Sponsored by:

Why Boxster's shouldn't lift for GT3's

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2008, 11:53 AM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 272 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by penguinking
calm down...i was making that statement in jest my feeling is just that when a cup car closes in on me at such fast speeds, its much easier to just get out of the way than back off the throttle and thereby have those closing speeds get that much quicker. of course i dont make it into a situation where were entering a turn 2-wide.
Thank you for the clarification, there are those reading here and running out there that have it in their head you have to "earn" the pass by beating them in the straightaway, completely missing the point that the moment I backed out of it so as not to RAM them in the corner entry-exit I lost all my momentum.. sore point with many of us.
Old 07-07-2008, 12:01 PM
Brian P
Rennlist Member

Received 29 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Gary R.
Thank you for the clarification, there are those reading here and running out there that have it in their head you have to "earn" the pass by beating them in the straightaway, completely missing the point that the moment I backed out of it so as not to RAM them in the corner entry-exit I lost all my momentum.. sore point with many of us.
I think it's really a question of timing... It used to be the case that if someone caught me, I'd lift immediately after the corner exit to help the car by. I don't do that as much anymore. If the car behind me obviously has less power, I'll consider lifting immediately, but I'm almost as likely to consider staying flat out and letting the other driver get by me using their faster exit speed. It really depends on the length of the following straight.

Similarly, if a high HP car is catching me, what's the point of lifting unless the following straight is really short? The car is going to pass me whether or not I lift. The only thing lifting does is mess up my momentum.

(By the way, if it's obvious that the car won't pass me without a lift from me, then yes, I'll lift - I agree that there's no point in denying the pass at a DE)
Old 07-07-2008, 12:09 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 272 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by Brian P
(By the way, if it's obvious that the car won't pass me without a lift from me, then yes, I'll lift - I agree that there's no point in denying the pass at a DE)
That sums it up nicely Brian..
Old 07-07-2008, 12:11 PM
Potomac-Greg
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by tkerrmd
I think a weakness with our "club" is there is only wimpy point by passing in straight line like the novice group in chin. the "instructors" who have never raced never really get to practice advanced driving skills and that video of one of "our own" demonstrates our clubs lack of skill in some areas.

I say let adults be adults and let us gain as much skill and experience on the track in different situations as possible.
Our club guys go from ridiculous passing zones to trying to race? makes no sense to me.

Dell, yes we are "trying" to come up to the Club race. Not such if I will do the race or the DE yet.
Based on that video, I'd say that running side-by-side with that "instructor) into or through a turn would be a lot more dangerous than being behind him. I don't think he lost it due to pressure from the "Boxster."

In the end, my view is that running door-to-door around turns is our ultimate goal; but by then we should be in cars with full roll cages, fire suppression and fire suits -- and most DE drivers are not.
Old 07-07-2008, 02:00 PM
RDL
Pro

Received 38 Likes on 12 Posts

Driving a pretty much stock 944s2 a typical DE session goes like this:
Put on Helmet
Proceed thru pit
Track out
Put arm out window and signal cars to pass
Keep arm out window and signal to pass
Keep foot on floor
and signal car to pass
Damn my arm gets tired
Old 07-07-2008, 02:25 PM
Potomac-Greg
Drifting

Originally Posted by RDL
Driving a pretty much stock 944s2 a typical DE session goes like this:
Put on Helmet
Proceed thru pit
Track out
Put arm out window and signal cars to pass
Keep arm out window and signal to pass
Keep foot on floor
and signal car to pass
Damn my arm gets tired

I had my car (944 n/a) tech inspected yesterday. They said "Blip the throttle. We want to see if it sticks open." I complied, but later asked how a stuck throttle could pose any risk in a 944 n/a. I doubt I would even know it was stuck!
Old 07-07-2008, 03:08 PM
JackOlsen
Race Car

Received 62 Likes on 48 Posts

I've driven them. Run over a piece of gum and you need to downshift.

Still, a very nicely balanced car.
Old 07-07-2008, 03:31 PM
Greg Smith
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by George A
So true!!!! The thing that really bugs me is when I go talk to them after the session, the typical comment I get is "You were guy in the black turbo". No, my car is not a turbo.....

G.
My favorite is when somebody says "I hope I wasn't holding you up" after a session. Nope, I just really liked looking at your bumper.
Old 07-07-2008, 04:23 PM
pat056
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I always use this rule of thumb:
In DE's, it's the responsibility of the car being passed to assure a safe pass (position on track, point by, allowing enough room, etc.).
In a race, it's the responsibility of the overtaking car.
Of course there's give and take on both sides and if you take this statement too literally, it can be bad, but I think this is a good guideline.
Old 07-07-2008, 04:38 PM
DJF1
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 65 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Greg Smith
My favorite is when somebody says "I hope I wasn't holding you up" after a session. Nope, I just really liked looking at your bumper.
LOL, had the same question asked as well recently and my response was " since I was not in your mirrors before and now I'm what do you think? "
What really sucks is people not lifting...there are always a few TT's that are pulling away on the straights only to slow you down on the twisty stuff. Too much ego?

BTW, I cant believe that this guy with a GT3 is an instructor!!! His lines were horrific and no wonder he almost stuffed it! Is he seriously an instructor?
Old 07-07-2008, 05:01 PM
Potomac-Greg
Drifting

Originally Posted by DJF1
LOL, had the same question asked as well recently and my response was " since I was not in your mirrors before and now I'm what do you think? "
What really sucks is people not lifting...there are always a few TT's that are pulling away on the straights only to slow you down on the twisty stuff. Too much ego?

BTW, I cant believe that this guy with a GT3 is an instructor!!! His lines were horrific and no wonder he almost stuffed it! Is he seriously an instructor?

I followed someone for a solid 3 laps at VIR, right on his tail through the turns, and only giving up about 3 or 4 car lengths on the straights; and he gave no point-by. In the paddock, he came up to me with a HUGE grin, gave me a big high-five and said something like, "Damn that was a good run. We were dead even!!!" I think that there are people who literally don't understand that they should give a point-by when their only way to stay ahead is by powering down the straights. It's not completely intuitive.
Old 07-07-2008, 05:05 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Potomac-Greg
I followed someone for a solid 3 laps at VIR, right on his tail through the turns, and only giving up about 3 or 4 car lengths on the straights; and he gave no point-by. In the paddock, he came up to me with a HUGE grin, gave me a big high-five and said something like, "Damn that was a good run. We were dead even!!!" I think that there are people who literally don't understand that they should give a point-by when their only way to stay ahead is by powering down the straights. It's not completely intuitive.
I feel for ya! I get the same crap from the Z06 crowd. Out brake them, eat them up in the twisties, having to lift in the esses so you don't rear-end them, then they stomp on the gas down the straights! I've only met 1 or 2 vette guys that really weren't your typical vette guys on the track. One of them, Jody, posts here from time to time and has NEVER held me up and I have had a blast running with him.
Old 07-07-2008, 06:56 PM
ddubois
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by LVDell
I feel for ya! I get the same crap from the Z06 crowd. Out brake them, eat them up in the twisties, having to lift in the esses so you don't rear-end them, then they stomp on the gas down the straights! I've only met 1 or 2 vette guys that really weren't your typical vette guys on the track. One of them, Jody, posts here from time to time and has NEVER held me up and I have had a blast running with him.
Originally Posted by Potomac-Greg
So why follow someone doing this for several laps? I often will roll through the hot pit and end up with open track for myself.
Old 07-07-2008, 07:56 PM
mjb
Rennlist Member

Instructor group...yikes! What was that GT3 driver thinking. Pass was executed comfortably before the corner/turn-in (as far as I can tell) and takes some, uhhh, interesting lines in the next couple of corners. Maybe it was a would be instructor in the passenger seat being quizzed for his instructor cert...Teaching Instructor(best Chuck Yeager voice): "now, I'm the student - tell me what I'm doing wrong here"..GT3 shooting off the track as armco fast approaches.
Old 07-07-2008, 08:26 PM
genikz
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by JackOlsen
Run over a piece of gum and you need to downshift.

Quick Reply: Why Boxster's shouldn't lift for GT3's