Sponsored by:

Wind deflector for tow vehicle

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2008, 01:26 AM
JR944
Pro

Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Wind deflector for tow vehicle

I'm contemplating a 3,600 mile trip from Denver to include Barber and Brainerd. My truck is a gas 3/4ton 6l towing an ATC flat front 24' trailer. Yes, I'm an idiot, but the race car is currently in St. Louis anyway. (long story)

In any case, with the cost of fuel where it is, even a 1mpg improvement would pay for one of these deflectors on this trip alone. http://icontechltd.com/ProductCart/p...-deflector.asp

Does anyone have any experience with one of these or something similar? I met a fellow at Putnam several years ago who had fabricated a wing to mount on the roof rack of his Expedition and claimed a substantial increase in mileage.

My truck has a topper, but no roof rack.

Thanks for your thoughts/suggestions,

Joe
Attached Images  
Old 06-02-2008, 10:18 AM
DrJupeman
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Good question, Joe, I wonder if these things help at all.
Old 06-02-2008, 11:56 AM
JR944
Pro

Thanks Charlie: I sure hope there's someone on here who has tried one of these.

Here are the three options I've found so far:

Least expensive is this one: Brand name is Fiber-lite, by Nudo: http://www.nudo.com/WindDeflectors/
The 24x60" is about $300 plus shipping from JCWhitney

The one pictured above is made by a company in Canada named Icon, is about 56x22" and costs about $350 plus shipping and/or tax from Camping World

These guys seem to have a number of solutions but have one of the worst websites I've ever seen. Submitted my info to them last night and will see what they recommend. www.2wtd.com. You can see some of their stuff at this link: http://www.2wtd.com/deflectors-2wtd.htm
Old 06-02-2008, 12:19 PM
RICHVIZZ951
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had done some research re these and spoke to many people with them. I would Think they would definately help with mileage and the aero effect, however I was told by just about everyone that had one the main thing they do is keep the bugs off the trailer, not much more. I never bought one as a result..
Old 06-02-2008, 05:24 PM
Dakota
Track Day

I purchased and used one on my last trip to Brainerd (Spring Fling that was snowed out) a 350 mile one way for me. I have an Ford F350DRW pulling a 45' Haulmark trailer. I made the decision to try it as every semi you see on the road has a fairing. The company claims 2 to 3 mpg.
It is extremely difficult to compare a rig with/without fairing as it is hard to get a good scientific test. In general I got 1 to 2 mpg, but have only used it once. There is a bit of wind noise. Another factor is the fairing is the width of the truck, but the trailer is in total 3 feet wider. 1mpg will be payback.
Old 06-02-2008, 05:38 PM
joel-cs
Instructor

don't you then need a front splitter to keep the nose planted
Old 06-02-2008, 06:54 PM
SCOTITUDE
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I used the 48" variable pitch one from JC Whitney (http://www.jcwhitney.com/autoparts/I...D:100000170795) when I had my suburban and a taller trailer. At 10 mpg towing I welcomed a 1-2 mpg increase but never checked to see if it really worked. If it was only in my head it did feel a little better than towing a brick.The only issue I see with your truck is where to strap it down. I used to strap it to the roof rack. The suction cups hold it down somewhat but the straps have small angled clips that need to grab onto something. At $139 I think it will do the trick.

THE BRACKET KIT, necessary if you don't have rain gutters is offered through JC Whitney, but is hard to find, SO the part number is: ZX811252 (as of 5-15-2008)
Old 06-02-2008, 06:57 PM
Kurt R
Hates Family Guy
Rennlist Member

Received 56 Likes on 38 Posts

I would look at getting a bubble for the front of the trailer. Seems like that would do more good than the deflector since the trailer is wider than the truck.
http://www.2wtd.com/bubble-wind-deflectors-big.htm
Old 06-06-2008, 05:14 PM
JR944
Pro

I just ordered the 17"x60" from JCWhitney. Chose it more on the basis of cost and convenience than any science. The bubble fronts for the trailer are $650+ shipping from www.nosecone.com and the guys with the lousy website didn't respond to my inquiry.

Hopefully, it will arrive in time for my trip starting 6/16 and I can report on it then.
Old 06-06-2008, 06:04 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,647 Likes on 764 Posts

We run a F350 dually with a 44' Optima trailer.
We do some long distance running (115K miles in a little over 2 years), usually 85MPH + if traffic allows.

Over the many years, tow vehicles and different trailers and being a lot of truck forums we found out that those spoilers are only good for keeping the bugs of your trailer.

You would think that it would save fuel, but we could never show 1MPG better and that is what most people agree with us on. We could never go any faster with a spoiler.

What DOES make a huge difference is a tapered nose and a bubble, that is good for 1.5 - 2 MPG!
We were towing a lighter 32ft trailer the other day and it was amazing how much slower we were able to go, and that shows in MPG also.

if anyone is thinking about ordering a trailer, always spend the money for at least a bubble, if you need all the space inside. Even better would be a lowered roof, tapered nose and a bubble, but Optima would not build it for us.

Looks like I posted too late, but my advice is don't waste time and money on a spoiler!
Attached Images   
Old 06-07-2008, 01:17 AM
JR944
Pro

Thanks Trakcar

Anyone want to buy a brand-new, still-in-the-box, roof spoiler? I'll bet it would make great downforce on a race car!

Joe
Old 06-07-2008, 11:44 AM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,647 Likes on 764 Posts

Well put it on, I hope you prove me wrong !

Quick Reply: Wind deflector for tow vehicle