Sponsored by:

PCA History

Old 08-02-2008, 06:35 PM
Bull
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by DarkSideDE
I think it has to do with the size of the regions. A Tristate that only allowed 100 people - Metro, NNJR and CVR have more than 4000 members combined. I don't know the actual figures but each one has more than 1000 members on its own.

I hope you keep the Porscherama alive - enjoy it - and may everyone have a great time at it.

Do you still set it up like the originals were - with DE, Rallye, Concours and Drag Strip?
It is a more complete event now. At Pocono, with the entire facility utilized, simultaneously there is a DE on the North Course, open track for URG drovers on the South Course, and an over sized AutoX on the East Course. On the second day, the DE and URG open track switch courses, while day two of the autoX goes on the East Course. Additionally, there is a Time Trial run on the morning of the second day (North Course), a Concours on the first day, a Rally on the first afternoon, a huge, sponsored dinner and party on the first night (guests for a small charge). I'm likely forgetting something else.

I'm told that NNJR now has approx. 2250 members.
Old 08-03-2008, 01:00 AM
fuenfer
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Bull
It is a more complete event now. At Pocono, with the entire facility utilized, simultaneously there is a DE on the North Course, open track for URG drovers on the South Course, and an over sized AutoX on the East Course. On the second day, the DE and URG open track switch courses, while day two of the autoX goes on the East Course. Additionally, there is a Time Trial run on the morning of the second day (North Course), a Concours on the first day, a Rally on the first afternoon, a huge, sponsored dinner and party on the first night (guests for a small charge). I'm likely forgetting something else.

I'm told that NNJR now has approx. 2250 members.
(Not to hijack my own thread, but ...) Hey Bull, I haven't been to an NNJR event all year - are they still making people work? And does Michaelson also use the "tell Aunt Silvia to keep the candles burning joke?"
Old 08-03-2008, 10:37 AM
Bull
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by fuenfer
(Not to hijack my own thread, but ...) Hey Bull, I haven't been to an NNJR event all year - are they still making people work? And does Michaelson also use the "tell Aunt Silvia to keep the candles burning joke?"
I have only driven at one NNJR event this year. Other events have been with Schattenbaum, Niagara, etc. As an Instructor, I "worked".

Don't know the "Aunt Silvia" joke, so I guess he isn't using it. Bob is doing a great job as Track Chair, and making some interesting changes. The Watkins Glen II event is going to be for non-instructed drovers, with only 2 run groups and 3.5 hours of track time each day......no work assignments or instructing.
Old 08-03-2008, 10:40 AM
DrJupeman
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Throw a club race in there and it'll be complete!
Old 08-03-2008, 10:46 AM
Bull
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by DrJupeman
Throw a club race in there and it'll be complete!
And then I would attend.........
Old 08-03-2008, 11:56 AM
DarkSideDE
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It is a more complete event now. At Pocono, with the entire facility utilized,....
How many people is the event open to?

Olden days at Limerock - is was very limited - 100 people - that's all.... and probably the reason it was dropped as a Tristate event -

So are we agreed that the first DEs that we are aware of took place pre-1965.

Anyone from California here - that can pre-date that? And no, sorry, Time Trials do not count! LOL
Old 08-03-2008, 12:28 PM
Bull
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by DarkSideDE
How many people is the event open to?

I don't know the total count, but it is a LOT of people! Some come for just one activity like Concours, Rally or AutoX, while others enter multiple events. It is fairly common for the track rats to enter the DE, TT, open track and AutoX (some). Each event has its own venue and its own limit for participants.
Old 08-05-2008, 09:43 AM
TREMPER
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts

The first Club Race was at Second Creek in Colorado not Potomac's Summit Point event...
Old 08-05-2008, 09:58 AM
hacker-pschorr
Administrator - "Tyson"
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 2,069 Likes on 1,181 Posts

2006 (or was it 2005) was the 50th anniversary of the R.A.D.E weekend at Road America for the Chicago Region.
Old 08-05-2008, 10:10 AM
APKhaos
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TREMPER
The first Club Race was at Second Creek in Colorado not Potomac's Summit Point event...

Pete,
Read my quote again. Here it is, "Potomac was also instrumental in starting the PCA Club Racing program. The first PCA Club Race on the east coast was hosted by Potomac at Summit Point."

I knew that the first club race was held in the west, but not where. As you say, it was Colorado. Thanks for that clarification.
Old 08-05-2008, 11:39 AM
TREMPER
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts

Sorry Tony...Potomac missed it by about a week..but Second Creek is no more....and Summit is still running strong...
Old 08-05-2008, 12:04 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 496 Likes on 320 Posts

Originally Posted by TREMPER
....and Summit is still running strong...
Not if they keep on using this:
Attached Images  
Old 08-05-2008, 12:05 PM
Phokaioglaukos
Rennlist Member

Received 50 Likes on 35 Posts

Riesentöter Region, Porsche Club of America, Inc. started in 1957, and was known as Eastern Pennsylvania Region, Porsche Club of America, Inc. until 1974.
Old 08-05-2008, 12:22 PM
Oddjob
Rennlist Member

Received 62 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by Hacker-Pschorr
2006 (or was it 2005) was the 50th anniversary of the R.A.D.E weekend at Road America for the Chicago Region.
'05 would have been the 50th anniversary of Road America - the track itself.
Old 08-05-2008, 02:28 PM
kurt M
Mr. Excitement
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by APKhaos
PCA Potomac is called The Founders Region for a reason.
During the year 1954 a group of Porsche owners from the Washington metropolitan area got together to share not only the joys of driving a Porsche but also with the interest of helping each other out with the maintenance of these rather unique vehicles in the US at the time. After a couple of organizational meetings they voted on the procedures for admission and membership dues and in January 1955 the Porsche Club of America was incorporated, and Potomac was chartered as the first PCA Region. The original charter is in Potomac's club archives. We bring it out every so often to remind ourselves that it all started here.

Potomac was also instrumental in starting the PCA Club Racing program. The first PCA Club Race on the east coast was hosted by Potomac at Summit Point.
Well now, that looks just like some fine art I had framed and then hung in my office for a while. (untill someone asked for it back. )

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: PCA History