Old 07-01-2008 | 01:34 AM
eugene
Racer

Mr. Bull is right.

eugene.
Old 07-01-2008 | 01:38 AM
mhm993
Rennlist Member

Jeez--this has happened more than once in recent months??????
Old 07-01-2008 | 09:17 AM
gums
Rennlist Member

I hate to differ (again), and all are entitled to their views, but frankly; I really would like to know what happened there and the outcome. I'm waiting for someone who knows to say something.
Old 07-01-2008 | 09:21 AM
Bull
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by wilhelm
I don't understand why it isn't ok to talk about this incident. I was at a DE last year at Pocono North and saw the same mistake, someone went the wrong way. Luckily there was no accident, but I was amazed at seeing this. Now we know that this mistake has happened 2x in one year we should discuss how to prevent this from happening.
Excellent idea wilhelm. Discussing how to prevent the situation from happening on this forum would be an excellent discussion. There are many people, in organizations that have the authority to implement changes, do that right now.

Asking for details of the damage, looking for pictures, discussing the condition of the individuals involved (beyond hearing that they will be OK), etc.......and suggesting that drugs might have been involved , all have nothing to do with a discussion about prevention.
Old 07-01-2008 | 09:32 AM
Bull
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by gums
I hate to differ (again), and all are entitled to their views, but frankly; I really would like to know what happened there and the outcome. I'm waiting for someone who knows to say something.
OK (already reported above), a driver was able to, and did, enter a hot track in the opposite direction from the direction being utilized by a DE. That did not work out well, as one might suspect.
Old 07-01-2008 | 09:45 AM
Brian P
Rennlist Member

I think a giant "One Way" and a "Do Not Enter" (or "Wrong Way") set of signs may be helpful.
Old 07-01-2008 | 09:59 AM
SundayDriver
Lifetime Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Bull
Excellent idea wilhelm. Discussing how to prevent the situation from happening on this forum would be an excellent discussion. There are many people, in organizations that have the authority to implement changes, do that right now.

Asking for details of the damage, looking for pictures, discussing the condition of the individuals involved (beyond hearing that they will be OK), etc.......and suggesting that drugs might have been involved , all have nothing to do with a discussion about prevention.
Bob,

I agree. The fact is that for us to be able to continue to go out on the track, after seeing an injury or death, we need to do everything we can to put that out of our minds when on the track. We can not drive and think about those consequences at the same time. So "human nature" demands that we try to look at such an incident and rationalize why it is different than what we do and therefore can not really happen to us (on an emotional basis - we KNOW it can happen on an intellectual basis). We are, in most cases, digging for the reason to discount the incident as indicative of the real danger of what we do.

The only good that comes out of analysis is to try to learn what to do differently next time to avoid such an incident, and we really don't need much in the way of details.

I think that everyone who has been around this sport for very long and has been at the track with deaths and serious injury understands the mind games they play to 'pretend' the situation was different for the victim and 'it can't happen to me'. Without that mechanism, you can't go out and go fast.
Old 07-01-2008 | 10:13 AM
Paul 996
Rennlist Member

Looking at the aerial photo and understanding that it is not a photo of the day in question. However, it looks simple enough to just extend the blend line of cones from the hot pits beyond the Pit Exit coming from the right. This way a driver leaving the pits to enter the track is led directly to the entrance and would literally have to double back making a uturn to enter the track from the wrong direction.

This setup would still allow cars returning from the hot track to either go into the pits or continue on back onto the track if that were their intention and keep cars entering/exiting separate.

Particularly if this has occurred in the past.
Old 07-01-2008 | 10:14 AM
Ritter v4.0
Rennlist Member

Perhaps some of those one way wheels spikes like you have at some parking lots for pit in and pit out are in order.
Old 07-01-2008 | 10:19 AM
gums
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by SundayDriver
Bob,
I agree. The fact is that for us to be able to continue to go out on the track, after seeing an injury or death, we need to do everything we can to put that out of our minds when on the track. The only good that comes out of analysis is to try to learn what to do differently next time to avoid such an incident, and we really don't need much in the way of details.
Without that mechanism, you can't go out and go fast.
Well said, Mark, and for those reasons I study incidents, and read all the books, and want to know what happened and what's been done about it, and how to avoid it. I once suffered a really bad cycling accident in which I was knocked out and badly injured and what bothers me is that I'm not really sure what happened and so don't know really how to avoid it again.
Now, on this one, we know that a guy went in the wrong direction, which is a bit bizarre, but should be easy enough to prevent.
Old 07-01-2008 | 10:23 AM
George3
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Ritter
Perhaps some of those one way wheels spikes like you have at some parking lots for pit in and pit out are in order.
Clearly, that's not a feasible alternative. Particularly when track configurations and direction changes are made.

Old 07-01-2008 | 10:25 AM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Paul 996
Looking at the aerial photo and understanding that it is not a photo of the day in question. However, it looks simple enough to just extend the blend line of cones from the hot pits beyond the Pit Exit coming from the right. This way a driver leaving the pits to enter the track is led directly to the entrance and would literally have to double back making a uturn to enter the track from the wrong direction.

This setup would still allow cars returning from the hot track to either go into the pits or continue on back onto the track if that were their intention and keep cars entering/exiting separate.

Particularly if this has occurred in the past.
I've only been there (North Course) once but that is close to what NY Metro did. They did staging in two steps actually. Step one lined everyone up pretty much where the graphic shows 10 minutes early. When the checker flew they moved the line up about 250 feet. There were cones lining the entire path as I remember. No way anyone would get confused about direction...
Old 07-01-2008 | 11:35 AM
Brian P
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Gary R.
No way anyone would get confused about direction...
From the multitudes of events I've done there, I think I would have said the same on the Thursday before the event. There is absolutely NOTHING before this accident that would have made me think that it was a possibility for someone to enter the track in the wrong direction.

Of course, hindsight is 20/20, and I'm sure that we can collectively find some ways to dramatically decrease the likelihood of this occurring again.

For example, perhaps a separate pit-in entrance could be made using one of the access roads. Then, the right hand entrance to the infield could be completely blocked off with cones.
Old 07-01-2008 | 12:54 PM
Bull
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Gary R.
.................. No way anyone would get confused about direction...
Originally Posted by Brian P
From the multitudes of events I've done there, I think I would have said the same on the Thursday before the event. There is absolutely NOTHING before this accident that would have made me think that it was a possibility for someone to enter the track in the wrong direction.

Exactly. Post incident discussions with the Flag Marshall and team, etc. had them all saying the same thing as the two statements above. Obviously, nobody said to themselves "somebody might be confused about direction, but probably won't". In this case, there was a "way".
Old 07-01-2008 | 01:29 PM
Minoclan
Rennlist Member

Maybe it is time to shut this thread down and pick up "Track Safety" in a new thread.

The driver that was hurt more seriously is home and resting. Enough said.

Quick Reply: Any info on incident at Pocono DE event on Friday 6/27