Sponsored by:

Skip Barber Revisited

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2008, 12:13 AM
fuenfer
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by cviles
Skippy took over the Panoz program at Road Atlanta last year. Is that an option? I haven't followed their program, but I'd be surprised if they didn't offer a school there.

It's a great track with elevation changes, half the track has some fairly technical turns and a long back straight to build speed. Pretty much everything you could ask from a track.
I believe Road Atlanta is an option, but is there plenty of run-off room in the key areas? Even in my school at Laguna Seca (with some pretty big gravel traps), we had a couple of shunts with damage to the car, and I'd hate to see that happen to my dad.
Old 07-11-2008, 12:14 AM
fuenfer
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by mhm993
If your Dad is really new to all this stuff, do the mid ohio school. Lots of instruction from absolutely pro instructors, and many many hours on the track. Very affordable. It's challenging, but the accura's are oh, so forgiving.
Day one is mostly parking lot exercises, followed by a two hour DE. Day two they break up the track into thirds and drill the sections, then several hours of de. Day three is track walk and then open track for the balance.
Besides, Mid ohio is a really fun track--easy to figure out, but extremely challenging to drive really well.
I absolutely love Mid-Ohio (and especially "Madness"), but I'm not sure there's anything nearby to keep my mom interested whilst my dad does his 3-day school.
Old 07-11-2008, 12:16 AM
pedsurg
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

these are GOOD problems to have !!

Jack
Old 07-11-2008, 12:18 AM
fuenfer
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by DogInBlack
I did my 3 day at Laguna the same week last year and loved it. Open or MX5? Which are you going to do for your dad? The reason I ask- I'm not sure the 3day formula race school is a good call for someone with no track experience. First time on a track and first time in an open wheel is a steep learning curve and could be sensory overload. $.02

Yes, Skip is doing both Formula and MX5 at Road Atlanta.
I think it's going to be the open-wheel school - knowing my dad, I know he'll want to do the race school.
Old 07-11-2008, 12:19 AM
fuenfer
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by pedsurg
these are GOOD problems to have !!

Jack
Haha, I agree! There are so many splendidly good tracks out there, that I'm splitting hairs now in trying to decide. If worse comes to worse, I'm going to let my pocketbook dictate and go with Autobahn Country Club ... but gosh, my heart says "Road America," since I'll probably never, ever take my own 997S for a DE up there ...

BTW, I want to thank everyone for their input on this matter - I really appreciate your advice.
Old 07-11-2008, 12:58 AM
Dark Helmet
Instructor

Originally Posted by fuenfer
my heart says "Road America,"
then you've made your decision... this is your only choice.
Old 07-12-2008, 01:03 AM
fuenfer
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Dark Helmet
then you've made your decision... this is your only choice.
That's an extremely good point.

My one remaining question, then, is, does Skippy use the full Road America circuit for their three day racing school? I thought I read somewhere that they use a short course for some classes ...
Old 07-12-2008, 09:01 AM
Circuit Motorsports
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

They use the short course and that is a VERY good thing for the school. You'd lose half your day on the front straight and the straight between 3 and 5.

Autobahn is not the best course for open wheel cars. I know people who go out of there way to avoid racing their open wheel autobhan. The course if very hard on open wheel cars.
Old 07-12-2008, 11:00 AM
pedsurg
Three Wheelin'

Circuit: Will you be at the "south course" at VIR for the summer ??

Jack
Old 07-12-2008, 11:16 AM
DarkSideDE
Pro

Originally Posted by cviles
Skippy took over the Panoz program at Road Atlanta last year. Is that an option? I haven't followed their program, but I'd be surprised if they didn't offer a school there.

It's a great track with elevation changes, half the track has some fairly technical turns and a long back straight to build speed. Pretty much everything you could ask from a track.
For those of you who know Gordon King -- I had a wonderful conversation with him in May. He did the Skip Barber 2 or 3 day Racing School at Road Atlanta - and couldn't praise it enough. Here is a person who is an excellent driver and racer - and he was impressed by the professionalism of the school - and every instructor that was there was a pro racer. He even told me they were able to teach him new tricks out there.

And why wouldn't you want to start your dad off with a few DEs under his belt to learn how to handle a car in high speed conditions - and then move him on to a racing school?
Old 07-12-2008, 11:24 AM
pedsurg
Three Wheelin'

as a follow up to Dark's comment, the Bertil roos school is a five day program. The first three days are really learning the track, learning the car and learning to drive "fast". The "racing" part is actually on days 4 and 5. As students can do the first three or the second two (or all five) your father might be interested in just the first three days of this type of school.

Jack
Old 07-12-2008, 11:48 AM
Circuit Motorsports
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by pedsurg
Circuit: Will you be at the "south course" at VIR for the summer ??

Jack
I'm at VIR every day until Aug 10th working at Camp Motorsport. I'll usually be at the skid pad or the newly rebuilt dirt course by the kart track. At night we get to use the big courses for teaching after the daytime track rentals are done. We have a 'ride' car that is a two seat formula car and a couple of other things we get to run around with at night. I have the light blue mini with Wisconsin plates. Easiest way to find me is to go to the office at "the Gallery" and ask where we are.

--Joe
Old 07-15-2008, 11:40 PM
greg911
Intermediate

Why don't you just let your father drive your car at The Glen? Little blue accents would look great! Seriously, Lime Rock is close and looks good after the paving.
Old 07-16-2008, 01:34 AM
fuenfer
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by greg911
Why don't you just let your father drive your car at The Glen? Little blue accents would look great! Seriously, Lime Rock is close and looks good after the paving.
Hah, little blue accents!

Any chance you'll be going to the Poconos event this weekend with PDA? I was thinking about going - I hear there's still some room available - and taking my father with me, but it's so expensive!

Quick Reply: Skip Barber Revisited