ALMS Penske leaving?

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2008, 05:28 PM
John H
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 70 Likes on 50 Posts
Default ALMS Penske leaving?

A rumor circulating: Penske will shut down the ALMS program in 2009 and enter GA with two Dallara's.

Any substance to this or just another rumor?

I heard his contract with Porsche expires next year. Intereesting, but sure will leave a hole in ALMS.
Old 07-16-2008, 05:30 PM
MTosi
User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have no doubt they will, especially if Acura is going to run a P1 as its rumored.... Once they've tasted overall victories there is no going back....
Old 07-16-2008, 05:38 PM
chrisp
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

a threat to get ALMS to bend on more favorable rules for the GT2 cars?
Old 07-16-2008, 05:39 PM
ajcjr
Rennlist Member

Received 43 Likes on 31 Posts

that would suck! Would porsche ever go P1? How about penske in GT2.

I was also reading on another website that the ACO wants to do away with GT2 and have GT3?
Old 07-16-2008, 06:13 PM
Alan G.
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by John H
A rumor circulating: Penske will shut down the ALMS program in 2009 and enter GA with two Dallara's.

Any substance to this or just another rumor?

I heard his contract with Porsche expires next year. Intereesting, but sure will leave a hole in ALMS.
Wouldn't be a surprise. It would probably help sell some P2 Spyders. Its kinda hard to figure that Dyson would go in knowing that he would always have to compete with the Penske factory connection.
Old 07-16-2008, 06:15 PM
Jarez Mifkin
Three Wheelin'

He's giving it all to me. Who wants to be my co-drover?
Old 07-16-2008, 06:36 PM
DrJupeman
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Ugh, GA.
Old 07-16-2008, 06:42 PM
Alan G.
Pro

Originally Posted by DrJupeman
Ugh, GA.

Right! Why G.A.? Unless some motor manufacturer is bringing in truck loads of money to kick something off.
Old 07-16-2008, 06:51 PM
Jarez Mifkin
Three Wheelin'

hmmm.... A porsche powered Dallara that could run at Daytona and possibly win overall, like they used too....hmmmm Why would Porsche or Penske want to do that? That would be lunacy... hmmm...

Jarez Mifkin
Old 07-16-2008, 07:20 PM
wanna911
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ajcjr
that would suck! Would porsche ever go P1? How about penske in GT2.

I was also reading on another website that the ACO wants to do away with GT2 and have GT3?
That would be really retarded, to get rid of GT2 and make GT3. Why not just change the rules in GT2? Because if all the racing sanctions that use ACO rulings change as well, then GT2 would cease to exist anyways and the name change would be for kicks.

On another note, I'm sick of Penske and his "make it so we can win overall or I'm not going". That really irritates me. They make different classes for a reason. It is exciting to watch the Spyders duke it out with the R10's but realistically, ALMS should be just like Lemans where the P2 cars cant hang with P1. Otherwise there is no need for two classes.
Old 07-16-2008, 07:22 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,700 Likes on 879 Posts

Originally Posted by jmorris3
hmmm.... A porsche powered Dallara that could run at Daytona and possibly win overall, like they used too....hmmmm Why would Porsche or Penske want to do that? That would be lunacy... hmmm...

Jarez Mifkin
BINGO.

Responded to your PM...
Old 07-16-2008, 09:30 PM
Bryan Watts
Drifting

Originally Posted by Alan Goettel
Right! Why G.A.?
Probably because the teams and drivers all love the competition and the ability to compete for a championship with various chassis/motor configurations without having to be factory backed and factory controlled. Perhaps they, as an organization, enjoy developing and racing cars rather than serving as the support crew for a factory effort? I know that's some of the feedback I've heard from or about folks involved in GA.
Old 07-16-2008, 09:44 PM
Alan G.
Pro

Originally Posted by Bryan Watts
Probably because the teams and drivers all love the competition and the ability to compete for a championship with various chassis/motor configurations without having to be factory backed and factory controlled. Perhaps they, as an organization, enjoy developing and racing cars rather than serving as the support crew for a factory effort? I know that's some of the feedback I've heard from folks involved in GA.
That is very understandable, but unless Penske is just looking to do something different it does not seem consistant with his usuall racing M/O. Unless Porsche changes face and developes a V8, it would have to be for the competitive challange.

I don't mean it as a knock on G.A at all, but he has plenty of challange and competion in IRL and NASCAR. At this point in his career, I guess anything is possible.
Old 07-16-2008, 09:53 PM
Matt Marks
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Anyone think that there's a chance that he would run GA with VW power? It might fit with a the Porsche/VW tie-in.

There's probably a motor that they could borrow from Audi to work with, and VW is trying to double or triple their sales her in the next couple of years...
Old 07-16-2008, 09:56 PM
BlueRiver86
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

GA is a joke, even in Rolex alot of the drivers just lack the ability. It's not the same level of competition as ALMS.

Quick Reply: ALMS Penske leaving?