Sponsored by:

AIM GPS

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2008, 04:30 PM
Chulo
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AIM GPS

Hi all - I'm going to install an AIM Pista in my C2 this week. I'm on the fence in regards to the GPS module. Who has it, and what kind of experience have you had with it? It is worth the $600? What kind of extra data can one expect to get from it?
Old 06-08-2008, 04:34 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 272 Likes on 166 Posts

Don't need a beacon, don't need wheel speed sensors (for MPH anyway), believe the Lat / Long G's are part of it, track mapping with accurate positional data... to name a couple things. Very pleased with mine.
Old 06-08-2008, 04:40 PM
Chulo
Racer

Originally Posted by Gary R.
Don't need a beacon, don't need wheel speed sensors (for MPH anyway), believe the Lat / Long G's are part of it, track mapping with accurate positional data... to name a couple things. Very pleased with mine.
Good to know. You just did a new Pista install, didn't you? What sensors did you go with?
Old 06-08-2008, 04:46 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

0-2000 PSI brake sensor, throttle pedal position sensor, and have a steering position sensor (string potentiometer type) I will install this week. The gas and brake are all you really need to get started... as long as you have the GPS..
Old 06-08-2008, 04:51 PM
Chulo
Racer

0-2000 PSI brake sensor, throttle pedal position sensor, and have a steering position sensor (string potentiometer type) I will install this week. The gas and brake are all you really need to get started... as long as you have the GPS..
Thanks, Gary. Did you place it in front of your dash?
Old 06-08-2008, 06:05 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Chulo
Thanks, Gary. Did you place it in front of your dash?
Yes, Scott S. at Dan Jacobs LLC did the initial install. There is a special mounting plate that goes right on the steering column.
Old 06-08-2008, 06:22 PM
Circuit Motorsports
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

If you are truly on the fence for GPS it is an easy thing to add on.

At most races I've been to there is at least one AIM beacon on the wall. I've never had to set one of my own out.

That being said, the GPS is nice in that you'll never have to check pit wall for beacons, bring your own out there, forget yours on the wall adn remember 2 hours down the road.

FWIW When I rebuild the data system in my car this summer/fall it will have a GPS beacon in it and the EVO Pro data system (similar to the MXL but will run the formula car steering wheel.). One main reason I'll have most of the extras like GPS on it, is to show people how things work, but also have one at the track that I can take off the car for someone who needs/wants one.
Old 06-08-2008, 06:27 PM
RJay
Addict
Rennlist Member

I've had the GPS with my Pista since last fall. Had the Pista for several years now. The GPS is a nice addition can certainly makes life easier without the beacons. The other nice feature is you can set up virtual splits. You teach the unit where the start finish and splits are once and they are there for ever. As you're installing now, makes life easier as you dont need to mount the beacon receiver either. Works really well in conjunction with my autronic.
Old 06-08-2008, 06:31 PM
RJay
Addict
Rennlist Member

Forgot to mention that the GPS splits can be displayed in car to show sector stuff in addition to full lap times and forecasting.
Old 06-08-2008, 06:34 PM
Greg Smith
Three Wheelin'

Kind of OT, but the Pista has live predictive lap times, correct? How well does this feature work?
Old 06-08-2008, 06:36 PM
RJay
Addict
Rennlist Member

One further thing. When you use GPS make sure you unhook your beacon receiver. I forgot to and wound up with a sessions worth of laps that took .1 of a second. Gets real confused.
Old 06-08-2008, 07:37 PM
Chulo
Racer

Good input, guys... Thanks! Gary - are you happy with it as a dash? To help you justify the cost of it, I think you should post some pics....
Old 06-08-2008, 07:50 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Ecstatic..

Oh, and be sure to get the Data Hub and Memory key. Gone are the days of sitting in the hot car fumbling with cables to get your data.. though you still can if you want as the Pista records the same data as the key.. good for redundancy..
Attached Images     
Old 06-08-2008, 08:00 PM
Chulo
Racer

Ecstatic..

Oh, and be sure to get the Data Hub and Memory key. Gone are the days of sitting in the hot car fumbling with cables to get your data.. though you still can if you want as the Pista records the same data as the key.. good for redundancy..
Very nice.... Thanks.
Old 06-08-2008, 08:43 PM
RJay
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Greg Smith
Kind of OT, but the Pista has live predictive lap times, correct? How well does this feature work?
Pretty well. I personally dont have enough brain cells to say how accurate the actual predictions are, but it does give you a good idea, particularly when combined with the split timing, if something you tried in a sector was a winner or a loser.

Quick Reply: AIM GPS