Sponsored by:

ALMS Penske leaving?

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2008, 09:58 PM
DrJupeman
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by R4][N_M4l{3R
GA is a joke, even in Rolex alot of the drivers just lack the ability. It's not the same level of competition as ALMS.
Old 07-16-2008, 09:58 PM
MTosi
User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not this again, I forgot that option in my poll "ALMS vs Grand AM", lol
Old 07-16-2008, 09:59 PM
chrisp
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wouldn't be a surprise. It would probably help sell some P2 Spyders. Its kinda hard to figure that Dyson would go in knowing that he would always have to compete with the Penske factory connection.
I think this is consistent with Porsche's typical strategy to sell customer cars. They enter ALMS with the Spyder, develop it for a couple of years and then focus on supporting customer teams so they can sell race cars.
Old 07-16-2008, 10:01 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,696 Likes on 876 Posts

GA is a joke, even in Rolex alot of the drivers just lack the ability. It's not the same level of competition as ALMS.
LMFAO!

Dumbest post of the day.
Old 07-16-2008, 10:17 PM
Alan G.
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
LMFAO!

Dumbest post of the day.
I'm not done yet!
Old 07-16-2008, 10:25 PM
tdub
Instructor

The ALMS is kind of a messed up deal with p1 and p2 but at least we dont have to look at those butt ugly dp cars in the RRolex series.

tw
Old 07-16-2008, 10:29 PM
Alan G.
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Matt Marks
Anyone think that there's a chance that he would run GA with VW power? It might fit with a the Porsche/VW tie-in.

There's probably a motor that they could borrow from Audi to work with, and VW is trying to double or triple their sales her in the next couple of years...
That concept works. The H6s benchmark really holds back the DP class. Joint work with VW or Audi opens the door for V8 work without watering down the GT Cup line.
Old 07-17-2008, 01:10 AM
Meister Fahrer
Three Wheelin'

Exactly, makes no sense at all.
Old 07-17-2008, 02:17 AM
BlueRiver86
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

LMFAO!

Dumbest post of the day.
How do you figure? I've got 3 plus years with GA, koni & rolex. I'd love to hear you tell me why you think i'm wrong...

The drivers in Rolex are not at the same professional level of driving skill as the ALMS guys are, some of them rent their rides and the cars are way less competitive, and there is much less factory involvement. Not to mention alot less people watching...

There is no way you can say GA is on the same level as ALMS, especially if you knew enough about Grand Am to realize its run like a circus.

Last edited by BlueRiver86; 07-17-2008 at 03:07 AM.
Old 07-17-2008, 02:55 AM
dp35
Pro

Originally Posted by Alan Goettel
That is very understandable, but unless Penske is just looking to do something different it does not seem consistant with his usuall racing M/O. Unless Porsche changes face and developes a V8, it would have to be for the competitive challange.
Considering that Porsche will soon be selling two vehicles with V8 engines, perhaps they'd like to demonstrate that their V8 can win races (of course it wouldn't be the same engine, but they'd market it that way).
Old 07-17-2008, 08:50 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,696 Likes on 876 Posts

How do you figure? I've got 3 plus years with GA, koni & rolex. I'd love to hear you tell me why you think i'm wrong...

The drivers in Rolex are not at the same professional level of driving skill as the ALMS guys are, some of them rent their rides and the cars are way less competitive, and there is much less factory involvement. Not to mention alot less people watching...

There is no way you can say GA is on the same level as ALMS, especially if you knew enough about Grand Am to realize its run like a circus.
Oh, this is priceless. I am not sure where to start.

However, since I will be out of internet range for the next few days, I will let others jump in here.

Suffice it to say I know a wee bit about GA. And while I never rented a ride, plenty of extremely talented drovers did/do. That is the way corporate sponsorship works....

With all due respect, I will let you revel in your sanctimonious elitism. By the way, many of the same drivers race in both series....

Have anice day.
Old 07-17-2008, 01:40 PM
BlueRiver86
Nordschleife Master

Oh, this is priceless. I am not sure where to start.

However, since I will be out of internet range for the next few days, I will let others jump in here.

Suffice it to say I know a wee bit about GA. And while I never rented a ride, plenty of extremely talented drovers did/do. That is the way corporate sponsorship works....

With all due respect, I will let you revel in your sanctimonious elitism. By the way, many of the same drivers race in both series....

Have anice day.
I know alot of drivers race in both series, I know some that do, but thats obviously not what we're talking about here..
Old 07-17-2008, 04:11 PM
Meister Fahrer
Three Wheelin'

It's also an economic question.

Even for example when Long Beach picked up the ALMS (displacing the GA race), the local business discussion what a great achievement, more race fans, more coverage, more $$, bigger sponsors, etc.
Essentially like going from AAA to the Bigs.

LB now has a multi-year contract with ALMS and intends to make the Saturday race on par with the traditional Sunday open wheel race.....

So the question would be why would Penske drop back to another series, but he does enjoy challenges.
Old 07-17-2008, 04:36 PM
BlueRiver86
Nordschleife Master

The more I read about this the more it seems like it really isn't Penske's choice. If Porsche decides not to renew the contract, they will have to find another way to compete. Without the factory funding, it may not make sense to stay in ALMS.

Quick Reply: ALMS Penske leaving?