Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2008, 08:46 PM
RJay
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Gary R.
Ecstatic..

Oh, and be sure to get the Data Hub and Memory key. Gone are the days of sitting in the hot car fumbling with cables to get your data.. though you still can if you want as the Pista records the same data as the key.. good for redundancy..
Question on that Gary... does use of the data key require the hub or can the key be plugged directly into the Pista?
Old 06-08-2008, 08:57 PM
DrJupeman
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Does the Pista use the same "Race Studio" software that is used by the AIM kart data loggers? Anyone know?
Old 06-08-2008, 08:58 PM
RJay
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by DrJupeman
Does the Pista use the same "Race Studio" software that is used by the AIM kart data loggers? Anyone know?
Yep, same software.
Old 06-08-2008, 08:59 PM
DrJupeman
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by RJay
Yep, same software.
Ah, cool. One of the karts I bought for my kids came with a MyChron 3 Gold and I'm thinking if I move to DA in the Porsche it might be nice to only have to know how to use one software system. I'm more likely to maximize my use that way.
Old 06-08-2008, 09:04 PM
Circuit Motorsports
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Ah, cool. One of the karts I bought for my kids came with a MyChron 3 Gold and I'm thinking if I move to DA in the Porsche it might be nice to only have to know how to use one software system. I'm more likely to maximize my use that way.
As already said, yes it's the same. The different software options are for the drag racing dashes and the lap timer

http://www.aim-sportline.com/downloa...on_202_eng.pdf

is the manual for the software. One of the first pages has the info on what systems it supports.
Old 06-08-2008, 09:11 PM
Chulo
Racer

Issue is for us Mac guys, we need to use Parallels, or VM Ware. Let's hope that gets changed (not likely).
Old 06-08-2008, 09:41 PM
DrJupeman
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Chulo
Issue is for us Mac guys, we need to use Parallels, or VM Ware. Let's hope that gets changed (not likely).
Yeah, I have an Intel MacBook Pro, so I could do it. What I don't have is a Windows license.
Old 06-08-2008, 10:00 PM
RJay
Addict
Rennlist Member

I've recently got a mac from work that I loaded up fusion on. First thing I tried was running XP Pro to see whether I could talk to the data logger with it. Believe it or not, I could. No guarantees, I normally use an XP laptop, but with Fusion, the mac worked for me.
Old 06-08-2008, 10:10 PM
Chulo
Racer

I've recently got a mac from work that I loaded up fusion on. First thing I tried was running XP Pro to see whether I could talk to the data logger with it. Believe it or not, I could. No guarantees, I normally use an XP laptop, but with Fusion, the mac worked for me.
Parallels or any of the other 'doze emulators work fine. At the risk of hijacking my own thread, it just sucks having to put that OS on a Mac. I have a MB Pro with 4 GB of ram, and its remarkable how much Parallels slows it down. I'll stop now, or this will become a Mac versus Windows oil viscosity/tow vehicle debate.
Old 06-08-2008, 10:36 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 272 Likes on 166 Posts

Question on that Gary... does use of the data key require the hub or can the key be plugged directly into the Pista?
Good question RJay, and I don't have an answer. I would assume it's required, but either way it makes it really easy to get to (it's mounted just to the right of my steering column, if you look closely at pic #1 it's straight up from the gas pedal) and the DaVid can also plug right into if I remember correctly.

Joe - do you know?
Old 06-08-2008, 11:30 PM
Circuit Motorsports
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Originally Posted by Gary R.
Good question RJay, and I don't have an answer. I would assume it's required, but either way it makes it really easy to get to (it's mounted just to the right of my steering column, if you look closely at pic #1 it's straight up from the gas pedal) and the DaVid can also plug right into if I remember correctly.

Joe - do you know?
I missed this the first time it was mentioned. AFAIK it isn't needed but as Gary says it may make it easier. The data hub allows you to add a number of the higher function things like the Lambda kit, GPS and DaVid.

I don't have an MXL in front of me to check and see the interface. It's in NC and I'm in WI doing a final prep for the move to the south. I know that the EVO dash has a plug for downloading data that the data key plugs into and I am pretty sure the MXL has the same basic setup.

The only data key that I've had in stock is being used on a Koni Challenge car so I'll check with how they are plugging it in.
Old 06-09-2008, 12:54 AM
OldGuy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 51 Likes on 11 Posts

I have a question, I have been a GPS systems engineer for 12 years with the navy and just spent 3 years doing some instrumentation engineering Pressure transducers, thermocouples, and fluid measurements.
Seems to me that this could be fairly enexpensive based on racers needs. What are the least expensive systems with full instrumentation ie brake sensors etc. You should be able to use GPS for your acelleration,
braking and movements?
Old 06-09-2008, 01:09 AM
Circuit Motorsports
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Depends on what you need to record. If you can get by with the GPS and 4 other sensors, the Traqmate will get it done for ballpark 1500-1800 depending on the sensors you want. AIM will be closer to 2500-3000 but can get you much more flexibility to add sensors and a much nicer dash. It goes up very quickly from there.

GPS is really only used for speed and locations. Internal accelerometers on some of the dashes can give you some nice accleration, lateral and deceleration forces.
Old 06-09-2008, 06:45 AM
RJay
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Circuit Motorsports
I missed this the first time it was mentioned. AFAIK it isn't needed but as Gary says it may make it easier. The data hub allows you to add a number of the higher function things like the Lambda kit, GPS and DaVid.
So I'm guessing from that statement, that, as there is only one bus connector on the Pista, if you want to run GPS with a data key or a david, you need the hub. Although I thought that the GPS had a passthru. I guess the data key doesnt an would have to sit at the end of the physical chain, which could be very inconvenient.
Old 06-09-2008, 02:30 PM
RickBetterley
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 37 Likes on 18 Posts

Hi all - I'm going to install an AIM Pista in my C2 this week. I'm on the fence in regards to the GPS module. Who has it, and what kind of experience have you had with it? It is worth the $600? What kind of extra data can one expect to get from it?
Hi Ben
Sounds like you are building your car into a replica of mine.
You may recall mine came with the AIM MXL Pista; I added GPS this year and, although I have not been out much, really think it is worth adding.
2 thumbs up!
How's the car?

Quick Reply: AIM GPS