Anyone going to the ALMS race at Lime Rock

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2008, 07:35 PM
Bull
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Gary R.
Sorry Bull, but just like driving on concrete doesn't mean someone knows spit about designing, producing, testing, and performance of the product, the same goes for bitumen based pavements. Let's see if O&G Industries, the producer of the pavement, has a clue.. Am I saying the pavement won't be flying into the grass outside of Big Bend? Nope.. I have no prediction either way..
Don't be "sorry", you grasped my point exactly! All we have is experience with other quick pave - immediately raced upon pavements. This could well be the first successful one!
Old 07-03-2008, 08:17 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 271 Likes on 165 Posts

This wasn't a quick scarification and thintopping, though I understand what you are saying (Summit is a prime example of how NOT to do it). It looks to me that the only "repave" was in areas that had a solid sub-base, i.e. the main straight and the bulk of no-name. I wasn't there and can only go by pictures but it seems that sub-grade work was done at the end of the main straight through big bend, the end of no-name through the uphill, all of west bend and the downhill. The most important part of ANY pavement, whether it be concrete or asphalt, is the sub-grade. Mr. Barber has mentioned that very fact, though slightly clouded in rhetoric, in past releases. I'll add that even IF they ripped up the whole track and put the most pristine subgrade material in there available it still would be no guarantee of future stability. IMHO the whole place needs a redesign of slope and drainage as a first step, THEN worry about the track surface... but no one asked me..
Old 07-03-2008, 08:34 PM
Bull
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

That makes two of us!
Old 07-06-2008, 10:58 AM
Alan G.
Pro

Default Good News

NOAA thinks that the Monsoon Season may be gone by Friday.
Old 07-06-2008, 11:06 AM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 271 Likes on 165 Posts

Originally Posted by Alan Goettel
NOAA thinks that the Monsoon Season may be gone by Friday.
Looks good to me!
Attached Images  
Old 07-06-2008, 11:07 AM
ew928
Owns the Streets
Needs Camber
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

IMHO the whole place needs a redesign of slope and drainage as a first step, THEN worry about the track surface... but no one asked me..

Never thought about drainage at LR till a few years ago when the bathrooms were closed after it had rained buckets the days before.
Nothing like capturing all that water from the hill and putting it on the run-off area for the left hander.
The mini-lake did make all the racers very very tepid going through turn 2. Has anyone ever tried racing slicks on that surface water.

I thought I saw a picture of tunneling just after turn 2. Maybe it was wishful thinking that they sunk drainage pipes to take that water away from the inside run-off area.
Old 07-06-2008, 12:46 PM
Alan G.
Pro

Default Remember the huricane Club Race?

This wasn't a quick scarification and thintopping, though I understand what you are saying (Summit is a prime example of how NOT to do it). It looks to me that the only "repave" was in areas that had a solid sub-base, i.e. the main straight and the bulk of no-name. I wasn't there and can only go by pictures but it seems that sub-grade work was done at the end of the main straight through big bend, the end of no-name through the uphill, all of west bend and the downhill. The most important part of ANY pavement, whether it be concrete or asphalt, is the sub-grade. Mr. Barber has mentioned that very fact, though slightly clouded in rhetoric, in past releases. I'll add that even IF they ripped up the whole track and put the most pristine subgrade material in there available it still would be no guarantee of future stability. IMHO the whole place needs a redesign of slope and drainage as a first step, THEN worry about the track surface... but no one asked me..
The time it was rescheduled in the fall. Lime Rock Lake Levy didn't hold up. There was about 4" of water iunder the HVR hospitality tent

Quick Reply: Anyone going to the ALMS race at Lime Rock