Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hoosier A6s vs the Michlen SX Race Slick (non cup)

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2008, 08:34 PM
Geoffrey
Nordschleife Master

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

The Michelin slicks in the CUP format are awesome slicks and stick well when cold and stick well the first heat cycle. The old SX series slicks are not so good. The sidewall is softer than the cup and the rear engine Porsche really challenges the tire. The tread compound is also different and even though they have a lower number, are actually harder than the Yellow or Blue Porsche Cup specific tires. I've used both the 680 and 650 rears and found them really undrivable even when hot. The camber requirements for the SX tires are very different than the CUP series tires and if you have an optimized alignment for the Cup tires you'll find significant graining on the SX series and they will cord the inside indicating that they want less camber, particularly in the rear. The fronts aren't so noticably different than the Cup.
Old 06-10-2008, 08:50 PM
MacGT3
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dell,

Good to see that you are still out there as am I. ( Miss you man!!!.)

The Corvette T1 guy's that I have talked to say that the A6 is the "BOMB" as compared to the R6. Does not last as long but neither do slicks!!!! This is what they race on every event.

At Summit Point I was running 1:17 with R6's and the T1 guys' were running 1:20.5"s with A6's but I was in the Red Beast with 200more HP than they had and they were convinced that we would run 1.5 to 1.175 secs. faster with the A6's.

Now, on the Red Monster, I am running Michelin Customer Slicks, available to all but direcltly from my ALMS partner and they are better than the Pirelli's and Yokahoma's that I have used on the GT3. My ALMS friend say's that Dunlop slicks are even better over multiple heat cycles. (Nothing is better than the Michelin Select Slick and none of us can buy it either.) I believe that Greg (G3) recommends Dunlops!

When going to the track and slicks may not be in the budget, the Hoosier A6 may be the intermediate answer. (The Corvette T1 Racers swear by it!!!!!)

The Red Monster is on it's way to Texas for repairs and I hope to see you and the family soon.

Jim
Old 06-11-2008, 07:55 AM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

Jim, I am aware the Vette guys swear buy them but that doesn't mean it's the right tire Not sure where it started but one of the series uses them and then it spread to the weekend club guy as they obvious emulate them.

You should have seen this guy I instructed in a Vette. That A6 was so gooey after the session that you could depress the tread of the tire and there was streaks of thick tar all over his fenders. It looked like melted rubber icicles hanging from the fenders as well. I didn't even think to check the tire temps as the guy I was instructing had several other problems that don't need to be discussed here and he was pulled from the track for a period of time.

Anyway, I have no doubt they are faster initially but there is an optimal window before the they stop performing the way you want them to. Also, the cost is just crazy relative to what they give you in a ROAD CIRCUIT settings. The R6 is the proper tire for a typical 30 min road course DE session with the temps you will have the tires operating in.

Looking forward to seeing you soon! Our next event is the Chin event at VIR and then Lowe's ROVAL with Carolinas. Not sure I will do the member event at the end of this month, possibly.
Old 06-11-2008, 10:28 AM
924RACR
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 74 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by jrgordonsenior
One of our faster racers out here in la la land put a set of "A" tires on for qualifying last December on a cold day. He went 2 laps and beat the class record by 2-3 seconds. Remarkably they let it stand.

I would compare costs before I jumped in that direction. Since you're only going to get a few laps out of them they would have to be damn cheap to make it worth trying a set. The cups on the other hand, are good for 4-6 fast cycles, and then another 10 or so at about 70%. Yes they're slippery for the first lap...

Did you mention what car these are going on?....
Odd; around here, doesn't matter how fast you go in qualifying - you don't get a lap record unless it's set on a RACE lap...

As for the A6's - I race on 'em. Just started this year. Dayum sticky. Can't compare to the Michelins, though, sorry. FWIW, my car weighs 2530#. Session lengths are short, as is the track, about 15-20min. When I go to Mid-O in Aug, I'll be running R6's for a 45min race. Might try the A's for qual, though... see how lucky I feel.

Quick Reply: Hoosier A6s vs the Michlen SX Race Slick (non cup)