Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Any info on incident at Pocono DE event on Friday 6/27

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2008 | 03:33 PM
Hoosier_Daddy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Potomac-Greg
I think the point was that you prepare for all eventualities, but no system is failsafe.
Precisely...
Old 06-30-2008 | 05:34 PM
Paul 996
Rennlist Member

Dead of winter?
The week of Oct 8th 2007 is hard dead of anything in the Mid-Atlantic. I don't even make a move for the snow tires until Thanksgiving weekend.

Originally Posted by Potomac-Greg
Yes, it was a textbook example of trying to save a few bucks. It was repaved in the dead of winter (when most people know better than to pave), right over the broken pavement/concrete. It held up for about 5 months. I hear that they're putting patches and sealer down, but that sealer gets very slick when wet. It's probably not worse than it was before, but it's getting there. They also did a ****-poor job grading the run-off areas, so there are some nasty drop-offs to deal with.

Everyone's jealous of the lucky ones who set record lap times during the few months when the track was smooth and grippy!

Last edited by Paul 996; 06-30-2008 at 05:53 PM.
Old 06-30-2008 | 06:14 PM
Potomac-Greg
Drifting

Originally Posted by Paul 996
Dead of winter?
The week of Oct 8th 2007 is hard dead of anything in the Mid-Atlantic. I don't even make a move for the snow tires until Thanksgiving weekend.
I had forgotten the exact date of the repave. I know it was cold. (I don't do snow tires until I see the white stuff!)
Old 06-30-2008 | 06:18 PM
bobt993
Rennlist Member

Greg, it actually was not too cold as I instructed the first weekend it was used at the NASA race. The real issue was time. They had FATT run the track (Friday at the track) and I think they stopped paving Weds/Thursday, so not much cure time.
Old 06-30-2008 | 06:21 PM
Potomac-Greg
Drifting

Originally Posted by bobt993
Greg, it actually was not too cold as I instructed the first weekend it was used at the NASA race. The real issue was time. They had FATT run the track (Friday at the track) and I think they stopped paving Weds/Thursday, so not much cure time.
Maybe it was too HOT to pave! I'm getting to old to use the internets.
Old 06-30-2008 | 06:52 PM
Paul 996
Rennlist Member

Bingo! therein was the real prob.

Greg, just in case notice the big in my reply.

Originally Posted by bobt993
Old 06-30-2008 | 07:11 PM
bobt993
Rennlist Member

Greg, you gotta love the internet grapevine. Look at how this thread wandered: Pocono incident, what course, what direction, track is bumpy, no, North course is not so bumpy, South course is bumpy, IMSA course, Full course, Summit is bumpy, why? weather? time? LOL!
Old 06-30-2008 | 08:56 PM
wch
Rennlist Member

The lack of any official or informed comment on the incident and consequences assures that speculation will continue. I heard about this incident third hand, basically: "car went the wrong way out of the pits, head on collision, a fatality." That's the sort of info we'll have until someone steps forward with accurate information.

Perhaps everyone is busy meeting with lawyers ....

Very sad to see this happen to a great organization like NNJR.
Old 06-30-2008 | 09:07 PM
sparks259
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

to all-----
listen to bull, the big man, he knows from what he speaks.
also having been there, i will respecfuly reserve comment from a public forum.
let's just say that it was a mental error that resulted in dire consequenses and fortunatly, to the best of my knowedge, all involved should recover.
to all those newbies out there, your lesson of the day: before you go out on track, and sitting in the pits, take a minute of "quiet time" to think about what you are doing and how you are going to do it.
be safe.
Old 06-30-2008 | 09:11 PM
Bull
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Paul 996
Dead of winter?
Yep...more Internet "facts" being reported! Missed the digging up of the concrete patches the second time too. "The repave has not worked" would be enough.
Old 06-30-2008 | 09:34 PM
Bull
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by wch
The lack of any official or informed comment on the incident and consequences assures that speculation will continue. I heard about this incident third hand, basically: "car went the wrong way out of the pits, head on collision, a fatality." That's the sort of info we'll have until someone steps forward with accurate information.

(not directed at wch)

Actually, I hope nobody "steps forward with accurate information". First of all, it is not the business of anyone here. And please don't give me the "we all learn from getting the information" crap (nice excuse for morbid curiosity though), as you never get all of the accurate information. Forming opinions is hardly learning! Second, there is nobody who knows all of the "accurate information". No, not even those involved, as they may have memory loss and never saw the entire incident unfold. The only advice that comes to mind is "nothing to see here, please move on".

Sorry for the rant, but this kind of thing really bothers me.
Old 07-01-2008 | 12:43 AM
F350Lawman
Racer

Originally Posted by Bull
(not directed at wch)

Actually, I hope nobody "steps forward with accurate information". First of all, it is not the business of anyone here. And please don't give me the "we all learn from getting the information" crap (nice excuse for morbid curiosity though), as you never get all of the accurate information. Forming opinions is hardly learning! Second, there is nobody who knows all of the "accurate information". No, not even those involved, as they may have memory loss and never saw the entire incident unfold. The only advice that comes to mind is "nothing to see here, please move on".

Sorry for the rant, but this kind of thing really bothers me.

From what has been reported we can all make a pretty good guess at what transpired, I don't need the details personally. I hope everyones OK and if they want to share their story someday, so be it.

I don't however, have any problem with those posters who want to know more. As far as it being nobody's business, it sounds like we're discussing something forbidden , immoral or illegal. It's an accident no more or no less, no matter where it occured. It's not like with the severity as described here, insurance companies, medical plans, local PD, etc., are going to be in the dark.

I feel like I'm in Fight Club???
Old 07-01-2008 | 12:57 AM
mhm993
Rennlist Member

First rule of fight club.....there is no fight club....
Old 07-01-2008 | 01:09 AM
F350Lawman
Racer

OOops...
Old 07-01-2008 | 01:11 AM
wilhelm
Advanced

I don't understand why it isn't ok to talk about this incident. I was at a DE last year at Pocono North and saw the same mistake, someone went the wrong way. Luckily there was no accident, but I was amazed at seeing this. Now we know that this mistake has happened 2x in one year we should discuss how to prevent this from happening.

Quick Reply: Any info on incident at Pocono DE event on Friday 6/27