Sponsored by:

heel and toe question

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2008, 02:34 PM
sechsgang
Rennlist Member

Received 961 Likes on 456 Posts

Originally Posted by MTosi
Here's a video from one of my other post's, the camera slowly started slipping off the mount and ended up pointing at my feet, at around the half way point you can see a real quick h/t double clutch (auto X) should give anyone wondering about a time frame an idea what the motion looks like and how long it takes (w/ a stock 911 shifter). If you didn't know your looking for a 2C you'd be hard pressed to notice otherwise.

http://atthetrack.redtreeconsulting....album=11&pos=7
yes, but the question is, is even that extra movement worth it when your coming in hot with cars on all sides of you into a corner where maybe 2-3 can fit well...IMHO, its not something I would care to spend time with. Maybe Im just a KISS fanatic...
Old 08-06-2008, 03:10 PM
MTosi
User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by vbcracer
I used to 1C all the time until I removed and repaired my own (1974) 915 transmission. What I saw inside convinced me to 2C. Since then and like jpinkert, I have found I can get the shifts done faster most of the time because I don't have to wait for the synchros to work. Over time I have developed a 2C
method using a WEVO shifter that is as quick as a 1C. And yes, if I need to shift down more than 1 gear I skip gears and go directly to the gear I need.
hmmmm..... another person who has taken apart a gearbox and then deciced 2C was a good idea, anyone noticing a trend....

Originally Posted by sechsgang
yes, but the question is, is even that extra movement worth it when your coming in hot with cars on all sides of you into a corner where maybe 2-3 can fit well...IMHO, its not something I would care to spend time with. Maybe Im just a KISS fanatic...
No thats actually a very good point, the great thing about being able to 2C, is during a sprint race or enduro you can just 1C for the first couple of laps and while the fur is flying, then when it settle's down go back to 2C for longevity.

The other thing you have to keep in mind is the only extra motion is an extra up/down of the clutch, your foot is there anyway and isn't doing any thing else so why not?
Old 08-06-2008, 03:33 PM
arrivederci
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1,179 Likes on 414 Posts

In a 996, sure, agree 100%. But with a 915, I contend that you'll spend more time doing a 1c downshift than a properly executed 2c downshift. I'd rather go through the extra clutch movement, get the downshift done, and move on to all the other things.
Old 08-06-2008, 04:46 PM
sechsgang
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jpinkert
In a 996, sure, agree 100%. But with a 915, I contend that you'll spend more time doing a 1c downshift than a properly executed 2c downshift. I'd rather go through the extra clutch movement, get the downshift done, and move on to all the other things.
That makes sense for sure. I only really have experience with newer cars with nice syncros, so Im used to only 1c shifts.

Mtosi
I see what your saying, but even just that extra movement is something else your brain has to do during a time when you want max "processing" power focused on other things. I think it goes to say this is also why during pro races, cars see unbelievable revs and need many rebuilt parts (regardless of standard rebuild schedules) as when it comes down to it, it is still time!

-Drew
Old 08-06-2008, 04:52 PM
MTosi
User

Mtosi
I see what your saying, but even just that extra movement is something else your brain has to do during a time when you want max "processing" power focused on other things. I think it goes to say this is also why during pro races, cars see unbelievable revs and need many rebuilt parts (regardless of standard rebuild schedules) as when it comes down to it, it is still time!

-Drew
But If your racing pro you shouldn't be thinking about downshifts (plus now almost all pro cars have sequentials), it should be programmed and subconscious. As mentioned prior it realy doesn't take longer, along with the fact as long as you get your downshifts done during the brake zone you aren't losing time. All this being said I'm not telling anyone to change, just that people who haven't learned yet or drivers of older cars should keep an open mind and give it a try.
Old 08-06-2008, 06:01 PM
sechsgang
Rennlist Member

[QUOTE=MTosi;5679533]But If your racing pro you shouldn't be thinking about downshifts (plus now almost all pro cars have sequentials), it should be programmed and subconscious. As mentioned prior it realy doesn't take longer, along with the fact as long as you get your downshifts done during the brake zone you aren't losing time. All this being said I'm not telling anyone to change, just that people who haven't learned yet or drivers of older cars should keep an open mind and give it a try.[/QUOTE

haha, ok, try it and get back to us...I have a feeling you wont want to be doing that unless necessary, but consider me new school.

-Drew
Old 08-06-2008, 09:37 PM
Qwickrick
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I learned to drive on a Triumph TR-3 with worthless syncros and now have a E-Type Jaguar with also worthless syncros and with both, I always double clutched all downshifts out of necessity.
Last year, one of my students commented to me that I was double clutching my downshifts on my GT-3, and I said "huh?"/totally subconscious and even though I'm now sometimes aware of this,
and there are times when I'm in a hurry and don't, I don't see any downside of double clutching.

On a side note, my last car was a 993 Turbo, with 50,000 miles on it, which represent almost ten years of track miles, and was still on original clutch and tranny.
Old 08-06-2008, 10:33 PM
ajcjr
Rennlist Member

Received 43 Likes on 31 Posts

Can someone explain double clutching? Any good videos or forums on heel and toe. This is all new to me and would like to understand it.

thank you
Old 08-09-2008, 09:46 PM
ajcjr
Rennlist Member

bueller, anyone ??
Old 08-10-2008, 02:35 AM
F350Lawman
Racer

errr..i double clutch my JD tractor, but it has no synchros. At a max 12.5 mph, I don't find that it slows me down too much
Old 08-10-2008, 09:47 AM
MTosi
User

Originally Posted by ajcjr
bueller, anyone ??
If you refer to one of my previous posts (#29) there is a quick h/t 2c video around the half way point of the run, it's pretty quick so watch carefully.

This is the sequence for say a 4th to 3rd downshift.......

-Clutch in
-move the level into neutral
-Clutch out
-Blip the gas (match revs)
-Clutch in
-Move lever into third
-Clutch out

It sounds complicated, but that takes less than a half second. To simplify the description, basically you shift into neutral, blip, the shift into the gear you want.
Old 08-10-2008, 05:54 PM
ajcjr
Rennlist Member

is it bad to pull out a gear instead of using the clutch to take it out of gear

and Mtosi thank you for the post
Old 08-10-2008, 06:57 PM
JackOlsen
Race Car

Received 62 Likes on 48 Posts

A single-clutch downshift is faster on a 915 than a double-clutch. If it isn't, you've got synchro/bushing/adjustment issues with the 915.

Quick Reply: heel and toe question