ALMS at Lime Rock

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2008, 08:10 PM
Sean F
NASA Racer
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 20 Posts
Default ALMS at Lime Rock

Wow, I don't how fun it will be to drive but the new track configuration at LRP made it a blast to watch the ALMS race. I spent most of the day at the base of the uphill chicane and it was awesome. Most fun I've ever had as a spectator. There was craziness all race long going through that turn. Serious fun. People blew the turn and went agro all the way through the second apex or they went up the old uphill. Sometimes there was so much tight traffic through there someone just got bumped up the old uphill. It was nuts with the speed differences of the cars. The best part was that you can get so close to the track it feels like you could reach out and touch the cars.

Track looks great. Surface seemed to hold up well. The uphill chicane and the west bend section were a mess, but only from dirt and rocks thrown on the track from people cutting corners. They're going to have to do something about people jumping the curbs.
Old 07-12-2008, 08:48 PM
ilko
Agent Orange
Rennlist Member

Received 568 Likes on 204 Posts

West Bend was the best place to watch, I spent so much time there. It was an incredible race!

I'm currently uploading about 250 pictures here: http://gallery.me.com/ilko/100014

The 4.0L flat 6 RSR's were cool!!
Old 07-12-2008, 09:16 PM
ew928
Owns the Streets
Needs Camber
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Astons were having some 'brake' issues and blew through the West Bend chicane a few times. It was funny when the crowd all went Uuuuh! as he blew through.

Porsche's used to make tractors. Didn't know Aston had an agricultural background too.

The new LR is very cool place to watch races.
Plus all the passing oppurtunities are great.
Old 07-12-2008, 09:36 PM
38D
Nordschleife Master

Received 841 Likes on 424 Posts

really fun race to watch. I think the new config looks cool...I hope we run it. The uphill chicane is way faster than the old chicane. The chicane into west bend is a real passing opportunity.
Old 07-12-2008, 09:51 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 292 Likes on 174 Posts

Originally Posted by 1957 356
Track looks great. Surface seemed to hold up well. The uphill chicane and the west bend section were a mess, but only from dirt and rocks thrown on the track from people cutting corners. They're going to have to do something about people jumping the curbs.
Yep, was a great day to watch the race.. Maybe they will put up a stack of tires like they did at the exit of the West bend chicane..
Old 07-12-2008, 09:54 PM
Circuit Motorsports
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Does anyone know how the track surface was holding up? That soon after a pour and the grip ability of those cars makes me wonder.
Old 07-12-2008, 10:14 PM
ajcjr
Rennlist Member

Received 43 Likes on 31 Posts

I thought it was a great race, i think it was way better than last year.

I was speaking to some of the Lizard drivers and they did not like the new surface at all. May be they were use to the crap that was there last year.

I watched from a couple of different spots and it was very cool, i just love when the cars pop or snap when downshifting and then whip it around a turn.

I also thought the attendance was up from last year which is great for Lemans racing in the US.
Old 07-12-2008, 10:17 PM
ajcjr
Rennlist Member

one thing i forgot how about the Petron party!!! And there seem to be more pit babes this year!!!
Old 07-12-2008, 10:27 PM
fstockcarrera
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

The track looks great. We are going to beat the hell out of the cars cutting the curbs up the new hill. I walked all thru that area during the parade laps. Sorry I didn't see you guys. [I] can't believe the rs thru the race away with 1.5 to go trying an outside pass in Big Bend. He had no real pressure. "You only have to drive fast enought to win, no more/ AMAZING
Old 07-12-2008, 11:25 PM
93 FireHawk 968
Drifting

Received 58 Likes on 42 Posts

Glad to see Porsche, especially Flying Lizard, come out on top in GT2.
Old 07-13-2008, 01:03 AM
95m3racer
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Glad to hear the turnout was decent, maybe it'll slowly get back to how it was years ago, with 2-3x the turnout.

Its definitely a good start, now they just need to get rid of that lime rock club mess

I think once the track/curbing is finished, there won't be as much dirt kicked up. A couple of the drivers said in interviews the track edge was not finished, and all the dirt/pebbles just got tossed onto the track making for some offroading adventures.
Old 07-13-2008, 08:58 AM
Sean F
NASA Racer
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 20 Posts

I heard the drivers were also complaining about the west bend section. They said it was very squirely in a dangerous spot with so much action going on between the different classes of cars. I think some of the problems the drivers were talking about might just be from it being a green track without any rubber down.

The way the drivers were jumping the second curb in the uphill section they ended up digging a big hole so the prototypes were bottoming out and must have caused damage. They'd get so much wheel spin sometimes though there that they'd leave tire marks from there to the third apex. There was so much dirt on the track there that it got pretty interesting for those guys.
Old 07-13-2008, 09:03 AM
DrJupeman
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

I, also, liked watching the race at the "new" Lime Rock, though I felt photography opportunities up the hill were a bit more limited. The new West Bend layout is GREAT for spectating, though. We had pre-race "behind the scenes" access to the Dyson camp. It was fun walking in/amongst the Spyders and 962 as the team did pre-race prep. I had my son and two of my nephews with me and I told them that if they tripped on anything I'd have to sell them to pay for any damage! I'm guessing the Dyson guys weren't as chipper after the race as they were before...

Like Colin, I would like to try the new course!

Crazy race otherwise... I'm going through my pictures now, I'll post any that might be RL worthy.
Old 07-13-2008, 09:19 AM
ajcjr
Rennlist Member

the dysons were very nice, i was speaking to the owners daughter and she was telling me how the dad started out in karting, hey there may be hope for me!!!

i am going through my photos and will post soon
Old 07-13-2008, 10:28 AM
38D
Nordschleife Master

Received 841 Likes on 424 Posts

Originally Posted by fstockcarrera
[I] can't believe the rs thru the race away with 1.5 to go trying an outside pass in Big Bend. He had no real pressure. "You only have to drive fast enought to win, no more/ AMAZING
Timo in the #7 Penske was being passed for the lead by the #9 Highcroft Acura, so that was actually for position. He should have taken his medicine and tucked in behind.

Quick Reply: ALMS at Lime Rock