Received 1,598 Likes on 832 Posts

you ALWAYS see them for sale used, in the SCCA's magazine
Old 06-16-2008, 09:54 PM
MTosi
User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
you ALWAYS see them for sale used, in the SCCA's magazine

I do??? I don't remember any in the last issue, then again I wasn't looking, I'll go grab the copy and look.
Old 06-16-2008, 09:56 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

There was at least one if not two in the previous issue. I have not read the one that arrived last week yet.
Old 06-16-2008, 09:59 PM
Barfly
Racer

Rent one to see if you like it: http://www.jaymotorsports.com/index....d=16&Itemid=73

______
Jason
Old 06-16-2008, 10:06 PM
aeshultz
Burning Brakes

+1 on the rentals - and I've had a few ppl reccomend Jay.
Old 06-16-2008, 10:07 PM
MTosi
User

Originally Posted by pyruvate
Thats how much I was looking to spend on a 944 donor car

I don't have the wallet for racing, even as a college student 9hr days at 13/hr still only nets 9k at the end of the 4 months I can work full time, which is about enough for a decent 944 build or a cheaper miata one. Yes I know I'm in the wrong hobby...... why couldn't I enjoy golf or baseball......
Old 06-16-2008, 11:58 PM
Robert Henriksen
Addict
Rennlist Member

Two PCA instructors went out yesterday for their first droves in SRF cars - borrowed from other instructors. Same session. I was in the garage when they came back in. They were both speechless - one was quiet, the other was babbling incoherently.

They were both very impressed.

Buy them for $16-18k, drove the hell out of them for as long as you like, sell them for $16-18k.

What's not to like?
Old 06-17-2008, 12:10 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Yup, LOVE the SRF....
Old 06-17-2008, 09:30 AM
MTosi
User

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
Yup, LOVE the SRF....
hmmmmm.......Now all I need to do is convince someone to give me 20K to sponsor a car that will race with no TV coverage, and no spectators...... Maybe a Ford dealer wants to be able to park a "Ford" race car out front.....
Old 06-17-2008, 12:18 PM
seege
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by MTosi
hmmmmm.......Now all I need to do is convince someone to give me 20K to sponsor a car that will race with no TV coverage, and no spectators...... Maybe a Ford dealer wants to be able to park a "Ford" race car out front.....
I had a Z06 I was racing a couple years ago and I approached the GM of a local Chevrolet Dealer to find out about getting a break on parts and labor for the race car. He thought I was asking for a sponsorship, started huffing and puffing about local demographics, retirees, etc and almost threw me out... I explained that I needed his services and I was going to use them anyway and I just thought it was worth a shot. He said I was welcome to use their services at full price. I always brought the car and tow rig in clean and got to know everyone around the service and parts dept. They had a big outdoor service area and they would store the car on a raised lift whenever it was there overnight so I wouldn't worry about the car. The techs would mention that customers were always asking about the car and looking at it. They started
giving me the best tech for my work, he started giving me "good guy" rates
on service, parts prices went to cost plus 10%.Then they went cheaper. Parts were occasionally comped from the parts dept, the tech came to a couple races and I made sure he had a good time. One day I called the GM and asked if I could put their logo in big letters on my hood and trunk ? Absolutely ! Pretty soon the shiny new vinyl was on the car...that's probably as good as it gets with car dealers your not related to. Good luck.
Old 06-17-2008, 12:19 PM
M758
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

944 spec

The guy that took a first and second place at This weekend's Miller race drove the car from Arizona to Utah. Then drove it back.

Spec Miata used to be cheap (in racing terms). Sadly it is not longer that way if you want win.
Old 06-17-2008, 01:59 PM
aeshultz
Burning Brakes

Yeah, Joe - that would be wonderfull if we all lived in AZ or CA. Out here, we're lucky if one or two cars show up for any given race. On the bright side, the ones who do show usually can run right in the middle of the Cup / PCA "B" cars.
Old 06-17-2008, 02:17 PM
MTosi
User

Originally Posted by seege
I had a Z06 I was racing a couple years ago and I approached the GM of a local Chevrolet Dealer to find out about getting a break on parts and labor for the race car. He thought I was asking for a sponsorship, started huffing and puffing about local demographics, retirees, etc and almost threw me out... I explained that I needed his services and I was going to use them anyway and I just thought it was worth a shot. He said I was welcome to use their services at full price. I always brought the car and tow rig in clean and got to know everyone around the service and parts dept. They had a big outdoor service area and they would store the car on a raised lift whenever it was there overnight so I wouldn't worry about the car. The techs would mention that customers were always asking about the car and looking at it. They started
giving me the best tech for my work, he started giving me "good guy" rates
on service, parts prices went to cost plus 10%.Then they went cheaper. Parts were occasionally comped from the parts dept, the tech came to a couple races and I made sure he had a good time. One day I called the GM and asked if I could put their logo in big letters on my hood and trunk ? Absolutely ! Pretty soon the shiny new vinyl was on the car...that's probably as good as it gets with car dealers your not related to. Good luck.
Back in the SCCA showroom stock hayday (early 80's) my dad used to get sponsorship from Porsche and Datsun (nissian) dealers. He got the cars for dealer cost, he actually got the first 300Z turbo in the country, of course then promptly yanked out the half shaft, it was too short, so over a rise when the suspension went to full droop it pulled out (You'd think the datsun engineers would check that???). He'd bolt in a roll cage, swap out the steering wheel, bleed brakes and go racing. Then at the end of the season pull out the cage, and sell the less than year old car for more than he paid. However I think those days are long gone, when car dealers were operating on a relatively large profit margin and weren't being squeezed by manufacturer. I can't imagine going up to Porsche Nashua and asking for a 997 or Cayman for dealer cost, I'd probably get laughed out of the dealer.

Originally Posted by aeshultz
Yeah, Joe - that would be wonderfull if we all lived in AZ or CA. Out here, we're lucky if one or two cars show up for any given race. On the bright side, the ones who do show usually can run right in the middle of the Cup / PCA "B" cars.
Yeah same here! I'm thinking If I was to setup a 44 cup car I do it to close to sp1 specs. So I could run either class. It would be nice if the SCCA put the 944 into ITB instead of ITS, because its so outclassed in ITS, unless you want to spend tens of thousands of dollars.....
Old 06-17-2008, 02:29 PM
M758
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by aeshultz
2 years ago there was only 1 car in colorado. Now there are 20+.

Build it and they will come.

Guys... really

Here is the deal..... Build a 944 to spec rules. It is the MOST cost effective way of racing a Porsche. Once built race it and talk to every one. 944 spec is a National NASA class so ANY race will offer 944 spec. Talk to the cup guys who are running mid pack at spec prep levels and build the class. Cup is nice, but to run at the front of cup takes more $$$ than spec. The spec tires, spec shocks, limited spring rates and stock chips and headers really level the playing field and control costs. What is needed to make the class take off is one guy to locally rally the troops. Get a phone list of all the 944 spec prepared cars or close to spec prep cars and coordinate what events you run. Carve out a pit area for you and these guys and work together to bring in more drivers.

Don't dispair....
Old 06-17-2008, 02:53 PM
flashgordon
Instructor

I think a 944 cup car is the better choice over a miata. I have been looking into both myself and from what I have seen, you can built a 944 for about half the cost of a miata. The 944 cup series is beginning to grow on the east coast. Just look at the number of entrants for the summit point race at hyperfest. There would be even more cars but the race group was filled to capacity pretty quickly.

Quick Reply: Spec Miata?