Sponsored by:

What is a tire trailer called?

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2008 | 01:35 PM
Tom R.
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Default What is a tire trailer called?

I am thinking of getting one of those nifty trailers to carry track tires and dont know the technical term to google to see if anyone has one for sale.

what is a tire trailer called?
Old 06-09-2008 | 01:47 PM
ninjabones
Rennlist Member

Good luck... I've been scouting for a used one for a while. Looks like the best option is to buy one from Harbour Freight (4 ft x 6ft) costs about $200 unassembled and then bolt on a tool box and fab some type of wheel rack. Unfortunately, in Pennsylvania the hastle of registering and inspecting a "home made trailer" is not worth the hastle, so I'm holding out for a used one that's already been inspected. You could start your search with "utility trailer" and go from there. Trailex used to make a "tire toter" and I believe they still make a "trail gater" with an optional wheel rack. But they are pricey (upwards of $1500). However, I'm not aware of any other company at present that makes dedicated tire trailers. I recently posted about potentially installing a tire tail (zoom graphics) on my 993, but haven't found anyone who has done it before with a D'alan hitch. It may prove to be too much stress on the hitch receiver.
Old 06-09-2008 | 02:07 PM
Tom R.
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

ninja, thanks. found this link that may be helpful
http://www.fd3s.net/trailer.html
Old 06-09-2008 | 02:38 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

I believe what you are searching for is the Southsport Tire Trailer.
A picture of one, attaced to a Boxster, can be seen here:
http://www.rx7.org/Robinette/trailer_hitch.htm

FWIW, I owned one and sold it when I bought my enclosed trailer & Cup Car. It was a great product.

They can be found in various car club websites, as AFAIK, they are no longer produced.
A google search will yield some places to look for one; here are some for sale:
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=443906
http://www.trackpedia.com/forums/arc...hp?t-3020.html

Or perhaps Craigslist.
Old 06-09-2008 | 04:59 PM
mhm993
Rennlist Member

Tom,
I dont believe that southsport has made that trailer in a number of years and they're near impossible to find. Tom Jarray had one, and it was really well made, The big dollar guys probably buy the trailex trailer. Us cheap sob's purchased Harbor Fright 4x4 utility trailer, and assembled it ourselves along with a walmart plastic truck bed box, some plywood and pipes.
Old 06-09-2008 | 05:40 PM
RickBetterley
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by mhm993
Tom,
I dont believe that southsport has made that trailer in a number of years and they're near impossible to find. Tom Jarray had one, and it was really well made, The big dollar guys probably buy the trailex trailer. Us cheap sob's purchased Harbor Fright 4x4 utility trailer, and assembled it ourselves along with a walmart plastic truck bed box, some plywood and pipes.
You should come clean and admit that you and Mindy upgraded to an enclosed Trailex.
Now that's a pricey trailer!
I have heard several people over the years comment that they have a Southport behind their garage and that they'd sell it if they had the time.
Maybe original poster will turn one up.
Old 06-09-2008 | 05:50 PM
smankow
Pro

I looked into this 2 years ago before buying a friend open trailer. Remember, it's not just the trailer that you need to buy. You'll also need the receiver (the ball) and a way to mount it to your car as well as tap into the electrics for brake lights.

By the time I added things up, I was getting close to the cost of the used trailer and I didn't have to drill any holes into my 996. In addition, this doesn't solve the problem of the extra miles onto your car or what happens if "something" happens to the car or trailer.

I've recently upgraded to an enclosed trailer and will be selling my open trailer soon (unless a friend buys it first).

Steve
Old 06-09-2008 | 06:31 PM
gbaker
Three Wheelin'

Someone makes a tire carrier that attaches straight to the hitch, but is cantilevered. Nothing touches the ground so there is no need to register it.
Old 06-09-2008 | 08:34 PM
Bull
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Trailerous Tireamous
Old 06-09-2008 | 08:59 PM
mhm993
Rennlist Member

Rick
Had Tom R not moved away to a more pleasant, mountainous region, he would have seen my classified ad where I gave my tire trailer away to the first metro member who promised to use it a lot. It's true, once you've had a trailex, it's hard to go back to harbor fright.
Old 06-09-2008 | 09:07 PM
Giacomo
Pro

I purchased a small tire trailer (6 tire capacity) with a large tool box from a gentleman in St. Louis several years ago and towed it behind my BoxsterS. We went to Mont-Tremblant, Mosport, Mid-Ohio, Watkins Glen and VIR with that little baby and it sure was handy. It actually had a special hitch for 986/996 which bolted to the brackets for the bumperettes so when your replaced the bumperettes the mounting points were undiscernable. I sold it two years ago to a friend who now trailers his 911 and I'm sure he would like to get rid of it. If anyone is interested let me know and I will try to get pics posted although it might take me couple days.
Old 06-09-2008 | 09:48 PM
Tom R.
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Rick
Had Tom R not moved away to a more pleasant, mountainous region, he would have seen my classified ad where I gave my tire trailer away to the first metro member who promised to use it a lot. It's true, once you've had a trailex, it's hard to go back to harbor fright.
Ouch!!! I could have probably gotten it delivered down the block from my brother in atlantic beach too!!! double ouch.

Right now i am toying between just keeping my 944S2, getting a nice 968 with LSD, or see what the 944S2 race car advertised in the classifieds and PCA mart is all about. sometimes it's just easier to let someone else set it up.

if i get car with a cage, I know i wont be able to fit the four tires in teh car like i did this weekend, hence the need for a "Trailerous Tireamous"

Giacomo, what part of the country do you think it is in? I was at pueblo the last two weekends, and with gas at $4 a gallon, it was $15 more to stay in a hotel than drive the 105 miles home!! it may be more in gas to pick it up than it costs.
Old 06-09-2008 | 11:15 PM
RickBetterley
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Rick
Indeed - you should ask Fred P about the time his trailer came loose from the hitch. Great story and nobody got killed.
Old 06-10-2008 | 12:43 AM
jaholmes
Drifting

Originally Posted by ninjabones
Good luck... I've been scouting for a used one for a while. Looks like the best option is to buy one from Harbour Freight (4 ft x 6ft) costs about $200 unassembled and then bolt on a tool box and fab some type of wheel rack. Unfortunately, in Pennsylvania the hastle of registering and inspecting a "home made trailer" is not worth the hastle, so I'm holding out for a used one that's already been inspected. You could start your search with "utility trailer" and go from there. Trailex used to make a "tire toter" and I believe they still make a "trail gater" with an optional wheel rack. But they are pricey (upwards of $1500). However, I'm not aware of any other company at present that makes dedicated tire trailers. I recently posted about potentially installing a tire tail (zoom graphics) on my 993, but haven't found anyone who has done it before with a D'alan hitch. It may prove to be too much stress on the hitch receiver.
Thule makes a pretty good utility trailer.
Old 06-10-2008 | 02:03 PM
ninjabones
Rennlist Member

I just got a quote from a local Trailex dealer for a Tire Toter with a tire rack. $1617 (plus $200-$400 shipping, plus PA sales tax $122, plus prep/tags/registration $55) Total is north of $2,000 and at least 2 weeks to build. That's crazy man... guess i'm holding out for either a used one or a to-good-to-be-true deal on a full open trailer.

Quick Reply: What is a tire trailer called?