Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cleaning Severe Brake Dust from Wheels from Track Events

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2008, 04:27 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 179 Likes on 126 Posts

Called CCW and they did not recomend the EZ Off oven cleaner because they feel it would probably take the clear anodizing off. They use Eagle One Wheel Cleaner and a fiber bristle brush to clean caked on brake dust. I asked about the Brake Parts Cleaner and they did not think it would hurt the anodizing but said to try in a small spot 1st to see.
Old 06-04-2008, 06:33 PM
AudiOn19s
Race Car

Received 46 Likes on 37 Posts

I'm telling you guys...wheel acid.

To propery use wear a mask and latex gloves.
Make sure you're cleaning a cool wheel
wet the wheel prior to applying acid.
Spray on acid or acid based cleaner
Let cleaner dwell for 10-15 seconds
Agitate problems areas then the entier wheel with a soap/water solution to neutalize the acid.
Rinse VERY well with water.
Repeat as needed.

**it's a good idea to use a sealant or wheel wax on your expensive track wheels too as it helps.

Andy
Old 06-04-2008, 07:40 PM
KurtC
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What type of sealant and where do you pick it up from? Is there a specific wax for wheels?
Old 06-04-2008, 07:48 PM
porschedog
Rennlist Member

Received 314 Likes on 202 Posts

Star brite Non-Skid Deck Cleaner. This stuff is awesome at removing brake grit. You can get it at West Marine stores. Put it in a spray bottle, rinse the wheels, spray it on let it work, use a soft cloth or brush to wipe it off. Leave a polytetraflouroethylene shine.

I'm a VP for Star brite, so if anyone wants to try the stuff (you'll have to supply your own spray bottle) I'll send a bottle (I have to limit this to ten or risk being yelled at by the boss).
The purists will cringe at "oh my lord, using a boat product on a car" but it works.
Old 06-04-2008, 09:07 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 179 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by porschedog
Star brite Non-Skid Deck Cleaner. This stuff is awesome at removing brake grit. You can get it at West Marine stores. Put it in a spray bottle, rinse the wheels, spray it on let it work, use a soft cloth or brush to wipe it off. Leave a polytetraflouroethylene shine.

I'm a VP for Star brite, so if anyone wants to try the stuff (you'll have to supply your own spray bottle) I'll send a bottle (I have to limit this to ten or risk being yelled at by the boss).
The purists will cringe at "oh my lord, using a boat product on a car" but it works.
WOW, I am a boater and never thought to go look into my boat cleaning supplies! I have a lot of Starbrite products and use the Teflon wax for the front of my car prior track days.
Old 06-18-2008, 10:46 AM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 255 Likes on 157 Posts

I had to clean off the inside of my CCW's yesterday and they were caked with thick, hardened PF97 poo so I tried a few things. Scrubbing with a stiff brush and car wash soap got the easy stuff off. Then I tried Brake-Cleen on the hard stuff. Nothing. Then I tried scraping a bit with a sharp plastic window scraper. Nope. Then I tried Goof-Off, soaking a small rag and laying it on an area. Nada. Then I saw a new box of SOS Soap pads and figured WTH. They worked! Took some elbow grease but it cleaned them up nice, at least the new balance weights will stick now! Can't let them get this bad from now on...
Old 06-18-2008, 05:36 PM
bobt993
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Gary, that does work on the inside, but then I took it one step further and bought one of those stupid foam wheel cleaners you put on the end of a drill (please use at the low setting). I applied metal polish to the foam ball and other than removing the wheel weights, it took everything off clean (almost factory) in no time. It is worth doing to check for cracks and getting your wheels back to neutral before sticking more weights back on.
Old 06-18-2008, 05:50 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 255 Likes on 157 Posts

It took off the thick caked on brake stuff Bob? I actually had to scrape/SOS/scrape/SOS to get it all back to aluminum as I neglected to keep after them and if the PF97 dust gets wet it's gets VERY hard.. I can see using one of those Chip Foose ball polisher thingies once they are close though..
Old 06-18-2008, 06:18 PM
bobt993
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Gary, I am going to do them again this weekend and provide b4 and afta picts. Believe me, I was surprised how well it worked. Felt like getting a Mr. microphone and going on the cable promo channel.
Old 07-09-2015, 04:07 PM
infidel
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by porschedog

Thank you Porschedog for your post. Star brite Non-Skid Deck Cleaner did an unbelievable job on a set of polished aluminum wheels that were severely neglected with years of PFC01 dust just left to cake after a bunch of track events.
Sorry for reincarnating this oldie, but a google search thankfully led me here.

Quick Reply: Cleaning Severe Brake Dust from Wheels from Track Events