Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Aiptek Camera External Microphone Project . . .

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2009, 11:36 AM
Plavan
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I went with the HD+ but record at the 60fps 720 setting- Looks better than the 1080.
Old 06-30-2009, 01:34 AM
kmarriner
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by APKhaos
OK, let raise the game here. I've got an Aiptek on order, and when I get back into town a week from now it will be getting:
- An external mic jack [tooo easy, really]
- An external record/stop switch
- An external Recording LED indicator

Should be fairly simple surgery on the camera end, and a nice little Record button and LED on the console. The remote is fine, but I like the idea of a positive light to confirm the thing is recording.
Have you gotten the record button and led working?
Old 06-30-2009, 01:51 AM
JackOlsen
Race Car

Received 62 Likes on 48 Posts

I recorded this video with my Aiptek a couple of weeks ago. My solution might be simpler than a shopping list of home-brewed fixes. I use an external mic and two external bullet cameras pumped into the Aiptek through the AV-in line. (I also have a picture-in-picture box which I don't think is manufactured anymore.) All things considered, I was happy with the audio and the picture. (It's just the driver that's a little disappointing.)

It's easy to see if (and what) you're recording when you can mount the aiptek up front. I use my iPod mount, which is between the seats. The only thing I had to home-brew was a Frannkencharger.

It's one other option. Or rather, it might be a good path to nudge APKhaos down so that he can invent a cheap picture-in-picture device for in-car videos (since there might not be one on the market, now).
Old 06-30-2009, 01:53 AM
kmarriner
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JackOlsen
I recorded this video with my Aiptek a couple of weeks ago. My solution might be simpler than a shopping list of home-brewed fixes. I use an external mic and two external bullet cameras pumped into the Aiptek through the AV-in line. (I also have a picture-in-picture box which I don't think is manufactured anymore.) All things considered, I was happy with the audio and the picture. (It's just the driver that's a little disappointing.)

It's easy to see if (and what) you're recording when you can mount the aiptek up front. I use my iPod mount, which is between the seats. The only thing I had to home-brew was a Frannkencharger.

It's one other option. Or rather, it might be a good path to nudge APKhaos down so that he can invent a cheap picture-in-picture device for in-car videos (since there might not be one on the market, now).
I have an aiptek recording from a lipstick camera mounted on my rollcage, the aiptek is in a pelican box mounted to my passenger floor, I am trying to figure out how to do an external power button, external record button and recording led.
Old 06-30-2009, 11:57 AM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 84 Posts

Check it out. Two options from Aiptek that include an external microphone jack.

http://www.aiptek.com/Merchant2/merc...&Store_Code=AS

Amazon has both for substantially less than the Aiptek MSRP.
Old 07-01-2009, 12:32 AM
genikz
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by mglobe
Check it out. Two options from Aiptek that include an external microphone jack.

Amazon has both for substantially less than the Aiptek MSRP.
I bought the one in the first link posted, from Amazon. I get it tomorrow and should have some video during a July 12th event. I'll post my vids here, and yep, I'll have an external mic hooked up.

I'll try to do one session with the built-in mic, and the rest with the external, just to compare.
Old 07-01-2009, 12:21 PM
TR6
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by genikz
I bought the one in the first link posted, from Amazon. I get it tomorrow and should have some video during a July 12th event. I'll post my vids here, and yep, I'll have an external mic hooked up.

I'll try to do one session with the built-in mic, and the rest with the external, just to compare.
Where in the car are you going to place the external mic?
Old 07-01-2009, 06:50 PM
genikz
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by TR6
I'm not sure exactly. Maybe the spare tire well, since it should pick up the exhaust, but not much wind noise. It may take some experimenting to get it to work well.
Old 07-01-2009, 10:46 PM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by TR6
I've always figured that under the driver's seat would be a good place to put an external mic. It should pick up the engine sound well there and not have too much wind noise. That is unless deep_uv is driving, in which case there would be WAY too much wind there.
Old 07-02-2009, 01:41 AM
arrivederci
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1,200 Likes on 426 Posts

I'm not sure exactly. Maybe the spare tire well, since it should pick up the exhaust, but not much wind noise. It may take some experimenting to get it to work well.
I wrapped my external mic in a shop towel and zip tied it low on the roll bar behind the drivers seat. Even though I haven't used it in a while, it worked well and the towel helped kill any wind that made its way back there.
Old 07-16-2009, 11:08 AM
genikz
Three Wheelin'

I finally got my videos posted.

These were recorded with an Aiptek HD 720P, with a $8 external microphone plugged into the factory external mic jack on the model Aiptek I purchased. Videos are recorded in 720P @ 60 FPS. My video conversion may have reduced the quality a bit, but I'm still playing with that

The first video has the mic clipped in the rear of the interior, near the exhaust system:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SXrGBP6KUFs

This video has the mic clipped in the rear of the car, but the opposite side as the exhaust:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vuDPYcNEGIs
Old 07-16-2009, 02:36 PM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

That's a really nice improvement in sound for an $8 microphone. Now all I have to do is break my current A-HD so I can get a new one that has an external mic jack.

Thanks for posting!
Old 09-02-2009, 10:05 PM
Chris M.
Rennlist Member

Received 97 Likes on 83 Posts

I finally got my videos posted.

These were recorded with an Aiptek HD 720P, with a $8 external microphone plugged into the factory external mic jack on the model Aiptek I purchased. Videos are recorded in 720P @ 60 FPS. My video conversion may have reduced the quality a bit, but I'm still playing with that

The first video has the mic clipped in the rear of the interior, near the exhaust system:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SXrGBP6KUFs

This video has the mic clipped in the rear of the car, but the opposite side as the exhaust:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vuDPYcNEGIs
Where did you get the $8 mic?
Old 09-03-2009, 12:03 AM
genikz
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Chris M.
Where did you get the $8 mic?
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00..._ya_oh_product

Quick Reply: Aiptek Camera External Microphone Project . . .