Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: Is Veloce Raptor Good or Bad for this Forum?
Good for the Forum
35.25%
Bad for the Forum
25.41%
Most Posts are Entertaining
39.75%
Entertaining Only Himself with His Posts
31.15%
VR in Virginia is the best race track between Lime Rock and Road Atlanta
72.95%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 244. You may not vote on this poll

Poll! Is Veloce Raptor Good or Bad for the Forum?

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2008, 10:37 PM
dblapex
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
That's OK. I'll wear Depends...
at your age you better
Old 08-11-2008, 10:39 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,597 Likes on 832 Posts

Originally Posted by dblapex
at your age you better
They're crotchless, too.

That's how I roll.
Old 08-11-2008, 10:42 PM
deep_uv
RIP

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
They're crotchless, too.

That's how I roll.
Easier access from behind????
Old 08-11-2008, 10:45 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,597 Likes on 832 Posts

Originally Posted by deep_uv
Easier access from behind????
Um....no....but far be it from me to criticize how YOU sit in your seat when you drive on track...
Old 08-13-2008, 03:05 PM
jakermc
Rennlist Member

Received 567 Likes on 252 Posts

Originally Posted by SWA911
I did.

And yes, despite my dismal showing at ECR, my car is competitive. No LSD, original un-opened 178k motor and old RA-1's

http://www.mylaps.com/results/showru...478&perclass=1

Like I said, purely MY opinion and observations. Don't get your knickers in a twist.
So to build an SC for under $30K all I have to do is gain years of experience as an airline mechanic, have access to materials and the machine shop at Southwest, and then convince Buckley to hire me and give me access to his shop?

I've loved watching the progress of your build on Pelican, but lets be honest, its not an experience very many other people could duplicate. The rest of the world is comfortably over $30K.

I've raced an SC bodied car for some time now and am 99% done with my SPBOX build. There may be many reasons to argue an SC over an SPBOX, build and running costs are not on that list.
Old 08-13-2008, 08:40 PM
SWA911
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jakermc
So to build an SC for under $30K all I have to do is gain years of experience as an airline mechanic, have access to materials and the machine shop at Southwest, and then convince Buckley to hire me and give me access to his shop?

I've loved watching the progress of your build on Pelican, but lets be honest, its not an experience very many other people could duplicate. The rest of the world is comfortably over $30K.

I've raced an SC bodied car for some time now and am 99% done with my SPBOX build. There may be many reasons to argue an SC over an SPBOX, build and running costs are not on that list.

You are right. I do not consider myself any kind of super mechanic or anything but I have acquired skills and knowledge over the years that made building my own race car possible. I guess maybe because I am not afraid to tackle any job on the car completely by myself, I think that others also think that way.

BTW, SWA doesn't have a machine shop but I did use the bead blaster once or twice! And 99% of the work I do on my car is at the house in my hot little garage.

It's all good my friend. You race your Boxster and I'll race my SC and we'll both have a blast then go have a beer and talk about how you passed me.

Here's a pic you'll enjoy.
Attached Images  
Old 08-13-2008, 09:04 PM
JW in Texas
Three Wheelin'

Ugh! Man, I don't miss those colors on my car at all!
Old 08-13-2008, 09:28 PM
deep_uv
RIP

Originally Posted by jakermc

Admittedly with lots of solicited advice from Jeff (SWA911), I'm building a D class SC in my hot little garage too. OK, So I have a window unit and it's really pretty cool in there, actually. Anyway, I'm on a very well planned budget which so far looks to come in well under $30k total including the fresh motor donor. It will be a very similar car to Jeff's with top notch equipment. I'm no super mechanic and I've never done this before. I'm finding deals on Ebay and these forums, even for new parts. I will only hire out the cage and suspension final setup and that's it. Unless of course I really screw something up, which could happen.

I think it's Do it yourself, < $30K. Write a check, > $40k. Which really is not in disagreement with what you are saying other than I think it's not that hard for the average mechanically inclined to accomplish. It's really the knowledge of what to do that's most important. That's where our friends and contacts in PCA, Rennlist, Pelican, etc.... make it possible.

Last edited by deep_uv; 08-13-2008 at 10:25 PM.
Old 08-13-2008, 09:36 PM
dblapex
Instructor

SWA911
I recognize that color scheme.....Is that newborn baby **** green?

Yeah I know my school bus yellow is not much better, but when you are as slow as I am you better stand out!
Old 08-13-2008, 10:15 PM
SWA911
Instructor

Every time I saw it all I could think was "GO ARMY!"

Steve thanks for your support. Don't sell yourself short......you are a super mechanic (all except for the garage with A/C........ you *****)
Old 08-13-2008, 11:06 PM
amondc
Burning Brakes

You are right. I do not consider myself any kind of super mechanic or anything but I have acquired skills and knowledge over the years that made building my own race car possible. I guess maybe because I am not afraid to tackle any job on the car completely by myself, I think that others also think that way.

BTW, SWA doesn't have a machine shop but I did use the bead blaster once or twice! And 99% of the work I do on my car is at the house in my hot little garage.

It's all good my friend. You race your Boxster and I'll race my SC and we'll both have a blast then go have a beer and talk about how you passed me.

What happened to the "R" in your Buckley Racing Sticker?

Maybe we should get JW a sticker "G.I. Jay the SPBOX hero!!!"
Old 08-13-2008, 11:41 PM
SWA911
Instructor

Originally Posted by amondc
What happened to the "R" in your Buckley Racing Sticker?
You knocked it off with your girlie man car! That reminds me I need to take a picture of that "existing damage" for my logbook.

I see Watkins is coming to RA with his sweet little honey baby car.
Old 08-14-2008, 12:02 AM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by deep_uv
Admittedly with lots of solicited advice from Jeff (SWA911), I'm building a D class SC in my hot little garage too. OK, So I have a window unit and it's really pretty cool in there, actually. Anyway, I'm on a very well planned budget which so far looks to come in well under $30k total including the fresh motor donor. It will be a very similar car to Jeff's with top notch equipment. I'm no super mechanic and I've never done this before. I'm finding deals on Ebay and these forums, even for new parts. I will only hire out the cage and suspension final setup and that's it. Unless of course I really screw something up, which could happen.

I think it's Do it yourself, < $30K. Write a check, > $40k. Which really is not in disagreement with what you are saying other than I think it's not that hard for the average mechanically inclined to accomplish. It's really the knowledge of what to do that's most important. That's where our friends and contacts in PCA, Rennlist, Pelican, etc.... make it possible.
I'll second the comment that it's really not THAT difficult to build a car from a good donor. Admittedly there are certain things, like cage building that hardly anyone can do, and other things like alignment that are best left to a pro, at least in the beginning. But an awful lot can be done by someone with very little experience. I know only the very basics about working on cars, but I've put in a third radiator, replaced rotors, replaced the air box, and installed a fair amount of the suspension myself (with considerable help from rennlist, renntech, and some friends). So far so good. OK, I did break my nose , but I could have done that without the car build.
Old 08-14-2008, 12:07 AM
JW in Texas
Three Wheelin'

Every time I saw it all I could think was "GO ARMY!"
Yep, they sucked! I'm not saying the new gray & green is anything great but it beats baby crap green & GI Joe. It was painted on so it was either repaint the whole damn car or cover it up with something.

PS: Yeah, Watkins is bringing the Powderpuff Girls car I actually podiumed up there in the Cup when I had a car I knew how to drive. It should be an interesting weekend
Old 08-14-2008, 12:59 AM
Steve Watkins
Instructor

You knocked it off with your girlie man car! That reminds me I need to take a picture of that "existing damage" for my logbook.

I see Watkins is coming to RA with his sweet little honey baby car.
O' Yeah, dripping with the sweet stuff. See you there.

Quick Reply: Poll! Is Veloce Raptor Good or Bad for the Forum?