Sponsored by:

Top End Rebuild at High Marques in Morristown, NJNJ

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2008, 12:48 PM
Mike S.
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Top End Rebuild at High Marques in Morristown, NJNJ

An '83 SC I'm looking at had a top end rebuild at this place in 2002. This job included replacing several broken head studs that had to be machined out of the case. This was about 30K miles ago . Is this a quality shop with a good reputation for this kind of top end work? Feel free to PM me if you'd prefer.

Thanks,

Mike
Old 07-03-2008, 03:19 PM
Minoclan
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

This shop is no longer in business. The head mechanic passed away a few weeks ago. PM me and I will put you in touch with the former owner. He is a good honest guy. He will tell you what he knows.
Old 07-03-2008, 05:13 PM
Al P.
Pro

Originally Posted by Minoclan
This shop is no longer in business. The head mechanic passed away a few weeks ago. PM me and I will put you in touch with the former owner. He is a good honest guy. He will tell you what he knows.

High Marques is not out of business. John Voght sells high end cars upstairs and rents out the shop space down stairs to a repair shop and while it is possible that the current tennent has passed away (although I haven't heard) several shops have used that space over the past few years. Bull can give you better details
Old 07-03-2008, 06:38 PM
Minoclan
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Al P.
High Marques is not out of business. John Voght sells high end cars upstairs and rents out the shop space down stairs to a repair shop and while it is possible that the current tennent has passed away (although I haven't heard) several shops have used that space over the past few years. Bull can give you better details
I beg to differ. The "shop" that did the job in 2002 is no longer in business. It was called High Marques Motor Werks. It was a tenant in the downstairs space. When Tommy Shive left it then became Elite Motorwerks, and was then owned by three individuals who were the mechanics (one of whom passed away a few weeks ago). Elite then dissolved and vacated the premises. High Marques Motor Cars, the used car SALES shop, still does exist upstairs. Last I checked the salesmen upstairs do not do repairs, nor have they ever. I also dont need Bull to fill in the blanks.

The tenant in the space now is Shade Tree Garage which recently moved in from the other side of Morristown.

Last edited by Minoclan; 07-04-2008 at 10:37 AM.
Old 07-03-2008, 07:03 PM
EMW
4th Gear

Al P, Minoclan, Mike S,
As a employee of High Marques Motor Werks, Owner of Elite Motor Werks I can give you some insight to this scenario. Minoclan is correct High Marques Motorwerks is NO LONGER in business in the state of NJ as that company (it may have been dragged thru to another state but not in NJ) This job was done in High Marques Motorwerks, in 2002 it is unclear to me who did the work. If it was done by my former partner (who has passed away) did the upper end work I have great faith in his ability as he was a factory Unit repair technician (this means the guy who under older dealership ways of doing business got the most expensive and complete level of training of almost anyone @ the dealership) Most of the people on this list will scoff @ the idea of a factory tech being well trained, but believe me that when I tell you this guy has forgotten more than most people learn I am not kidding you. Anyway to the point Minoclan is correct and the car should be in good shape Mike S if you have any questions feel free to PM and let me know what your questions are as I have potentially laid eyes on this car and can recall history on it.

Colin Miller
Old 07-03-2008, 07:08 PM
Bull
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Edit: Hi Colin. Didn't see your post prior to posting below:

Anyway, the shop that rented space from High Marques Motor Cars in 2002 is long out of business. As reported above, there have been two other shops as tenants since then. The current tenant, Shade Tree Garage, is excellent and will be there for the long term, as they were in there previous location for 30years (I wrote and negotiated the lease).

I suspect that the work done 6 years and 30k miles ago was fairly sound if the engine passes a PPI now.
Old 07-03-2008, 09:20 PM
Mike S.
Pro

Thanks all for the helpful info. I am still waiting to get a copy off the receipt for the work done.

Originally Posted by Bull
I suspect that the work done 6 years and 30k miles ago was fairly sound if the engine passes a PPI now.
Bull/Bob W.,

What were you thinking re engine PPI?

Would you then be recommending a leakdown test? My initial thought was that if I rec'd very positive feedback on who did the work and I found out from the receipt that job was properly done/thorough (all studs replaced in steel, etc...). I should be all set. In essence, if I heard that the mechanic was the Dan Jacobs of NE NJ, I'd likely get real comfortable. Especially so I get essentially no smoke on startup from a cold start with the car sitting several days (after a hot run) + I hear that oil consumption is decent (1 qt every 3000 miles). I know the later is really hard to determine or put my faith in unless the seller is honest, observant, and fastidious.

TIA for any advice!

Mike
Old 07-03-2008, 09:28 PM
Mike S.
Pro

Originally Posted by EMW
Al P, Minoclan, Mike S,
Anyway to the point Minoclan is correct and the car should be in good shape Mike S if you have any questions feel free to PM and let me know what your questions are as I have potentially laid eyes on this car and can recall history on it.

Colin Miller
PM sent Colin...I would appreciate speaking with you!

Mike
Old 07-03-2008, 09:54 PM
Bull
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike S.
Thanks all for the helpful info. I am still waiting to get a copy off the receipt for the work done.

Bull/Bob W.,

What were you thinking re engine PPI?

Would you then be recommending a leakdown test? My initial thought was that if I rec'd very positive feedback on who did the work and I found out from the receipt that job was properly done/thorough (all studs replaced in steel, etc...). I should be all set. In essence, if I heard that the mechanic was the Dan Jacobs of NE NJ, I'd likely get real comfortable. Especially so I get essentially no smoke on startup from a cold start with the car sitting several days (after a hot run) + I hear that oil consumption is decent (1 qt every 3000 miles). I know the later is really hard to determine or put my faith in unless the seller is honest, observant, and fastidious.

TIA for any advice!

Mike
I would never buy a used Porsche that had engine work done 6 years ago and 30k miles without a compression and leak-down test (or any used Porsche). I am in the process of buying a Porsche from a known good guy who is meticulous and very current with the servicing of the car. He has receipts back to 1996 (a '93 model) and we both expected great results. But, he was happy that I was getting a FULL PPI because he didn't want to sell me an unknown problem. Get a PPI.
Old 07-04-2008, 12:03 AM
Mike S.
Pro

Bull...thanks for the sage advice. I will add a compression and leakdown to the professional PPI. If something negative is found, we can dicker on a price adjustment or I can walk away.

Mike

Quick Reply: Top End Rebuild at High Marques in Morristown, NJNJ