Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PCA History

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2008, 02:41 PM
race911
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

As a nearing 30 year member of PCA, does anyone else find it kinda sad that what now is Rennlist could have been the PCA internet arm? But no, when we tried to do something in the mid-90's with Stan Hanks original Porschephiles about a virtual region we were rebuffed.

So now most of the new guys I meet out and about (Santana Row stuff, impromptu meets, instructing at DE's) really can't see what point there is to joining PCA. And that makes me sad as I've multi time board member, region president, newsletter editor, etc.
Old 08-05-2008, 04:05 PM
kurt M
Mr. Excitement
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Potomac had a board that grew very large for a while with members form all over the world and had more hits than the other boards including PCA National. It got beaten with the P.C. stick for typical guy stuff in the off topic fourm and everyone left for good to other up and coming boards. The fourms never came back even after a full revamp of the site.
Old 08-05-2008, 04:33 PM
hacker-pschorr
Administrator - "Tyson"
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 2,072 Likes on 1,183 Posts

Originally Posted by Oddjob
'05 would have been the 50th anniversary of Road America - the track itself.
That sounds about right, the 50th for RADE was the year after the track turned 50.
Old 08-05-2008, 05:17 PM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 1,935 Likes on 1,170 Posts

I might be wrong but it was my understanding that Club racing is credited to NNJR's Dennis Thovson when he was national President although it was sponsored as said. Another point is although numbers constantly fluctuate NNJR Metro NY and CV combined come in just under 6000 members with NNJR being the largest of the three.

Porscherama is now open and is a great event. Not sure if it is limited but we have around 250+ attendees.

Here is a link if anyone is interested. It is always a lot of fun.

http://www.nnjr-pca.com/site/index.p...isplay&ceid=32

AFAIK NNJR is also having an event at the Glen in September. Check the website for information. They are asking for 20 volunteers to work otherwise there will be no work assignments upper run groups only and 3.5 hours of potential seat time per day. Wish I could make it.

I understand there is a dislike for work assignments but there are valid reasons why NNJR must have them and I am surprised other regions get away without covering these areas without issues.

Last edited by cobalt; 08-05-2008 at 05:32 PM.
Old 08-05-2008, 05:23 PM
Phokaioglaukos
Rennlist Member

Received 50 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by cobalt
I understand there is a dislike for work assignments but there are valid reasons why NNJR must have them and I am surprised other regions get away without covering these areas without issues.
Could you let us know what the work assignments are, and how much time they take?
Old 08-05-2008, 05:30 PM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Phokaioglaukos
Could you let us know what the work assignments are, and how much time they take?
If your talking about the Glen event not 100% sure how it will work yet so it will need to be addressed by the track chair.

Otherwise it is the standard stuff. Someone will be needed to verify signatures on waivers, Morning tech, and tower, AFAIK everything else will be covered by paid help. Time would be based on which job you have assuming you volunteered.
Old 08-05-2008, 06:18 PM
DarkSideDE
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Phokaioglaukos
The work info was on the site - and if you have more questions - who to write to about each task. Here:

Workers! We need workers!

Here are some areas where we need your assistance. If you aren't participating and would like to help (significant others also welcome!), please send an email to the chairperson below so we can get you on the list (if you aren't sure, just send an email to David Murphy: Porscherama@nnjr-pca.com). Volunteers get a free shirt and dinner, so sign up now!

Registration (Friday night and Saturday). Contact Craig Mahon or David Murphy: Porscherama@nnjr-pca.com

Autocross (staging, timing and scoring). Contact Drew Karpinski: autocross@nnjr-pca.com

Concours (staging, judging, scoring). Contact Hank Menkes or Ben Rasmussen: concours@nnjr-pca.com

Drivers' Education (staging, tower, tech). Contact Bob Michaelson: trackchair@nnjr-pca.com

Rally (checkpoints, scoring). Contact Javier DeLaCruz: rally@nnjr-pca.com

Time Trial (staging, timing and scoring). Contact Craig Mahon or David Murphy: Porscherama@nnjr-pca.com

General help (we can definitely use your help!). Contact David Murphy: Porscherama@nnjr-pca.com
Old 08-05-2008, 11:56 PM
tntporsche
Instructor

Porscherama work assignments differ from NNJR normal DE assignments. We try to cover as many work assignments with volunteers (mostly non-drivers) as possible. We also hire 30+ flaggers for the event. If you are participating in multiple events, you will not be required to work. If you are participating in only one event, you will likely be called on to volunteer.

For the record, I believe the first Porscherama was in 1962. NNJR's first Driver Education event was May 1, 1971 at Lime Rock.
Old 08-06-2008, 10:00 AM
Bull
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by cobalt

AFAIK NNJR is also having an event at the Glen in September. Check the website for information. They are asking for 20 volunteers to work otherwise there will be no work assignments upper run groups only and 3.5 hours of potential seat time per day. Wish I could make it.

According to the online registration site, the 20 volunteer work positions were filled on the first day of registration, 8/1, for the Sept. WG event.
Old 08-06-2008, 10:21 AM
Mike in Chi

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 176 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by Hacker-Pschorr
That sounds about right, the 50th for RADE was the year after the track turned 50.
Hacker

Why did you post that?

It is so cruel and insensitive to the guys on the east coast...
Old 08-06-2008, 10:35 AM
DarkSideDE
Pro

Originally Posted by tntporsche
For the record, I believe the first Porscherama was in 1962. NNJR's first Driver Education event was May 1, 1971 at Lime Rock.
Tnt - is that the NNJR's Porscherama - or the Tri-State Porscherama?
Old 08-06-2008, 11:09 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Bull
According to the online registration site, the 20 volunteer work positions were filled on the first day of registration, 8/1, for the Sept. WG event.
Well there you go. Wish I could make it but I have already committed and volunteered to help at Porscherama and plan on making it to Thunderbolt the previous week. Too much time off from work and wear and tear on my body and car doing three events within 19 days or less, but I am working on escaping the glen sounds too good to miss.

I hope to see everyone at Prama this year, should be a blast but I am taking home the three event trophy this year LOL.

Quick Reply: PCA History