Sponsored by:

AIM GPS

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2008, 08:27 PM
RJay
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I ran my up the windshield under the seal and out the center right on top of the roof. In fact if you look at my avatar you can see where its positioned.
Old 06-14-2008, 09:58 PM
Chulo
Racer

Originally Posted by RJay
I ran my up the windshield under the seal and out the center right on top of the roof. In fact if you look at my avatar you can see where its positioned.
Nice.. I think I will do the same. It's far enough away from the radio antenna, too. Did you do a separate on/off switch?
Old 06-14-2008, 11:22 PM
RJay
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Chulo
Nice.. I think I will do the same. It's far enough away from the radio antenna, too. Did you do a separate on/off switch?
Nope, didnt even think of it. You want a switch so you can turn off the GPS to use the beacon instead? Or is there some other reason?
Old 06-14-2008, 11:33 PM
Chulo
Racer

Nope, didnt even think of it. You want a switch so you can turn off the GPS to use the beacon instead? Or is there some other reason?

No.. a separate switch to kill the AIM system entirely. Something other than the ignition. Seems like a good idea to be able to power up just the AIM to gather data, etc.. without running the car.
Old 06-14-2008, 11:34 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 272 Likes on 166 Posts

You want a switch so you can turn off the GPS to use the beacon instead? Or is there some other reason?
I would want one simply so I don't get a data file for going to the air pump or to fuel up. Turn your key on/off and you get a file.. No big deal, it's actually something that could be written into the software also.
Old 06-15-2008, 12:31 AM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

No.. a separate switch to kill the AIM system entirely. Something other than the ignition. Seems like a good idea to be able to power up just the AIM to gather data, etc.. without running the car.
You lost me with that one, exactly what data would you want without running the car?
Old 06-15-2008, 12:36 AM
Chulo
Racer

Originally Posted by Gary R.
You lost me with that one, exactly what data would you want without running the car?
Lateral G's while parked? Steering angle when exiting trailer? lol...

I think I need to quote Jim B and say.. don't drink and post on RL at the same time.

What I am trying to do it be able to keep the system on after a race, and not have to have the car running, or turned to accessory. Does that make sense?
Old 06-15-2008, 12:56 AM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Lateral G's while parked? Steering angle when exiting trailer? lol...

I think I need to quote Jim B and say.. don't drink and post on RL at the same time.

What I am trying to do it be able to keep the system on after a race, and not have to have the car running, or turned to accessory. Does that make sense?
Why Ben? To collect data? Get the Hub and Data key and all you have to do is grab the key and plug it into your Laptop's USB port. No cables, no muss, no fuss. It also has twice the memory of the AIM Pista itself (16MB) and the Pista still has all the data should you screw up the data key's memory somehow (redundancy!)
Old 06-15-2008, 01:07 AM
Chulo
Racer

Why Ben? To collect data? Get the Hub and Data key and all you have to do is grab the key and plug it into your Laptop's USB port. No cables, no muss, no fuss. It also has twice the memory of the AIM Pista itself (16MB) and the Pista still has all the data should you screw up the data key's memory somehow (redundancy!)
Good idea. I'll do that. Thanks, Gary.
Old 06-15-2008, 01:38 AM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

But I do like the idea of grabbing steering input and speed exiting the trailer... I could re-engineer my ramps!
Old 06-15-2008, 08:45 AM
RJay
Addict
Rennlist Member

Okay , I get it. It would be nice to be able to shut it off for things like pulling in and out of the trailer etc, so you dont have to weed through and delete irrelevant files. Trouble for me is that the AIM is my dash, i.e. the only source of info real time info, so for oil pressure, temp etc, I want it on regardless.
Old 06-15-2008, 08:52 AM
RickBetterley
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 37 Likes on 18 Posts

Does it have to be outside? My guy has it on the dash inside the car right now, and that seemed a little weird to me. Any idea?

I think I might wire the AIM system to the fog light switch, so I can manually turn it on and off.
Hi Ben
I was mounting the GPS antenna on the roof, after becoming convinced it was OK to let the wire to it run between the window frame and the roof (weather strip has enough compression in it to protect the wire from crushing).
When exiting the car, I would just have to remember to open door, reach out and retrieve the antenna, which I then (magnetically) would store on the roll cage.
Of course, I would never remember to do this.
So - I checked to see how good the signals were received when I just left the antenna on the roll bar and found, low and behold, they were fine.
So, I can now confirm that leaving the antenna inside the window (like on the dash or upper vertical roll bar pipe is workable).
Old 06-15-2008, 10:56 AM
Chulo
Racer

Originally Posted by RickBetterley
Hi Ben
I was mounting the GPS antenna on the roof, after becoming convinced it was OK to let the wire to it run between the window frame and the roof (weather strip has enough compression in it to protect the wire from crushing).
When exiting the car, I would just have to remember to open door, reach out and retrieve the antenna, which I then (magnetically) would store on the roll cage.
Of course, I would never remember to do this.
So - I checked to see how good the signals were received when I just left the antenna on the roll bar and found, low and behold, they were fine.
So, I can now confirm that leaving the antenna inside the window (like on the dash or upper vertical roll bar pipe is workable).
Thanks, Rick. My guy has it on the dash right now, and swears it will be ok. Come to think of it, the AIM guy was there, and I think he saw it, too, so I guess I should not question it. AIM does say on their site it should go on the roof. Ultimately, there will be signal or not. We'll see.
Old 06-15-2008, 11:15 AM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Ben - I had a MaxQData GPS setup and the receiver was mounted (velcro) to the dash up close to the windshield. It always worked fine there..
Old 06-15-2008, 01:35 PM
Chulo
Racer

Ben - I had a MaxQData GPS setup and the receiver was mounted (velcro) to the dash up close to the windshield. It always worked fine there..

Good to know. Thanks again, Gary. I'll post some pics later this week when I get it back from the shop. Can't wait to use it.

Quick Reply: AIM GPS