Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cool Shirt

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2008, 04:02 AM
kgorman
Drifting

Received 41 Likes on 22 Posts

I thought I saw on Speed that ALMS teams (I think it was ALMS) were forming blocks of ice in the transporter freezer the same size as the cooler, and would just drop in a new block during a stop. They used aluminum forms the same size as the cooler (or a wee bit smaller) to freeze the water in.
Old 07-01-2008, 06:00 PM
Phokaioglaukos
Rennlist Member

Received 56 Likes on 39 Posts

Have you seen an installation of the cooler box in a 996 done without drilling holes or otherwise making a permanent change?
Old 07-01-2008, 06:03 PM
Ritter v4.0
Rennlist Member

Received 99 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by kgorman
I thought I saw on Speed that ALMS teams (I think it was ALMS) were forming blocks of ice in the transporter freezer the same size as the cooler, and would just drop in a new block during a stop. They used aluminum forms the same size as the cooler (or a wee bit smaller) to freeze the water in.
Kenny- thats what I was thinking- just form a big block of ice, but small enough to clear the pump at the bottom and to allow a little water.
Old 07-01-2008, 06:11 PM
Phokaioglaukos
Rennlist Member

Received 56 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by Ritter
Kenny- thats what I was thinking- just form a big block of ice, but small enough to clear the pump at the bottom and to allow a little water.
We did that for a 12-hour race in a 24 quart container. It lasted the whole time. To make the block of ice I created a cardboard form in the inside dimensions of the cooler, lined the box with a garbage back, filled the bad with cube ice and then added water to just about fill the form and popped it in the freezer at home. By morning I had a block of ice that I transported to the track in a cooler. My only error was in picking a too-thin plastic garbage bag. I got a small leak that I probably would not have gotten had I used an outdoor, lawn/garden style bag. I also allowed the bag to have a fold in it so that the block of ice had included in it some of the bag. I chipped that out with a pick so that it would not clog the pump when the ice melted enough to free the plastic.

Were I doing it all over again I would take the time to find some plastic food storage containers to use as forms for ice blocks. That, or make a more durable, multiple-use form out of plexiglas or something.
Old 07-01-2008, 07:38 PM
Joe L
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by gums
I like to run 90 minute enduros solo, and now I usually just go without the thing altogether. And I do a lot of cycling in the heat to train, that seems to work best!
I see you are from the 'Scott Pruett School of Endurance Racing'...

Competitive Advantage is a relative term I guess
Old 07-01-2008, 08:33 PM
gums
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

My car demands fitness, it's really taxing to drive. In the Spec Miata I've double stinted, that's 3 hours! No way in the Porsche.
Old 07-02-2008, 10:25 AM
Ritter v4.0
Rennlist Member

Received 99 Likes on 47 Posts

What about those blue plastic cooler paks- do they last longer than ice?

Quick Reply: Cool Shirt