Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cleaning Severe Brake Dust from Wheels from Track Events

Old 06-03-2008, 04:24 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,395 Likes on 744 Posts

Probably slightly more aggressive, easy on rotors (my experience), easy to warm up.
Old 06-03-2008, 04:25 PM
KOAN
Rennlist Member

Received 159 Likes on 110 Posts

try 3M adhesive remover. It can be used on the clear coat without hurting it, but you should re-wax them. To reduce the amount of dust that stays on the wheels in the first place, I have had great success with REJEX, an industrial type synthetic wax that has been discussed on the Rennlist before. It can handle the heat, and seems to significantly reduce the amount of dust that I've had to deal with. It is great on the paint, windows...No affiliation, etc.
Old 06-03-2008, 04:52 PM
cie_lab
Billowing in the Wind
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I bought a set of wheels that were coated in brake dust. By accident I found out that Armor All removed the dust. YMMV, but it worked for me.
Old 06-03-2008, 11:02 PM
todinlaw
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My wife makes a tofoo chili that may work. Seriously, I use a bug & tar remover then I put down a good layer of wax frequently.
Old 06-03-2008, 11:47 PM
Bri Bro
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by George3
I'm nervous to try EZ Off Oven Cleaner. I had to replace the top of my stove one time.
Bet the metal was aluminum.

One of the ingredents in Easy Off is sodium hydroxide (NaOH). You find it in a lot cleaning products like oven cleaner and drain cleaners. The problem is that NaOH will dissolve aluminum oxides. Easy Off also makes a great paint remover, it is inexpensive and people use it to strip car paint. If you use it make sure it doesn't sit too long and get it ALL off of aluminum or painted wheels.
Old 06-04-2008, 12:22 AM
F350Lawman
Racer

Simple Green mixed a little stronger than 10 to1 and a soft brush takes it right off.
Old 06-04-2008, 04:03 AM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 179 Likes on 126 Posts

George, I have the same CCW wheels as you do and although my wheels were wax with RejeX they brake dust still caked on. I got just about all of it off with brake cleaner. I got this tip from a Indy car crew member. They also use this aerosol spray degreaser that works ok but most use brake parts cleaner.
Old 06-04-2008, 05:51 AM
kgorman
Drifting

Received 41 Likes on 22 Posts

+1 simple green. I mix it very diluted and let the wheel sit in it in a large bucket for about 20m, then it wipes off with a towel
Old 06-04-2008, 07:13 AM
MUSSBERGER
uninformed gas bag
(contemplating on whether gas bag is one or two words)
Rennlist Member

Received 171 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by Brian Broderick
Bet the metal was aluminum.

One of the ingredents in Easy Off is sodium hydroxide (NaOH). You find it in a lot cleaning products like oven cleaner and drain cleaners. The problem is that NaOH will dissolve aluminum oxides. Easy Off also makes a great paint remover, it is inexpensive and people use it to strip car paint. If you use it make sure it doesn't sit too long and get it ALL off of aluminum or painted wheels.
I used Easy Off to help strip the anodizing off a set of Fuchs that I refinished. Be careful with it!
Old 06-04-2008, 08:27 AM
George3
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

Well, I tried all the stuff you guys recommended. The best one was EZ Off oven cleaner. You see, my problem was not brake DUST, it was brake dust baked and caked on pretty bad. Like crud. It took me an hour with the safety glasses and rubber gloves and wire brush and scotch pad, but I was only able to get about 93% of it off. Still look a lot better

Thanks guys !!!

Old 06-04-2008, 08:42 AM
dnitake
Racer

Acetone. Not sure if it takes the clearcoat off too, but it removes the baked on stuff...
Old 06-04-2008, 09:03 AM
AudiOn19s
Race Car

Received 46 Likes on 37 Posts

Did the brake dust get wet and then dry again on the surface of the wheel...or is it simply buildup?

You may be able to get the rest of it out with an acid based wheel cleaner. I actualy use straight wheel acid cut 50/50 with water on tougher jobs but you have to be very careful and be maticulous with your process to insure you don't harm the finish of your wheels (which you already tried a scotchbright pad on???).

There's also a couple of commercially available acid based cleaners that are formulated to be safe(er) as long as you use them as directed. Check out Meguiars Wheel Brightener or Poorboys Spray and Rinse ('cept you really still have to scrub with it so I don't understand the name). As with the oven cleaner use a mask and gloves when using acid on your wheels.

Andy
Well, I tried all the stuff you guys recommended. The best one was EZ Off oven cleaner. You see, my problem was not brake DUST, it was brake dust baked and caked on pretty bad. Like crud. It took me an hour with the safety glasses and rubber gloves and wire brush and scotch pad, but I was only able to get about 93% of it off. Still look a lot better

Thanks guys !!!

Old 06-04-2008, 09:46 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,395 Likes on 744 Posts

Thanks guys !!!

Toldya!
Old 06-04-2008, 11:10 AM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 179 Likes on 126 Posts

Well I've got to try the EZ-OFF on my CCW wheels this weekend. There does not seem to be a clearcoat on CCW wheels. Anyway maybe I will take one of those Mothers Polishing ***** and shine them up a little because the silver CCW wheels are rather dull.
Old 06-04-2008, 12:23 PM
kgorman
Drifting

Received 41 Likes on 22 Posts

I would call CCW before doing that...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Cleaning Severe Brake Dust from Wheels from Track Events