Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

First DE with 997 GT3 - Watkins Glen

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2008, 11:43 AM
RonCT
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I've driven the 996 GT3 on the street several times (different levels of mods) and I don't perceive the 6 vs. 7 as being more or less visceral, just different. I do agree that it is probable that the 7 GT3 instills a greater sense of comfort / confidence at speed as it is the next generation platform. I felt incredible confidence (read this as not over-confidence, just a great feeling of surety) in the 7 on the track and at high speed (ie: Flat in most parts of the Esses, though I was easing at certain transition points) - more sense of being settled than in the 997S for sure.

Stock GT3 seats, which with the Alcantera felt more grippy than the same seats I had in the 997S but in all leather. I am looking into the roll bar and seat options (perhaps the new GT2 ones for the airbag for street driving, but $5950 shipped for a pair in cloth is expensive). I have my 2nd helmet and Hans ready for when I can get the bar installed.

No lap times recorded on purpose (left the TraqMate in the bag). I'm sure that I was quicker than last month in the 997S, where I was at 2:16 with a TBL of 2:13. Can't really guess as it was my first event with the new car, but maybe 2:14?
Old 06-26-2008, 11:43 AM
997gt3north
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by RonCT
Forgot to mention some efficiency information... 300 miles there averaged 26.4 MPG, 300 miles home averaged 28.1 MPG, 410 track miles and to/from the track averaged 10 MPG. I was shocked - the GT3 burned less fuel all around than the 997S did while driving the same speed to/from but faster on track. I always found better economy on the way home and never really knew why. Engine operating more efficiently after being pushed, more down-hill going from WGI to CT vs. the other way around, combination, etc.?
Ron,

Nice write up.
I was squirming just thinking about your uphill near tank slapper.

Next time you go to the glen, try adjusting your rear wing up to the max attack angle and see how it feels - it may not be faster (I think it is) but it sure does feel way, way better in the transition at the top of the esses. That section alone allows me to go foot to the floor at least 100ft earlier - at the end of the curbing on the right before the transition to the left versus full throttle at the apex without the wing up. With the wing in the stock position as seen in your photo I found that the rear of the car would start to slide very uncomfortably towards the armco on the right at the top of the hill.

Hope to see you there in October

Last edited by 997gt3north; 06-26-2008 at 12:19 PM.
Old 06-26-2008, 02:36 PM
sechsgang
Rennlist Member

Received 1,028 Likes on 480 Posts

I've driven the 996 GT3 on the street several times (different levels of mods) and I don't perceive the 6 vs. 7 as being more or less visceral, just different. I do agree that it is probable that the 7 GT3 instills a greater sense of comfort / confidence at speed as it is the next generation platform. I felt incredible confidence (read this as not over-confidence, just a great feeling of surety) in the 7 on the track and at high speed (ie: Flat in most parts of the Esses, though I was easing at certain transition points) - more sense of being settled than in the 997S for sure.

Stock GT3 seats, which with the Alcantera felt more grippy than the same seats I had in the 997S but in all leather. I am looking into the roll bar and seat options (perhaps the new GT2 ones for the airbag for street driving, but $5950 shipped for a pair in cloth is expensive). I have my 2nd helmet and Hans ready for when I can get the bar installed.

No lap times recorded on purpose (left the TraqMate in the bag). I'm sure that I was quicker than last month in the 997S, where I was at 2:16 with a TBL of 2:13. Can't really guess as it was my first event with the new car, but maybe 2:14?
I think the nervousness/raw that Im talking about in the 6 3 is comperable to the extra solidity that you feel with the 7. I think a big part is just that you have a wider track and a bit more weight...my tt felt a ton more stable than my gt3 for a same reasons (ok...and a little help from the front wheels). Maybe we can compare sometime if you go back to the glen or at limerock...
Old 06-26-2008, 11:23 PM
davidf1
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We had a great time at Zone 1 and Larry ( rebecca's larry) and I has a fantastic 40 minute session in our 6 GT3's. Sorry I missed you at the CVR event as I couldn't stay. I agree with an earlier post. I run the rear wing with the 4 degree shims and I'm very comfortable (althought not flat out quite yet) through the esses.

I'm very happy about your new addition. Welcome to the 6/7 club.

david
Old 06-27-2008, 12:22 AM
smsarchitects
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

fantastic write-up.
I was disappointed to have had to cancel the CVR event.
I did do two days last week in my "new to me" 996 GT3 though with the BMW club. What a BLAST!

so, with all this GT3 wing shim talk ("max attack angle" love that) , where does one buy them?
Old 06-27-2008, 01:43 AM
Crazy Canuck
Race Director

Received 218 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by smsarchitects
fantastic write-up.
I did do two days last week in my "new to me" 996 GT3 though with the BMW club. What a BLAST!

so, with all this GT3 wing shim talk ("max attack angle" love that) , where does one buy them?
Shims are available at any dealer. Mine happened to come from Sunset with a bunch of other goodies.
Old 06-27-2008, 08:24 AM
Qwickrick
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

You can also get them at TRG
Old 06-27-2008, 10:16 AM
Sean F
NASA Racer
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by smsarchitects
fantastic write-up.

There's a whole new world of stuff you'll "need" to buy with your new car
Old 06-28-2008, 12:07 AM
BostonDMD
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

With all this GT3 talk maybe I should get one.......
Old 06-28-2008, 12:39 PM
roberga
Nordschleife Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by BostonDMD
With all this GT3 talk maybe I should get one.......
Both 996 and 7 ar great cars. A friend of mine has a 964 with a 3.8 montor motor. Great DE/racecar. I wanted to buy it for a couple of years. He keeps telling me that his car can not get better and mine faster is still street legal . By the way, he just bought a GT3 cup. I still love the 964 but he is right
Old 07-01-2008, 10:32 PM
Ritesh
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Congrats!! I figured you would take the plunge and get a GT3 since you are addicted to tracking cars.
Old 07-01-2008, 11:03 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 290 Likes on 172 Posts

Looking forward to Ron finally beating me and taking the DE checker!
Old 07-02-2008, 07:02 AM
RonCT
Rennlist Member

Uh Oh - sounds like a challenge... or maybe another one of your subtle encouragements to take up racing
Old 07-02-2008, 09:40 AM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 290 Likes on 172 Posts

Uh Oh - sounds like a challenge... or maybe another one of your subtle encouragements to take up racing
Me, subtle?
Old 07-02-2008, 09:46 AM
RonCT
Rennlist Member

Soon enough - one more year of high school for my youngest...

Quick Reply: First DE with 997 GT3 - Watkins Glen