Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Give me your enduro race suggestions--first 12 hour race coming 6/14

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2008, 10:30 AM
Phokaioglaukos
Rennlist Member

Received 60 Likes on 40 Posts

Thanks for the helpful suggestions. We're renting a SSM car (that's the more-stock, regional variety of Spec Miata that is hugely popular in the Washington DC SCCA region that runs a series at Summit Point--we had 52 cars registered for the sprint race yesterday and I can 33rd....) from RP Performance which will support our car and three others in the 12 Hours. RP has had the winning Miata four times in the last five years, or something like that. They know their business.

Our team's goal is to finish cleanly. The 11 gallon fuel tank is good for about two hours, but we will probably make more driver changes than strictly necessary. I think we'll all want some of the night driving experience, for example. We will have cool shirts and radios, but we had not planned on in-car hydration. We'll have to consider that. RP will fit a light bar to the car and we'll use the Friday night practice to align the lights. We'll have dark film on the mirrors and tape on the back window to deal with the lights at night.

Because we'll be in a Miata and it's a multi-class race, there will be many faster cars on the track with us. Any thoughts how to address that, especially at night when it's hard to know who is behind us?
Old 06-02-2008, 02:39 PM
mrbill_fl
Race Car

Received 48 Likes on 42 Posts

my .02 (worth about that)

for drinks, get a 1 or 1/2 gallon thermos drink bottle and run a clear hose down the drink spout and a camel back bite valve. (cheaper, faster refill, and larger than most bottles). get 2 one for water 2nd for gatoraid.

Zebra stripe the rear glass with racers tape... so you won't get blinded by big lights. (allows you to move your head a little, and use the tape for a shield)

Save the brakes! running slower times should save the pads.. consistent 8/10's laps should save the equipment for the end.

Big $$$ lights are not as important as good lights aimed at the apex, some 55watt hella's aimed 30-50 yds (crossed) ahead at the apex should work better than HID's aimed down track. (combined with high beams)

Have a pit board and go over signals in case the radios break, same for driver... (ie., one finger = pitting in 1 lap)

-add a colored light to the roof or behind the driver, (green/ blue ?) so crew can see its your car.

Last edited by mrbill_fl; 06-02-2008 at 03:56 PM.
Old 06-03-2008, 06:21 AM
hammerwerfer
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Drive your own car. Don't worry so much about the faster traffic. They can see you and will get by if you don't do anything stupid. Signal your intent if it isn't clear.

Tinted rear windows help.

Don't get tooo carried away with powerful lights in a small car. They do put a bit of drag on the engine, and we used to shut off our big lights on the straights.

Practice the driver changes. Remember to loosen the shoulder belts on the way in to the pits. Mark the seat positions and belt adjustments for each driver.

Use bungees or the like to hold the belts out of the seat between changes. Nothing worse than sitting on the belts for killing some time.

Last edited by hammerwerfer; 06-03-2008 at 10:38 AM.
Old 06-03-2008, 09:24 AM
Rassel
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by hammerwerfer

Use bungees or the like to hold the belts out of the seat between changes. Nothing worse than siting on the belts for killing some time.
+1034578657!
Old 06-03-2008, 03:02 PM
gums
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I've done that race, and 13 hours at VIR, both twice. Best advice is that lights are critical, it's much darker than you think out there, and we are looking for little reference points at high speed. That, and the pit stops are the key. Get every single one of them down to the minute or minute and a half that you are alotted. No sense working your *** off to pick up 15 seconds on track, then dump over a minute on a pit stop.
Old 06-16-2008, 08:56 PM
Kurt R
Hates Family Guy
Rennlist Member

Received 56 Likes on 38 Posts

So how did you finish?
The team I was crewing for took the lead after the second red flag, we were 3 seconds a lap faster than the rest of the field in the rain. Then the ecu took a crap and stranded the car on course, we lost a bunch of laps and ended up 21st overall.

It looked like a 944S2 smacked the wall pretty hard in Friday's first practice.
Old 06-16-2008, 09:14 PM
bobt993
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Kurt, we felt for you guys. I was instructing over at Jefferson sorting my car from the last race dent. We saw the course go red from the weather for a long time.
Old 06-16-2008, 09:58 PM
VaSteve
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Phokaioglaukos
Thanks for the helpful suggestions. We're renting a SSM car (that's the more-stock, regional variety of Spec Miata that is hugely popular in the Washington DC SCCA region that runs a series at Summit Point--we had 52 cars registered for the sprint race yesterday and I can 33rd....) from RP Performance which will support our car and three others in the 12 Hours. RP has had the winning Miata four times in the last five years, or something like that. They know their business.

One of those RP Miatas smacked the wall pretty good after dark. I hope that wasn't you. I know there's another Rennlister/GT-3 owner that was running his white Miata. That got banged as well but got back in the game and I assumed finished.

Originally Posted by Kurt R
So how did you finish?
The team I was crewing for took the lead after the second red flag, we were 3 seconds a lap faster than the rest of the field in the rain. Then the ecu took a crap and stranded the car on course, we lost a bunch of laps and ended up 21st overall.

It looked like a 944S2 smacked the wall pretty hard in Friday's first practice.

Kurt who were you crewing for? That 944 was a turbo and it's now a parts car...assuming you only need a passenger side. I was in the Carosel watching our team practice. I heard that car got 5 feet off the ground in the impact.

Originally Posted by bobt993
Kurt, we felt for you guys. I was instructing over at Jefferson sorting my car from the last race dent. We saw the course go red from the weather for a long time.
Gotta watch out for you Resientoter guys! We're sitting in the pits and a dark grey 996 with Dougherty graphics and numbers comes pulling up the pit lane in the middle of the race!! We all thought the driver was going to pull onto the course. Weather delay sucked. Both times, we got caught out in the middle of a pit stop with a wheel off.

The team I was crewing for won ITS (white e30). We battled this blue and white 240 Z all day on for him to disappear at the end of the race. While sitting in impound, they rolled it by on the flatbed. As I understand it, he driver went off into the skid pad and hit a tree.

I had fun with the camera...I'll update with the rest of the photos when they are done loading.

Shot at 2008-06-15
Old 06-16-2008, 10:06 PM
Bill L Seifert
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That race brings bad memories. When we did it, one of our drivers hit the wall on his first lap. Sorta fixed that, blew a head gasket, fixed that, then broke the radiator. What an awful weekend. Prepare as much as you can, and don't wreck.

Bill Seifert

1987 944S Race Car
1999 Honda Civic Race Car
Old 06-16-2008, 10:15 PM
bobt993
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Gotta watch out for you Resientoter guys! We're sitting in the pits and a dark grey 996 with Dougherty graphics and numbers comes pulling up the pit lane in the middle of the race!! We all thought the driver was going to pull onto the course. Weather delay sucked. Both times, we got caught out in the middle of a pit stop with a wheel off.

Sorry Kurt, can't stop stupid moves by some of our novice drovers................. My guess is he was looking for gas did not have a track map....LOL! Did they make you guys sit out the flag or did they let the racers exit the cars and cover em up?

BTW drove Summit today for the first time since last year. The track almost seems worse in T1 and T5 from before the repave.
Old 06-16-2008, 10:27 PM
VaSteve
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by bobt993
Did they make you guys sit out the flag or did they let the racers exit the cars and cover em up?

BTW drove Summit today for the first time since last year. The track almost seems worse in T1 and T5 from before the repave.

The drivers had to stay in the cars during the rain delay. They were allowed to cover them up, but they had to stay in the car. We were in the middle of a wheel change (both times). We had to drop tools and sit under the canopy and dodge the drippings when it filled up!

It's universally decided that the new repave isn't wearing well.
Old 06-17-2008, 12:17 AM
Kurt R
Hates Family Guy
Rennlist Member

Received 56 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by VaSteve
Kurt who were you crewing for?
I was with the two Integras right next to you. I was the guy usually out on pit lane directing the car in, then jacking the car.
Gotta watch out for you Resientoter guys! We're sitting in the pits and a dark grey 996 with Dougherty graphics and numbers comes pulling up the pit lane in the middle of the race!! We all thought the driver was going to pull onto the course.
I saw that guy - that was a WTF moment. Did you see the refueling fire on the RX-7 early in the race? That was pretty scary.
Old 06-17-2008, 07:40 AM
VaSteve
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Kurt R
I was with the two Integras right next to you. I was the guy usually out on pit lane directing the car in, then jacking the car.

I saw that guy - that was a WTF moment. Did you see the refueling fire on the RX-7 early in the race? That was pretty scary.

D'oh! If I known, I would have said hi. I was wearing a dark grey hat that said Porsche and carrying the camera or installing wheels. The fire was scary.... I got some photos of the aftermath. I'm surprised they could still drive it.

Here's some photos of the event ...you might be in one.
http://www.kodakgallery.com/BrowsePh...8685664&page=1
Old 06-17-2008, 09:39 AM
Professor Helmüt Tester
Burning Brakes

Received 36 Likes on 11 Posts

The drivers had to stay in the cars during the rain delay. They were allowed to cover them up, but they had to stay in the car.
Whoever told you guys that drivers had to stay in the cars during a black-flag was incorrect. Drivers may exit the car...and a good portion of the field did climb out and find other shelter.
Old 06-17-2008, 01:08 PM
Phokaioglaukos
Rennlist Member

Received 60 Likes on 40 Posts

One of those RP Miatas smacked the wall pretty good after dark. I hope that wasn't you. I know there's another Rennlister/GT-3 owner that was running his white Miata. That got banged as well but got back in the game and I assumed finished.
Not me, but a teammate so we were out at 9-3/4 hours. The rental car is pretty banged up, but the driver is fine. Just ego damage. We had a great experience and were running well (for a novice team). I will definitely do this again next year. Now I have to get ready for MARRS 3 in my car.

The white SM car that went off in T5 (causing a double yellow) did finish, and the driver is fine, too. She seemed pretty upbeat at the end.

Quick Reply: Give me your enduro race suggestions--first 12 hour race coming 6/14