Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2008, 05:49 PM
JPS
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Traqmate, MaxQData...?

Scenario:
Mostly stock 993, 70+ DE days, not club racing, no plans to anytime soon ($, time, no space for trailer and such while living in Manhattan). Love learning and seek coaching most if not all weekends (but of course not all runs). I'm not a track rat going every weekend as I have a 21 month old at home, but I really like the idea of black & white data to learn a bit more beyond just a lap time.

I have UltraLap now, which is cool, but doesn't really tell you if you are coasting, sitting on the brake too early, etc. I know you can go apesh!t with stuff and get steering position, individual wheel speed, spring loading, etc. I get that and respect that, but I certainly don't need it.

What I would like to do, beyond just laptimes, is have a GPS / non-transmitter solution that will tell me sector times, show me when/where I'm putting on the gas & brake, perhaps to some degree how hard (i.e., when can I quit wimping out and really get on the throttle), entry & exit speed (ideally).

I've been looking at Traqmate and MaxQData, though open to G2X as well. If was going to spend $1k for certain, I'd just do Traqmate probably as I see more of those in DE vs. the G2X...doesn't seem to be any others at the $1k price point.

However, if I could do $500 and it will do what I want, all the better. So finally my Q: Have people used 1 or 2 or all 3 of the above, and which will do what I want? I've done a search, and I've looked at the websites, but I'm having troubles sorting through it all to net out at what I should get.
Old 07-02-2008, 05:53 PM
MarkSchu
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Traqmate software is much easier to use than G2X, IMO. Can't comment on Max Qdata.
Old 07-02-2008, 06:17 PM
RonCT
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Do a search on TraqMate here at RL and I think you'll get a bunch of opinions on the system. I looked at all of them and ended up buying TM. Easy to use, easy to install (and remove in 5 minutes), nice software that's constantly being updated and upgraded, integration with video for visual and data analysis (ahh, that's why I hit the brakes early on what could have been my quickest lap ever), etc.
Old 07-02-2008, 07:02 PM
Tom W
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Jos: I used the Traqmate for a year and liked it. Reasonably priced and very easy to use. It would likely help you improve. (You need to come back to CA once in a while too.) One thing to consider is what your track buddies use. If you use the same system, you can easily compare data (you are not likely to have to many others drive your car to get the comparative data that way).
Old 07-02-2008, 07:11 PM
JPS
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Hey Tom, how's it going? Turtle looking good...
Old 07-02-2008, 08:02 PM
kary993
Drifting

really regardless of what you could get out of any of these systems try and get one that others you drive with also use. It is more valuable to share track lap files and compare. I personally like the G2X for it abilities to create channels and add sensors fairly easily. Your mileage may vary though.
Old 07-02-2008, 09:39 PM
George3
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

Does anyone have anything good or bad to say about the five hundred dollar: Starlane Athon GPS 3 ?
Attached Images  
Old 07-02-2008, 09:47 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 272 Likes on 166 Posts

I think it's pretty, are those shift lights on top or is it just glad to see you?
Old 07-02-2008, 09:53 PM
George3
Rennlist Member

Both
Old 07-02-2008, 11:00 PM
Giacomo
Pro

I agree with the comments in regards to the usefullness and fun of sharing lap data with others using the same system and one sees more and more traqmates at every event. I currently have a maxqdata, courtesy of Gary R and his new AIM. One benefit of the maxqdata setup is being able to analyze quickly on the pocket PC, although the small screen makes it suitable only for short stetches. If you plan to sit down for serious data analysis you need the bigger screen of a notebook. With Maxq you can also switch it up from one car to another with literally just a couple of strips of velcro. If you already have a pocket pc it is tough to beat the value for $$. I have also used it to measure fields and while flying for altitude backup, ground speed and coordinates in case I get lost.

Having now sung the praises of maxq, at a recent club race the gentleman in the adjacent garage used traqmate and the software looked really effective and easy to use. Now he had full race support and was able to just get out of the car and sit with his notebook but the software looked much more robust.

For those considering lap timers, I would definitely jump up to maxq. If you want to spend more time on analysis, traqmate looks like a good option although be prepared to spend more than $1k if you want a professional installation and engine info.
Old 07-04-2008, 10:32 AM
Brian S
Rennlist Member

Does the basic traqmate for $700 without the lap timing mechanism keep track of lap times, and you just can't see them until you load the software? I think most of us have the chrono anyway, so seeing the lap in real time isn't that important.. Just remembering lap #4 was strapped, and being able to go back to it would be nice without spending the extra $300.
Old 07-04-2008, 10:43 AM
Mikelly
Rennlist Member

Received 156 Likes on 71 Posts

For the last two days I've been using a Traqmate "complete" system while at VIR with Chin. I'm still sorting thru the software tools and functions, but having the controller with the lap counter in the car can be distracting. I actually quit looking at it to see what the times were...

You could get by with the traqmate basic. All you would need is your laptop and software to pull the data from the box.

I must admit it's nice to get real times, and confirm speed and braking, as well as cutting a fastest lap up (My best was a 2:10:49 this whole two days) to see where I'm doing "what" and "when".

So far it was worth the money, but I got it on a GREAT deal from 930Man!

Thanks again MATT!!
Mike
Old 07-04-2008, 11:10 AM
George3
Rennlist Member

What did 930Man replace his old Traqmate with ???

Originally Posted by Mikelly
For the last two days I've been using a Traqmate "complete" system while at VIR with Chin. I'm still sorting thru the software tools and functions, but having the controller with the lap counter in the car can be distracting. I actually quit looking at it to see what the times were...

You could get by with the traqmate basic. All you would need is your laptop and software to pull the data from the box.

I must admit it's nice to get real times, and confirm speed and braking, as well as cutting a fastest lap up (My best was a 2:10:49 this whole two days) to see where I'm doing "what" and "when".

So far it was worth the money, but I got it on a GREAT deal from 930Man!

Thanks again MATT!!
Mike
Old 07-04-2008, 12:00 PM
Mikelly
Rennlist Member

Received 156 Likes on 71 Posts

He still has a traqmate. He bought this one to use at the last event because he left his display at home... He then offered it to me after that event.

Mike
Old 07-04-2008, 01:03 PM
Giacomo
Pro

The value of the display, whatever unit you choose, is in qualifying. Run the lap you want and then come in, thereby saving the brakes and tires for the race.

If you spend too much time looking at the display while driving you are just asking for trouble, big trouble. The GPS units can give you a running lap time, which is the lap time since you were last at that point in the track. It is like passing an infinite number of beacons. While a cool feature, if it is distracting you from your driving, better to just download the data after the run.

Quick Reply: Traqmate, MaxQData...?