 02:54 PM
ajcjr
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by rlm328
I don't know about the rest of you but I would truly love to be in his position. The thought of being able to afford the best in everything and to run a first class operation without having to worry about financing would be phenomenal.
i always tell my friends the same thing, it would be a dream of mine to have a team like that.

If i can not own a high caliber team, i will just fund a team for myself and my son if he decides to race.
Old 08-06-2008, 03:05 PM
Sean F
NASA Racer
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 20 Posts

TRG = look at how many cars they run and most of them are weekend warriors paying for the ride
Old 08-06-2008, 04:07 PM
ajcjr
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 1957 356
TRG = look at how many cars they run and most of them are weekend warriors paying for the ride
do you know what they get on average per weekend.

But TRG is not really a team are they? I thought they were more of a arrive and drive business.
Old 08-06-2008, 04:18 PM
DogInBlack
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by ajcjr
do you know what they get on average per weekend.

But TRG is not really a team are they? I thought they were more of a arrive and drive business.
That's what I thought.

What do the different classes pay for finishes? I've never seen a breakdown of winnings like you can find in Nascar. For instance, you win/place/show in DP, GT, or Koni- what are the prize money and contingencies?
Old 08-06-2008, 04:32 PM
jrgordonsenior
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by 1957 356
They had 7 Porsches in the GT class at Daytona this year finishing 2nd. 3rd. and 4th. They do a very professional job in the league of FL and their clients pay handsomely for the privledge.....

Quick Reply: Question About the Business of Racing