Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R.I.P., Scott Kalitta

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2008, 10:14 PM
flatsics
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 25 Posts

I was looking at the wreck and thinking they should use a system like the Navy uses on aircraft carriers. Why couldn't they use an arresting hook that is electronically activated once they pass a certain point on the track?

Last edited by flatsics; 06-23-2008 at 03:28 AM.
Old 06-22-2008, 11:32 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 995 Likes on 595 Posts

I think this has a lot more to do than just the length of the shutdown area. If you notice, the shutes were messed up, but the brakes were never put on....At over 200, no amount of shutdown length and gravel trap will help.

The barrier was not involved in the crash.

This is truly a sad event for all of racing. RIP Scott....
Old 06-23-2008, 12:23 AM
Billy Wyatt
Burning Brakes

Received 29 Likes on 15 Posts

He actually hit a pole at the end of the sand trap.Not sure why it was there??
Old 06-23-2008, 11:23 AM
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 156 Likes on 98 Posts

What a tragedy. I read about it on a newsite and below the story, in the comments section, there was one of those commentaries about how "no one should feel sorry for him... he deserved it... it was only a matter of time... blah, blah, blah..." There is always someone who pipes up with this stuff every time a driver is killed. Really gets under my skin... I can only imagine how upsetting it would be for family members or close friends to see that.

Compared to other forms of motorsport, I think NHRA has not advaced as much in the areas of safety (especially track design). Hopefully, this tragedy will spur improvements.

Those funny cars are a frightening and awesome combination. I can only imagine the nerve it must take to strap into one...
Old 06-23-2008, 12:30 PM
MTosi
User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think they have a problem with the current chassis they are using I remember this discussion happening after John Force's crash. They need to do something about this current situation, a certain level of risk is accepted at 300mph and stuff will happen, but 5 fatalities in 4 years in unacceptable, this is not late 60's F1 we are dealing with here, this is the 21st century.
Old 06-23-2008, 09:24 PM
ajcjr
Rennlist Member

Received 43 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by Matt Romanowski
I think this has a lot more to do than just the length of the shutdown area. If you notice, the shutes were messed up, but the brakes were never put on....At over 200, no amount of shutdown length and gravel trap will help.

The barrier was not involved in the crash.

This is truly a sad event for all of racing. RIP Scott....
matt what barrier are you referring to? I was there, i have drag raced at etown for the past 17 years, those barriers hurt and kill racers. there is no reason for a jersey barrier at the end of the track. Last year at an NHRA divisional at etown and alcohol funny car smashed the barrier, thank god he wasnt going that fast, but the chassis was toast. Scott could have been alive after the explosion, the brakes were probably burnt crisp since they are carbon fiber, the chutes did not work but either did the sand trap, when the car hit that barrier all you saw was a mushroom of smoke in the air. I love etown, i learned to drag raced there, but they need to do something with those barriers.

I knew the kalittas, i actually did work for them with the airline. great guys, very nice. Its unfortunate this had to happen. Scott retired twice before but was bit by the bug like we all are, thankfully he checked out doing something he really enjoyed. The bad part is his wife and kids and also his dad connie. Etown was dead silent after this crash, it was scary.

God Speed Scott, you will be missed but not forgotten!!!

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm...ndid=391152897
Old 06-23-2008, 09:28 PM
ajcjr
Rennlist Member

Received 43 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by amjf088
What a tragedy. I read about it on a newsite and below the story, in the comments section, there was one of those commentaries about how "no one should feel sorry for him... he deserved it... it was only a matter of time... blah, blah, blah..." There is always someone who pipes up with this stuff every time a driver is killed. Really gets under my skin... I can only imagine how upsetting it would be for family members or close friends to see that.

Compared to other forms of motorsport, I think NHRA has not advaced as much in the areas of safety (especially track design). Hopefully, this tragedy will spur improvements.

Those funny cars are a frightening and awesome combination. I can only imagine the nerve it must take to strap into one...
What idoit wrote that, they should strap his @ss to a funny car. Those cars are voilent, i have been on the starting line with them, i have been at the track testing when they are the only cars there, it shakes the ground. Dont get me wrong i love the roar of a porsche motor running down a straight but if you ever get the chance to see a car go over 300mph in less than 5 seconds do it, the tv does not do it justice
Old 06-23-2008, 09:38 PM
Bull
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Billy Wyatt
He actually hit a pole at the end of the sand trap.Not sure why it was there??
It was a camera crane.
Old 06-23-2008, 09:39 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,680 Likes on 868 Posts

Originally Posted by Bull
It was a camera crane.
And he didn't hit it. His impact with the wall, and the resulting massive fuel explosion, caused the crane to move violently. I hoep the cameraman was OK.
Old 06-23-2008, 11:06 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Received 166 Likes on 65 Posts

That was the nastiest thing Ive ever seen! I can only imagine his thoughts when that car blew at half track. 300mph, is like a flyby for an F16 at an air show. no barrier or safety system is going to work. you need to have some kind of slow down ramp like for trucks that go up a hill or something. I think these kind of cars need to have more safety components so that a chute is ALWAYs deployed, no matter what. maybe a big arrester net that can be made of kevlar and catch the car at 200mph and take some of the speed out of it. that impact was like watching a jet, crash into a mountain side. very upsetting.
my heart goes out to the families.
RIP.

Mk
Old 06-23-2008, 11:07 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Received 166 Likes on 65 Posts

thats a great idea! they usually dont roll over until they hit the walls, so that might be the answer!
mk

Originally Posted by DrJupeman
Damn, that sucks. I just watched the accident. You wish they had ejector seats in those things or something.
Old 06-23-2008, 11:13 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 995 Likes on 595 Posts

Originally Posted by ajcjr
matt what barrier are you referring to? I was there, i have drag raced at etown for the past 17 years, those barriers hurt and kill racers. there is no reason for a jersey barrier at the end of the track. Last year at an NHRA divisional at etown and alcohol funny car smashed the barrier, thank god he wasnt going that fast, but the chassis was toast. Scott could have been alive after the explosion, the brakes were probably burnt crisp since they are carbon fiber, the chutes did not work but either did the sand trap, when the car hit that barrier all you saw was a mushroom of smoke in the air. I love etown, i learned to drag raced there, but they need to do something with those barriers.
The barrier at the end of the track, coming in from driver's right.

Either way, this is a terrible accident.

Quick Reply: R.I.P., Scott Kalitta