Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Allview!
Old 07-22-2008, 04:28 PM
Alan Herod
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

+1 Wink -- I have no idea why people say you see five or four of the same image. As others have suggested the lines between the mirrors go away and you can see out both rear quarter windows.

You can see it in the avatar as the dark area between the two cage diagonals.
Old 07-22-2008, 04:56 PM
John H
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 67 Likes on 47 Posts

Mine is a one piece panoramic but I don't know what brand. I like it. I have never tried the Wink mirror so... What did you have before? Why would you look in the mirrors anyway?
Old 07-22-2008, 07:19 PM
M758
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Cory M
Plus when you look in the mirror and see 5 cars on your tail instead of just 1 it makes you drive a lot faster!
Nah,
I do see only one car. The you don't see the different panels as much as you might think.
Old 07-22-2008, 07:26 PM
M758
Race Director

Originally Posted by RedlineMan
I always fabricate custom brackets for the ones I install, as the stuff offered is too whippy and short. I make bracketry out of heavier stock so that there is zero vibration, and also much longer slotted arms so that you can get it far enough away from you to glance into easily.
Yep,
I had to fab longer mounts too. I sit so low in my 944 I can barely see over the steering wheel. The wink mirror is very low and mounted from the body of the car,but still in the ideal spot. It is not quite straight in the car either, but this spot works best. Custom mounts are the way to go.

I also used the end mounts and center supports to minimize vibrations. Works great now with the 4pt mount.

Here is my car and friend's car with Wink

Old 07-22-2008, 11:15 PM
38D
Nordschleife Master

Received 797 Likes on 404 Posts

Originally Posted by Alan Herod
+1 Wink -- I have no idea why people say you see five or four of the same image.
You see multiple images if it is poorly adjusted. I spent time fab-ing brackets to get mine in the exact right position, and now it's perfect. I think a 4 panel is the biggest you can fit in an aircooled 911.
Old 07-23-2008, 09:12 AM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 271 Likes on 165 Posts

Originally Posted by 38D
You see multiple images if it is poorly adjusted. I spent time fab-ing brackets to get mine in the exact right position, and now it's perfect. I think a 4 panel is the biggest you can fit in an aircooled 911.
I have the 5 panel in mine Colin, just fits between the cage uprights once I modified the mount brackets.
Old 07-23-2008, 09:53 AM
DrJupeman
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

I have the Longacre, never tried the Wink. The Longacre was such an improvement over the stock mirror I stopped looking for improvement after that.
Old 07-23-2008, 10:28 AM
Nader Fotouhi
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

I think whatever aftermarket mirror you get, the important thing is how you mount it based on your driving position. I had a 4 panel Wink that I could not get tight enough and it would shake so bad that I could not see anything. A bracket helped stabalize it, but still shaks.

I bought an Allview and the problem with it is that with my driving position, my helmet is against it as it is mounted on the front bar, so I do not have good visibility. I do not notice any distortion with either, but it is back to figuring out how to mount them for maximum visibility and satbility.
Old 07-23-2008, 10:48 AM
Alan Herod
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Nader Fotouhi
I think whatever aftermarket mirror you get, the important thing is how you mount it based on your driving position. I had a 4 panel Wink that I could not get tight enough and it would shake so bad that I could not see anything. A bracket helped stabalize it, but still shaks..
+1 Wink -- I used 'L' brackets and hose clamped them to the cage, then swung it forward and up to almost touching the windshield. Tightened the hose clamps and have not touched them since. Over 9000 track miles clamped directly to the cage -- no vibration problems, no panel failure. Add to that -- for obvious reasons, Sally and I readjust it before every session. That means at least 6 to 8 readjustments a day.

+/-1 Convex -- I don't like the the 'objects in your mirror' bit -- I have driven with them and they are pretty easy to get used too; but... I hopped in a car a few years ago to do a promotion eval. I was watching the little side mirror and hinted a few times to the driver about over-taking traffic. He said that the traffic was not that close -- curiously, I also could see using his center mirror because of the shape. He had some other issues and wasn't promoted; but when checking around the paddock with a few other instructors, I learned they were annoyed because he was not giving their student's passing signals. Kurt probably remembers this clown in the silver car.

Since I could see back from the right seat using his center mirror, was his mirror just poorly adjusted, or is this a characteristic of a convex mirror?
Old 07-23-2008, 12:50 PM
JoeMag
Rennlist Member

Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts

Joe P -- thx for pics. I drilled lower holes on seat mount and and i'm kinda short (5'8") so I'm gonna sit pretty low. ...maybe an inch or so two higher than the gent in red 944.
Old 07-23-2008, 01:45 PM
M758
Race Director

Originally Posted by JoeMag
Joe P -- thx for pics. I drilled lower holes on seat mount and and i'm kinda short (5'8") so I'm gonna sit pretty low. ...maybe an inch or so two higher than the gent in red 944.
I am 5'7" or 5'8" and have my seat mounts bolted to the floor. The seat is ont the lowest side mounts and removed the seat pad. I figure my butt is 1" off the floor pan. I can't see out the car if I put a wiper on it. As such I have my wiper rotated so it stop in the up position along the A-piller. No problem that way. I do get plenty of head room.
Old 07-23-2008, 01:53 PM
George3
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

Judging from some of the DE events I've attended, I believe
some drivers do not have any rear view mirrors at all !!!

Quick Reply: Allview mirror vs wink