Sponsored by:

'Out of region' DEers

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2008 | 11:26 AM
mhm993
Rennlist Member

Default 'Out of region' DEers

{This is MINDY, not Marc}

Ran into an interesting problem which I would like some opinions on, especially from Chief Instructors, Track Chairs, and anyone else who has experience putting together PCA DE events. No arguments, no hard feelings, be constructive because this is where PCA DE is heading and it is making spec Mazdas look enticing.

More and more I am finding that attending a DE with a region that I have either never driven with or driven with in the not recent past is impossible. CI's have decided that out-of-region drivers are "the problem" and safety demands that they be severely limited. How? By putting you in green or the last recorded run group (for you in that region) with the promise that a check-out will occur within a 'reasonable' time during the event. Some regions will accept an e-mail from your home region's officers. It doesn't seem to matter if you are from a small region (where advancement might be quicker) or a large region (where you can fester in a group for your entire life).

I share a car and it can be argued (esp. at WGI) that I already drive a run group down. The sharing issue means that if we both are assigned green then a check-out in both green AND the color you are aiming for will take at least an entire day of the event. This is if the world was perfect and everyone followed their own rules.

The situation I encountered, and the reason I sit here typing instead of packing, is Marc and I signed up for an event run by a region that we have driven with before, albeit over two years ago (at which time I put myself a run group down because of issues at that specific track). Their rules changed this year. We drive with the registrar and co-track chair at every advanced day in the northeast and many events over the season, and have for 5 years now. But I was told that I am stuck in an instructed run group and that they would not have the man power to even start the check-out ride procedures at any time during this event, for either of us and that their run groups are better, faster, safer than anyone else's. What? I was also told to not bring my 'ego' and have fun anyway. Has anyone checked lately how much $$$$ it costs to 'have fun anyway' these days?

Fun is good, but I DE to drive especially when I sign up for a region in which I know very few people. The CI at this region does not answer e-mails and there is no further contact information beyond the region e-mail account. The event I am referring to is NOT sold out. The registrar took pity on the situation so I have no financial beef with them, though we did lose $ on the hotel reservation. Mostly, we like this region, they previously ran good events, and were really looking forward to driving with them again.

Interestingly I belong to a very large region and a very small region. Both attract a lot of out-of-region drivers to their events for very different reasons. The safety level of the events appear to be fairly even, with the larger region (with fewer out-of-region drivers) having slightly more incidents per event. The smaller region runs a much better event where people are happy and having a good time. The larger region yells at you and makes you wonder why you paid to be there. Check-outs are great and I applaud the regions who offer instructors to white and black drivers. These tend to be the smaller regions.

So I do not get it.
Old 06-19-2008 | 11:53 AM
smlporsche
Drifting

Mindy-
As someone who has been through what you are going through I can comiserate but having just gone through organizing a DE for our region I can also see the other side.

It comes down to good communication between you and the organizing event and being able to us a registration site like cluregistration.net where you can keep your record up to date and it is available to the CDI.

In our recent DE we developed a policy that without any documented experience a driver would automatically be put in green. Saturday morning a driver pulls in with a 40' rig and a newly built race car. He shows up and appologizes that he didn't send in his resume (I guess he thought everyone new him...) but then proceeded to pull out his SCCA Pro license which he has had for many years. We ended up changing him to Red and everything was fine but these kind of things can happen.

It's all about communication...
Old 06-19-2008 | 12:01 PM
Geoffrey
Nordschleife Master

Mindy, Some Regions are more rules focused than others and I have found that individuals have the most influence on how flexible the Region is. Remember this is a market, and there are lots of places to spend your money. It is my philosophy that we (Region chairs) are responsible for helping you (the customer) have the greatest experience possible. Rules need to exist, but the one some event organizers forget about is "the reasonable man rule".
Old 06-19-2008 | 01:01 PM
schwank
Herr Unmöglich
Rennlist Member

Situation depending, I would tell the region exactly how I felt and withdraw.

Having aggressive drivers in Green is bad. Having people pay hundreds of dollars to be told that you have to ride with instructors with no hope of signoff regardless of prior experience is ridiculous. At least use the method Eddie mentions and require some documentation. Anyone who has done appreciable amounts of DE probably has a nice size resume on motorsportreg, or has someone in their local region to vouch for their ability. Racers have a license.

I would not have fun in such an environment, so for me the best thing would just be to spend my money with a better group. I don't envy you NE folks. Sounds like the events are much more hassle than the ones I attend here on the West Coast.
Old 06-19-2008 | 01:12 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Geoffrey
Mindy, Some Regions are more rules focused than others and I have found that individuals have the most influence on how flexible the Region is. Remember this is a market, and there are lots of places to spend your money. It is my philosophy that we (Region chairs) are responsible for helping you (the customer) have the greatest experience possible. Rules need to exist, but the one some event organizers forget about is "the reasonable man rule".
I'm with you Geoffrey. Currently there is only one region I choose not to participate with due to certain personnel and their "work ethic".. Until I hear things have changed I don't miss anything, they simply don't get my money. See how easy that works Mindy?

Edit.. make that two regions, forgot about my May event and the fun I had.
Old 06-19-2008 | 01:13 PM
SundayDriver
Lifetime Rennlist Member

I experienced both extremes when I moved to Ohio. Wanted to do a DE with a PA (I think) region at Mid Ohio. Called and talked to CI who said I had to go into the lowest group and do multiple events there before they would consider moving me up. I explained that I was an SCCA National license holder, had a 525HP 993TT, gave him an idea of the lap times I had run in that car, and pointed out that we would have closing speeds in excess of 50 mph down the straight and how I felt that would be both unsafe an no fun for anyone. They would not budge so I never ran with them. Can you imagine a first time driver doing 110 down the straight with another car closing at 160mph?

NE Ohio let me in their DE at Mid Ohio in the highest non-instructor group and only required an instructor check-out ride in the first session. Instructor was Bill Gregory, he said I was good to go after a few laps so we used the rest of the session to work on the rain line as I was fairly new to the track.

Point is that some regions are **** about rules, even if they are unsafe while others actually employ common sense.
Old 06-19-2008 | 01:19 PM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

Hmm, I guess they have their reasons. Mindy come run with Rennsport instead! We place drivers based on their experience and when in doubt I have a chat with the CI of their home region. The only rule we impose is that anyone who has not driven our track needs an instructor to show them the way around. Some years ago I had the privilege of showing Johannes Van Overbeek the quick way around our home track - later he took me out and showed me the very fast way around!

best,
Old 06-19-2008 | 01:43 PM
Geoffrey
Nordschleife Master

Too many times people forget that this is a hobby and it is supposed to be fun and a distraction from all of the pressures and stress from work. Why pay money to an organization that creates a high stress environment.

Even the PCA NATIONAL INSTRUCTOR CERTIFICATION program is not universally accepted by all Regions. Regions are free to do what they want as long as they meet the minimum DE standards which speak more towards PCA's insurance policy than anything.
Old 06-19-2008 | 01:53 PM
smlporsche
Drifting

Even the PCA NATIONAL INSTRUCTOR CERTIFICATION program is not universally accepted by all Regions. Regions are free to do what they want as long as they meet the minimum DE standards which speak more towards PCA's insurance policy than anything.
Yeah, I ran into that earlier this spring. Wanted to put me in Blue on a track that I have 6 weekends on... I passed...
Old 06-19-2008 | 02:06 PM
Geoffrey
Nordschleife Master

It happens, spend your money elsewhere.
Old 06-19-2008 | 03:11 PM
dbryant61
Burning Brakes

Mindy,

I am the registrar for First Settlers (or was through the last event and am helping someone else take the job over) and have faced this difficult situation over the last three years. From where I sit, many people do not provide enough historical data. We are now using www.clubregistration.net, and there is room for you to write volumes about your history. I am of limited mental capacity and cannot remember what run group people in my own region ran in. When I am confirming 205 drivers for an event, if I do not remember you, I call up your history on the website. If you do not have a history, I place you in Green. If I have time, I look at our archive rosters and see if you drove with us before. If you ran in Black, I place you there, unless it has been over a year, then I might bump you down.

At any rate, my decision making is limited by the information that you provide (and that mental capacity thing). Then I send out a mass email stating basically "I have made the run group assignements. Email me if you see anything wrong. Begin by updating your history on the website. Then provide me with the reason you think your run group is wrong." If you email me requesting a change, I re-review your history and email argument. If the data you provide makes sense, I move you. If it does not, I give you my explanation and give you the opportunity to submit a letter by your home region's CTI, and adjust as necessary.

Another problem is the lack of consistency of run group colors and names. Blue = orange = 2 = 3? So when you give your history, give a description of the run group along with the color so any registrar can read it and understand what you mean. And while we are at it, who decided that after you have driven enough events to get promoted from "Novice", you become a "Beginner"?

Realize that all of this takes a ton of time, so much that SWMBO (that's she who must be obeyed) has stated that I am not allowed to be registrar any longer. Since I want to continue driving, I've stepped down.
Old 06-19-2008 | 03:20 PM
race911
Rennlist Member

No kidding. Private groups have a vested interest in YOUR satisfaction. (In relation to the overall safety of all the participants, of course.) Instructing tomorrow will be a breeze, even if it's unlikely I'll be assigned a Porsche.
Old 06-19-2008 | 03:41 PM
dan212
Rennlist Member

I drive across a LOT of regions - 7 in 9 months. That make it hard to get continuity with each one. I found a letter from my own regional chief instructor usually makes all the difference.

Another region placed me down a notch (but not in green) and said that they just wanted a check out ride before placing me. I don't have a problem with that and didn't even ask my chief instructor to write them. Its not as if the chance for a ride with their chief instructor (who I know and really like) won't be a great learning opportunity anyway.

dan
Old 06-19-2008 | 03:42 PM
russ930
Advanced

Geoffrey is right on the mark. Many regions now have rules for the sake of having rules!
Old 06-19-2008 | 03:42 PM
M758
Race Director

Yep,
Even with limited tracks in Phoenix I have many organizations I can spend my time and money at to get track time. I choose the ones I like the best. If some org/region is going to give you a hard time don't go.

Simple as that.

Quick Reply: 'Out of region' DEers