Sponsored by:

Video of my wreck at the Glen race

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2008, 12:20 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,609 Likes on 836 Posts

Originally Posted by 1957 356
I feel bad for Steve in the 85...he did a great job and never saw it coming. He has a crazy code brown video. After the wreck, he's in the middle of the track facing traffic as it splits around and by him.

Sound familiar VR?
Ugh. Far too familiar.

-Crest of a blind hill? check

-Entire field charging at WOT directly at you? check

-Damaged car of onknown severity? check

-Racing stripes in nomex? check
Old 06-02-2008, 12:21 PM
MHC2S
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 15 Posts

What was the Red 944 thinking????

Maybe next time he should go by even faster, what a doo doo head.
Old 06-02-2008, 12:24 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by DrJupeman
Roger that, I re-watched (about 10 times) and think that's what happens. It'd be interesting to see the video from Steve (#85).

I'm glad no one was hurt. Accidents in the esses can be dangerous (so fast!).
My second-ever lap on the Glen, I got tapped by a faster driver who mistakenly bounced off the last curb in the esses and hit my RR bumper. Spun me clockwise across the track, miraculously missing hitting him, I caught the spin & ended up on the grass on track right just after the end of the esses, rolling backwards (straight), facing traffic. Engine remained running. I stuck my fingers thru the window net as I waited for the cornerworker to give me the "go" signal.....and I touched Armco. That is how close it was. I know the feeling.

He was a total 100% quality person (still is) and came over after the session ended and profusely apologized. I apologized to him for being so slow, and we had a good laugh (no damage to my car).
Old 06-02-2008, 12:26 PM
Sean F
NASA Racer
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by DrJupeman
Roger that, I re-watched (about 10 times) and think that's what happens. It'd be interesting to see the video from Steve (#85).

I'm glad no one was hurt. Accidents in the esses can be dangerous (so fast!).

So, how many thirteens issued? I'd say two look deserved...
Not sure how many 13's were given. Steve and I were obviously clear. Not sure what happened up front of us or with the red 944. The stewards talked to us one by one and then let Steve and I go. Not sure how it ended up. If I had to issue them, based on Steve's video I would have given one to the 101 car and the red 944.
Old 06-02-2008, 12:42 PM
FredC
Drifting

Received 68 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
WOW.

Looks like the 101 (yellow) got 2 wheels in the dirt after the T1 track out curb, then was way offline entering the esses, then may have tried to come back on line (drivers right) w/o seeing the 113 in his blind spot. 113 then tagged him. Amazing to see how fast the red 944 was going there with all the spinning ahead. Glad you weren't hurt.
It was the 911 (Doug Crossman #902) in front of car 101 who put 2 in the dirt - He went over the curb to stay outside of me as i was sliding a little and then he came back on the track right behind me at that place (dirt spot).
Old 06-02-2008, 12:48 PM
RonCT
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Sean, so sorry to hear (and see). Glad that you're OK!
Old 06-02-2008, 12:50 PM
TD in DC
Race Director

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sean,

I am incredibly sorry to see this. It seems like YOU did I nice job before, during and after the incident. I know that is a small consolation.

TD
Old 06-02-2008, 12:51 PM
Jim Sullivan
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 1957 356
Not sure how many 13's were given. Steve and I were obviously clear. Not sure what happened up front of us or with the red 944. The stewards talked to us one by one and then let Steve and I go. Not sure how it ended up. If I had to issue them, based on Steve's video I would have given one to the 101 car and the red 944.
What a bummer. Sorry about the car, but glad it's just a racing story and no injuries. Your camera tells the whole story for you - completely innocent and doing just what you should have been to avoid the mayhem in front of you. Were there cameras in cars behind? Would you have been able to so easily support your story without the camera? It's a real sales pitch for all of us for onboard video.
Old 06-02-2008, 12:58 PM
BostonDMD
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

What the F#$@ was the 944 guy that tagged you thinking????
Was he blind?
You have the right to be pissed.....

But more importantly, I am glad you are OK......
Old 06-02-2008, 12:59 PM
ilko
Agent Orange
Rennlist Member

Received 555 Likes on 199 Posts

Sean, I'm sorry to see what happened to you but I'm glad you're OK. Unfortunately I've been in your shoes and it sucks. Just be glad you're not hurt. Hope you're back out there soon!
Old 06-02-2008, 12:59 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by constaf
It was the 911 (Doug Crossman #902) in front of car 101 who put 2 in the dirt - He went over the curb to stay outside of me as i was sliding a little and then he came back on the track right behind me at that place (dirt spot).
Ah, OK, my mistake!
Old 06-02-2008, 01:21 PM
Plavan
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Wow. That is unfortunate. Glad everyone was ok.

Just curious- what Video camera are you using? The footage was nice and clear.
Old 06-02-2008, 01:41 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 272 Likes on 166 Posts

Sean - Just went and looked at the car more closely, sorry to say it's done. Time to start looking for an SC with a blown engine, etc. like I did and swap A to B..
Old 06-02-2008, 01:43 PM
Sean F
NASA Racer
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

yeah...I knew it yesterday when I dropped it off and got the hood opened.
Old 06-02-2008, 01:45 PM
RedlineMan
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dang;

I'm glad you're OK, Sean. Hope everything else works out, car-wise. Of course, I'd be interested in how all of the safety systems functioned.

This is one of the things that keeps me away from racing. Hells Bells... we can't even get DE people to figure out how to do Point & Pass properly. How are we ever going to trust them to have the judgement necessary to get through the first lap of a race - of any length - without wrecking people? NO ONE EVER won a race on lap one.

I know full well that one must rationalize this sort of thing in order to be out there. Everything happens quickly, and you don't always make the right judgement, but what in the H was the red 944 thinking? Everyone seemed to be doing a great job. It was a 2-car wreck until he came along.

I can't justify poor judgement. I just couldn't swallow it. It's all so unecessary.

Quick Reply: Video of my wreck at the Glen race