Sponsored by:

Skip Barber Revisited

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2008, 01:43 AM
fuenfer
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Skip Barber Revisited

A few weeks (months?) ago, I asked this forum for advice on where to do my Skippy 3-day racing school, and got excellent advice. I ended up doing my school at Laguna Seca last weekend and had an absolute blast. So, I decided I'd pay for a 3-day racing school for my dad's next birthday. Now, I'm back to square one in trying to decide which track I should send him to. He has absolutely no DE experience, and doesn't have any "favorite" tracks.

Initially, my folks expressed an interest in visiting Chicago at the same time as the 3-day racing school, which made the Autobahn Country Club an ideal venue. And since it's also a $1,000 cheaper than any of Skippy's other tracks, I wouldn't be complaining either. Does anyone here have any experience with this track? Is it fun, challenging and does it have plenty of run-off room in case of a spin?

Among the other tracks I was considering were two of my favorite US tracks - Watkins Glen and VIR (my folks don't want to fly all the way to the west coast again, so Laguna Seca is out). I'm afraid that Watkins Glen has armco too close to the track, and I think VIR might be a bit too long and challenging for a first-time driver. I also thought Lime Rock might not be a bad track (since it's so short) for a first-time driver, but am also worried about the proximity of the walls at that track.

Anyway, I would appreciate any advice that you might have (especially since everyone's advice for my 3-day racing school was so helpful)!
Old 07-10-2008, 09:43 AM
pedsurg
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Re VIR driving schools: Just returned from the Bertil Roos school at VIR. The use the "South Course" which is perfect for this type of thing. Don't know about Skippy but I suspect they use the same course. Loved the whole course with zone 2 and P-cars but the south course is GREAT with the formula cars.

Jack
Old 07-10-2008, 10:08 AM
chrisp
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Lime Rock is now an even better track to learn on with the two new brake-turn zones. I recommend that.
Old 07-10-2008, 10:33 AM
BrandonH
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I second your instinct on "short" as better for learning. So short course at VIR or LRP. Both are beautiful areas that your mom might enjoy, with a slight nod to the antiques, restaurants and inns of NW CT vs. SW NC.
Old 07-10-2008, 10:37 AM
KOAN
Rennlist Member

Received 159 Likes on 110 Posts

Autobahn has no elevation change, and is pretty safe. It is a fun track for a first timer, but does not compare to the other tracks that you are considering. WG and VIR are really thrilling. Have you considered Mid Ohio School. It was the best that I attended ( including Skippy at Laguna).
Old 07-10-2008, 10:48 AM
dbryant61
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

VIR (home track) is not in "SW NC", but in south central Virginia. Not many antiques unless you need a FarmAll tractor, Five Star restaurants include Texas Road House and Outback, and there's a Sleep Inn!
Old 07-10-2008, 11:00 AM
BrandonH
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by dbryant61
VIR (home track) is not in "SW NC", but in south central Virginia.
No wonder I get lost every time I've tried to find it. Sorry. Pretty sure I got LRP correct.
Old 07-10-2008, 11:24 AM
cviles
Unique Title
Rennlist Member

Received 99 Likes on 69 Posts

Skippy took over the Panoz program at Road Atlanta last year. Is that an option? I haven't followed their program, but I'd be surprised if they didn't offer a school there.

It's a great track with elevation changes, half the track has some fairly technical turns and a long back straight to build speed. Pretty much everything you could ask from a track.
Old 07-10-2008, 03:08 PM
mhm993
Rennlist Member

Received 221 Likes on 148 Posts

If your Dad is really new to all this stuff, do the mid ohio school. Lots of instruction from absolutely pro instructors, and many many hours on the track. Very affordable. It's challenging, but the accura's are oh, so forgiving.
Day one is mostly parking lot exercises, followed by a two hour DE. Day two they break up the track into thirds and drill the sections, then several hours of de. Day three is track walk and then open track for the balance.
Besides, Mid ohio is a really fun track--easy to figure out, but extremely challenging to drive really well.
Old 07-10-2008, 03:40 PM
Dark Helmet
Instructor

Road America... too much history to pass it up... and its a quick hop from Chicago...
Old 07-10-2008, 04:40 PM
DogInBlack
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I did my 3 day at Laguna the same week last year and loved it. Open or MX5? Which are you going to do for your dad? The reason I ask- I'm not sure the 3day formula race school is a good call for someone with no track experience. First time on a track and first time in an open wheel is a steep learning curve and could be sensory overload. $.02

Yes, Skip is doing both Formula and MX5 at Road Atlanta.
Old 07-10-2008, 05:05 PM
gums
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

All good suggestions, but I'd also throw Ste. Jovite into the confusion....
Old 07-10-2008, 05:48 PM
pedsurg
Three Wheelin'

Brandon: You're not too far off re NC, however. On the entrance road to VIR you enter Virginia and leave NC 7 or 8 times; and when the mess hall is closed mid week lunch is usually in NC as well.

Thought I would include a picture of our group exiting OAK tree ....
Attached Images  
Old 07-10-2008, 05:49 PM
pedsurg
Three Wheelin'

....and approaching start finish
Attached Images  
Old 07-11-2008, 12:12 AM
fuenfer
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Chuck Price
Autobahn has no elevation change, and is pretty safe. It is a fun track for a first timer, but does not compare to the other tracks that you are considering. WG and VIR are really thrilling. Have you considered Mid Ohio School. It was the best that I attended ( including Skippy at Laguna).

I'm not sure that a first-timer would necessary appreciate the intricacies of the "other" tracks. And the course at Autobahn is $1,000 cheaper than most of the other tracks, which is definitely a plus. And since my mom's always wanted to visit Chicago, it's almost perfect ... but then I keep thinking "Road America is only 3 hours away from Chicago ..."

Quick Reply: Skip Barber Revisited