Sponsored by:

Camelback for an enduro?

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2008, 02:12 PM
Lemming
Nordschleife Master

Received 86 Likes on 72 Posts
Default Camelback for an enduro?

So, I've got my first 3hr enduro this Friday and it is going to be hot (92oF). Coolshirt is set up and I will likely refresh it during the pitstop (along with a chicken sammich ). However, last night while preparing the car I realized that I will need drinking water in the car during the race. I have a camelback that I use for dirtbike riding, which should work. I placed the shoulder straps around the head wings (Racetech full containment seat) and used the chest strap to hold the pack in place. The camelback hangs between the shoulder straps and it looks to be fairly secure. I can easily reach the drinking tube using this setup.

So my question is, does this sound like a good setup? Other options? Unfortunately, I don't have a single lap to be able to test it before the enduro on Friday (no practice or qualifying for the race).
Old 06-04-2008, 02:16 PM
Sean F
NASA Racer
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

I use this and like it:

http://store.cdoc.com/detail.asp?id=14590&name=
Old 06-04-2008, 02:46 PM
Mahler9th
Three Wheelin'

Received 120 Likes on 83 Posts

Sounds like it should work okay.

A few other comments:

The little Coleman cooler in the Longacre set up can be had for less than $10 from Coleman for those on a budget.... and you can get the tubing elsewhere.

Gatorade has a system sold by BSR if you want to spend some $$$ and add some weight. I have been in touch with the top researchers at Gatorade as a part of a start-up company working on a product for hydration testing. Their racing product is really more of a marketing deal, but they have worked with racers and have real data.

I am going to try the Camelbak approach this summer. They are an interesting company-- their CEO is a college classmate. They sell a lot to military.
Old 06-04-2008, 03:16 PM
924RACR
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 74 Likes on 59 Posts

I had a Camelback in my car for a long race at Mid-O. Not bad, one thing I will mention is be careful where you place the tube; mine was located such that it touched the center tunnel, and the first shot of drink was very warm/hot! Then it it was fine for a while.

I used a mix of ice, water, and gatorade.
Old 06-04-2008, 03:23 PM
Cory M
Drifting

Received 74 Likes on 43 Posts

I've got an enduro coming up too, my first. I bought the Longacre kit in the link above. We are going to be switching drivers so each driver has their own bottle. I enlarged a vent hole in my helmet a bit and set it up so the tube and bite valve are right next to my mouth, this way I can just slide the tube an inch or so and get a drink, no fiddling with it when I'm flying down the straight. I put coolsuit style dry breaks on the tube about 6" from where it enters my helmet, so I can detach it from my helmet easily. The Longacre bite valve was rather large and bulky so I used one of the small blue Camelback bite valves, it was a direct fit and is a much nicer valve. It worked in the garage last night, I'll be testing it out for real this weekend.
Old 06-04-2008, 04:06 PM
Jimbo951
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I installed a Longacre bottle prior to the WG CR. Mounted to the cage behind the driver's seat. I weaved the hose through the window net. I had the bite valve resting near my left leg. When we got into a double yellow (see Sean's thread), I just picked it up and took a sip for a little pick-me-up.
Old 06-04-2008, 05:14 PM
DrJupeman
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

I use a camelback. Works fine for me.
Old 06-04-2008, 05:39 PM
David K.
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just attach the Camelback to the back of your seat.
Old 06-04-2008, 07:58 PM
Lemming
Nordschleife Master

Received 86 Likes on 72 Posts

Sounds like the camelback is the way to go for this weekend, I even washed the mud off it
Old 06-04-2008, 11:40 PM
BluemaxxRacing
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Tim,

I also use a Camelback. I have a few of them from Mountain Bike Racing and I have assumed one for car racing only. It is my smallest and lightest one and I wear it backwards. In other words, I place it over my chest under my suit and direct the tube up through my neck and up into my helmet. I usually just fill it up with straight water with ice. Not only easier to clean but also keeps me cool down here in FL. Good luck this weekend.
Old 06-05-2008, 12:37 AM
Cory M
Drifting

Received 74 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by Mahler9th
The little Coleman cooler in the Longacre set up can be had for less than $10 from Coleman for those on a budget.... and you can get the tubing elsewhere.
the $55 one comes with their cage mount bracket but you can get a bottle alone with the tubing and bit valve already installed for $15

Camelback should work fine as long as you secure it well, I don't think I'd want it on my chest personally...
Old 06-05-2008, 12:52 AM
lipamax
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Camelback works for me. I would recommend to put more ice then watter. It gets pretty hot in my car. You can mount it behind your seat and run your hose through theseat belt hole above your shoulder.

Quick Reply: Camelback for an enduro?